Sign in to follow this  
qube

2003 M3 - $23,000

12 hours ago, Blackie said:

Breaking which law?

It used to come under the “driving an unroadworthy vehicle on a public road” legislation, where the vehicle was ordered off the road to be “made good” + points + fine.

Things have changed a bit now, with the number plate recognition cameras linked to the central databases. The main area would probably be under the compulsory insurance, any undeclared modification would invalidate the insurance and bingo - off on a tow truck she goes.

99% of insurance companies run a mile at modifications, even non-factory alloys, and either decline to quote or hike the premium by 500%. The few that do cover modified cars want evidence for Africa that it’s been done by the book.

The good old days where I sold repaired crash damaged (cut-and-shut) / stolen recovered cars to pay for uni are well and truly gone.

16 hours ago, bradgalbraith said:

The sellers reason for not certifying the car is because it would 'devalue it'. Don't see the logic in that but anyways..

I kind of get that in a way. That plate riveted in does give me a bad buzz - it looks tacky / irreversible. 

But I agree he'd be better off just selling it stock and selling the KWs separately - he'd get more that way too. 

Isn't the cert like $400? The cost of the cert, or swapping factory shocks+springs, isn't too bad. The coilovers are a quality set, at this point the cert is nothing more than a box-ticking exercise and a donation to the government coffers, hardly something that should scare a serious buyer.

Only concern is the seller might be have been trying to avoid spending money on the car for a while, and there are more issues, but you'd be checking for that if you're a keen buyer anyway. 

Edited by Matth5

Certs are $650 now days

and no it’s more than a tick the box exercise now far more extensive as the onus falls on the certifier to make sure it is done correctly and if you have a smash he’s not up for manslaughter charger.

It now takes a good 3hours or more to certify a vehicle with moderate modification properly. Every single nut and bolt is photographed and documented by the certifier (the good ones at least) and anything that is not up to standard get written on a list of “remedials”

I have been getting certs for years and know the rules like the back of my hand and even on my latest cert I got a list of remedials and the length I had to go to prove removal of side airbags were dandy and the remainder of the system was still functioning ect made me realise how difficult certification has become. 

You also used to be able to convert the likes of trailing arm systems into full coilovers, now you’d struggle without proper documentation to back up that the arm can handle the load, the bolt system is sound and the suspension geometry doesn’t change through the full travel.

So no it’s not a tick the box exercise. You should see the paperwork certifiers have to fill out! It’s no wonder some are going to the electronic system now on an iPad to do it all.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2019 at 5:18 AM, aja540i said:

It bugs me that it says its 4wd.....

All NZ new E46 M3's are registered as 4wd.

• Confused 1