Sign in to follow this  
DFF53

Looking for e32 735i or e34 535i in fair condition.

Hi All,

10 years ago i sold my e32 735il (pictured) when I went back to uni and made sure I bought another one again.  For now will be interested in either of the below in fair condition and road legal :

A - e32 735i or 740i (short wheel base preferred) with cruise control.

Interior - Grey or Silver leather interior in good condition, would  consider the grey velour if mint.

Exterior - Prefer Metallic blue, black, grey, green, brown/burgundy

May consider silver, red, white or Atlantis blue, Not interested in beige.

Sunroof would be great, but needs to be working and drain holes not blocked.

Prefer rust free car, especially under the rubber or stainless trims.

Not interested in cars with current or impending mechanical issues (engine or trans).

Looking to pay around 3k, or a little more if the engine and/or transmission was rebuilt in the last 5 years, or if the mileage is genuinely low (under 200,000km)

Needs to have working cruise control which may have been a cost option or on SE trim only.

B - e34 535i  or 540i in fair condition with cruise control.

Interior - Grey or Silver leather interior in good condition, would  consider the grey velour if mint.

would also consider the Black, Blue or Red leather interior depending on exterior colour.

Exterior - Prefer Metallic blue, black, grey, green, brown/burgundy

May consider silver, white or Atlantis blue, Not interested in bright red or beige.

Prefer rust free car, especially under the rubber or stainless trims.

Not interested in cars with current or impending mechanical issues (engine or trans).

Looking to pay around 3.5k, or a little more if the engine and/or transmission was rebuilt in the last 5 years or if the mileage is genuinely low (under 200,000km)

Needs to have working cruise control which may have been a cost option or on SE trim only.

C - Mercedes w124 300e or 320e 1985-1993 ( May consider 1993-1995 e320)

Interior - Prefer leather or velour  ( may consider cloth or MB-Tex if close to mint)

Exterior - Prefer original paint ( minor scratches or minor clear coat peel okay)

Prefer unpainted bumper rubber.

Looking to pay around 3.5k, or a little more if the engine and/or transmission was rebuilt in the last 5 years or if the mileage is genuinely low (under 200,000km)

Needs to have working cruise control.

Please PM me with a picture if you have a car that matches the preferences and with details.  I am willing to travel to view but prefer cars in Auckland or Waikato. Though if I have to relocate the car from South to North Island it may affect how much more I can offer you.

Option D - convince me that this is a bad idea ;)

Edited by DFF53

Prices have changed a bit since then, highly unlikely you'd get a manual 535i that sort of money these days unless it was in rough condition. You usually up spending 1000's to get cheap ones upto scratch anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jared, agree with your comments, though not looking for a manual one specifically.

Basically outlined my preferences and also where I am at with how much I want to pay so as to not waste anyone’s time. The prices I have noted is what I am looking to pay and not necessarily what a particular car is worth. I have more than one 20+ year old car (Volvo 850r and Alfa 156 v6) which I also have so can’t afford to splurge top dollar on the best 735i or 535i either. 

Edited by DFF53

Fair enough. I think the hardest part these days is finding one, not so many E32 and E34's for sale anymore. 

16 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Fair enough. I think the hardest part these days is finding one, not so many E32 and E34's for sale anymore. 

I know right,  below is the last e32 I saw in flesh. Outside the Good George pub in Rotutuna. Pic is from at least 6 months ago, but I am sure it was still in the same spot but in reverse when I drove past two weeks ago.

2A9A8FA8-45F7-4F84-A93B-E7D0531DC528.png

Not selling with the wheels in pictures. But very tidy, well maintained. Have pmd you

20171030_191739.thumb.jpg.2a2e18f752ed676852dfa908d4732e97.jpg

20171030_191633.thumb.jpg.78b3e3661025d631f3b285bb346e3479.jpg

20171030_191815.thumb.jpg.d71023d54b7a6963d955734a144c955d.jpg

20171030_191646.thumb.jpg.cd73e60ecdf1d651b3616baf7602da9f.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2019 at 5:53 PM, DFF53 said:

Basically outlined my preferences and also where I am at with how much I want to pay so as to not waste anyone’s time. The prices I have noted is what I am looking to pay and not necessarily what a particular car is worth. 

Man wants bargain unicorn.

• Haha 1

Just found out that cruise control may not have been standard on all the m30 engines cars. Was planning on using the car to travel from Hamilton to Auckland and back once a week, sounds like this is becoming more of a unicorn than I anticipated. Will update the spec above.

What about a 730i/740i V8? We had one years ago that was as reliable as a Swiss watch and economical for what it was, I’d wager better than the old 6.

Yip, just messaged the guy earlier, looks like a well looked after car too except for the rust in the radiator support. What would these be like at 260+ kms though. Was not originally looking at the v8s as I was too afraid of all the sensors etc failing but I suppose  any 25+ year old car may have an issue or two. Also how do the M50 engined 525is compare to a 535i?

Ours got written off at 215k from memory with one $900 repair and servicing. That’s Nz new with a history, I’d take a punt if you could chip him.

id say an m50 b25 wouldn’t be that far off a 3.5 and would be way more efficient.

• Thanks 1

Found this on Facebook, 735il

Screenshot_20190928-182354_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Gaz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DFF53 said:

Yip, just messaged the guy earlier, looks like a well looked after car too except for the rust in the radiator support. What would these be like at 260+ kms though. Was not originally looking at the v8s as I was too afraid of all the sensors etc failing but I suppose  any 25+ year old car may have an issue or two. Also how do the M50 engined 525is compare to a 535i?

Wouldn't hesitate buying a M60 V8. They have a few weak points like any engine (mainly leaks and PCV system) but they don't have any major expensive failures like the later BMW V8's. They get better fuel economy than the M30 while being much more powerful. Not bad to work on but it can vary depending on what you doing. 

M50's are certainly the the most balanced choice, they like to rev but lack the torque of the M30. They don't have the ease of access compared to the M30 and aren't quite as robust externally with more things to fail being the of the newer design 6's.

• Thanks 1

M30 is a very flexible engine,for instance you can come out of a slowish corne in thrid and just let it rev out.you could do the rimutaka s in only third gear

i loved mine and was happy to get back in to the 535 even after a test drive in both a e39 540 manual and an e34 540 manual.

The only downside is the fuel use.They are thirsty for what they are i reckon.They are undergeared to pep up their accelleration  which means they are doing about 2250 at 100 ks as opposed to about 1800 rpm for an e24 635 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2019 at 5:24 PM, Palazzo said:

Was going to go look at this on Saturday and purchase if checks out,  assumed this being SE spec had cruise control but nope. The original owner specced electric steering column adjuster and double glazing but not cruise.  May have to look beyond e32 and e34s, if anyone here has got a w124 mercedes 300e or 320e with cruise control, I may be interested too. 

You can retrofit cruise control easy enough if you get the parts off a wreck etc. 

So, I decided in the end to use my 850r to commute from Hamilton to Auckland and back.  With this situation, the 850r is manual and has cruise control, great for cruising but pain for Auckland driving. The new (old) car I buy more than likely auto can be used to drive around Auckland so no requirement for cruise control. Also I thought it would be good to have something with more of a classic look so decided an e28 may fit the bill. I needed to put myself out of misery so have purchased an 86 e28 535ia. This one is in way better condition than my old 1982 e28 520i. Thanks all for your help. 

• Like 1