Sign in to follow this  
monkeygod11

Sitting for a month

Looking for some advice

I'm going on Holiday for a month and I'm trying to work out what to do with my 2009 135is.

A trickle charger is sadly not an option.

The battery is only a month old, will it be ok to sit for a month? Is it ok to disconnect the negative (the car will be outside so needs to be locked, would I need to leave the back seats down to then crawl though to unlock the boot on return) 

Or is my best option giving it to a friend to take on a 30+ min drive weekly?

Appreciate the advice. 

One month should be fine, no need to drive it. Run the fuel down to 1/4 a tank if you can.

If you disconnect the battery then any alarm won't work (properly) but if that's not a concern can't you lock and unlock the boot with a key? Either way, unless there's an electrical problem with the car the battery should be fine after a month.

Enjoy the holiday!

Thanks for the advice Dave

I'll make sure I have about a quarter of a tank and just lock it up while I'm away.

Haha not had the car long, never thought to check if there was a key hole on the boot, I bet you're right and there is!

Cheers :)

Is the new battery the same as original ? Has the vehicle been checked for parasitic drain ? Has the new battery been registered to the vehicle  and all battery fault codes cleared ?

Same battery as original

Not been checked for parasitic drain

New battery has been registered and any fault codes have been cleared. 

You should be fine if there is no parasitic drain. Did the battery installer not check for that or just didn't mention he had ?

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Ok sweet thanks.

I'm not sure, didn't think to ask, what do you need to do to check if there's any parasitic drain? I can get hold of a scanner that's able to register batteries if that can do it?

What was the reason to replace the battery? any issues ?

The fault codes, frequency and history relating to the battery issue are probably all lost now. It's something that should be recorded and saved when dealing with all modern vehicles to be able to track history and the appropriate repair and result from the repair when dealing with any issues... it's a game to cover your arse.