Sign in to follow this  
hunter

ABS Pump reconditioning/ replacement for E39 530i.

ABS Pump reconditioning/ replacement for E39 530i.
After brake fluid change pump has begun to fail. Spongy pedal and poor performance. Diagnosed by dealer and recommendation is new pump, however cost of new unit is currently prohibitive, so seeking rebuild recommendations.

have read this thread below, but not too sure if the pump ( Hydraulic) and and module (eletrci) need to be fixed / replaced together

note" after 3 hard stops when driving recnetly the pressure returned to the peddal, more or less as i wouldexpect it to feel. :huh:

Edited by hunter
spelling

Seems very odd a brake fluid change would that. What method was used to remove fluid? Was the pump modulated as part of the change?

Thats what "eccentuated" lets say - after thechange along with pads too, it's very poor peddal feel and long / spongy travel. not like that before hand.

The change was done at the dealer here in Hams and I have been told the pump was modulated as part of the change. 

Is it possible that is certain teps werent done completley it could be air in the line?

I forgot to add above (have now edited) that after 3 hard stops the pressure returned to the peddal, more or less as i wouldexpect it to feel.

Edited by hunter

New pads always lack that bite until bedded in but doesn't sound like that is the case. Were the rotors still serviceable?

I don't know what the dealerships procedure or tools are for changing pads or fluid so its hard to speculate. It's possible they may introduced air or forced contained fluid up steam causing an issue etc but i would expect a dealership to be able to check and eliminate all the basic variables before forming the worst case scenario (which they may well of done, obviously idk)

Guess you either have to trust their diagnosis, get a second opinion or check it yourself.

If it was my cars bleed to the system (power bleeder in my case) to make sure there was no air, clamp all the brake lines and remove them one by one to see if pedal improved. if it you can narrow it down to that specific caliper - sticking, trapped air.  If it didn't then i would expect master cylinder bypassing, air in ABS or the actual ABS unit as they said (sounds like a rare occurrence to me)

Cheers @Eagle

Pads, fluid and dics were changed. long pedal travel is the main symptom of whatever issues there is. im assured correct process was follwed for fluid change - i have no reason t odoubt that, to a degree. as it cannot be explained why the pump failure is the current line of thinking / resolution (an expensive one at that) i also have no warning lights or codes.

my gut tells me 2nd opinion is needed to satisfy the "Why" question I still have. As pressure comes back after hard braking  with a soft pedal (ABS works during this), this kind if feels like air in the line ( my brake problem experience is limited)

Unfortunatley i do not have the tools or the skills / time to get stuck int othis myself so will be seeking a local indy to review

I'd still be checking for air in the system first by vacuum bleeding

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

I'd still be checking for air in the system first by vacuum bleeding

Thanks Glenn, well prepared to do this and car is booked in for 2nd opinion friday will be requesting they bleed the lines as part of process. 

would rather pay for a bunch of new fluiod over the cost of a new (to me) pump i dont need. fingers crossed.

Car returned after more bleeding to confrim defo no air in lines, other areas of the system re-checked also, no issues.

Pedal feel is a little bett er after re-bleed, but still softer / more intermittant than i would like or expect...

Am giving pads & discs some time to bed in.

to satisfy my curiosity on what in the pump could be going on, have spoken to SafeRbrakes in chch who advised it is likley the bypass vavle in the pump sticking. this issue wouldnt throw codes and they have seen it before.

Carcomputers in Taupo also said they could fix if it was indeed the pump, if bedding in doesnt improve consistency of feel that cold be the road I go down...craaap

Did you end up sorting this?

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

Having driven the car alot more latley than I normally would, the pedal and brake feel has gotten a lot better as the pads and discs bed in. Some times at first start the pedal is soft but comes right quickly. 

As the fix for the pump cant be bench tested, so I'm told, and it feels ok most of the time, I'm keeping aye eye (foot) on it. But I could just be getting used to it as only have my toyota to compare it to, lol. So keen to get another's opinion. 

Taking car for long drive or two next week. Then need to make up my mind whether to send it in for repair as itll be xmas soon. 

Edited by hunter

On 10/26/2019 at 10:23 AM, Eagle said:

After a really decent drive today, from Hamilton to Waitomo, the brakes were feeling very different each time I used them. Sometimes good sometimes not, not exactly what you want on the open road with family on board. 

As soon as I got home a called Mosens and car computers in Taupo to book in have the ABS pump removed, shipped and repairs done as required. This will happen next week. 

Fingers crossed, then I can feel safe in the car with the family and go in more bmw nz car club events. 

Yeah it certainly sounds like it's an ABS issue.

Ended up sending the pump to Car Computers, in Taupo.

Kerry at Mosens did removal of old pump (noting some bone dry lines in the process) and install of reconned pump this week. great turn around from Car Computers and Mosens

However, this didn't completely fix the issue as the booster diaphram was also playing up.  This was also replaced today. brakes are now working as expected again, with ok feel in the pedal and great bite. No sinking pedal when sitting at the lights either. Finally able to make proper use of the new pads and rotors.

EDIT - took the car fopr a strop out Peackcoks road on the way home from work last night. Brakes felt amazing, lots ofstopping power and really good responsevnes. Wore the bulbs out ;) so got a brake lights warning on the dash with 2 new bulbs needed today lol

Edited by hunter
Did more stuff
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 8:22 PM, hunter said:

........ Wore the bulbs out ;) so got a brake lights warning on the dash with 2 new bulbs needed today lol

Replaced 2 brake lights and the warning on the dash is gone, but my brakelights won't go out !? - could this be switch failure?

Possibly. Easy enough to test with multimeter and wouldnt hurt to check the plug and redo the self adjustment of the switch given had work on in that area.

14 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Possibly. Easy enough to test with multimeter and wouldnt hurt to check the plug and redo the self adjustment of the switch given had work on in that area.

Not sure how to do this, and low on time to fluff around figuring it out,  will take back to Mosens i think.

Yeah its little fiddly on these but yep Kerry would be the easiest option   

Update; All fixed, Brake switch was loose and Kerry reafixed it and all systems go, or stop as the case may be :)

• Like 1