Sign in to follow this  
Gorrington

2000 E39 540 Msport..

Gearbox judder... 

Noticed a gearbox judder, feels like running over a rough road for a few seconds. It's only done it a couple of times in the last three days, hopefully I can catch this problem before it gets really expensive.. 

I'm thinking maybe a filter and oil change for the box.?? 

Thanks. 

Under what circumstances does it make the noise? Is it when changing gear? Or when under load? 

A simple trans service on those gearboxes can do wonders. 

Edited by BozzaFC

Possibly torque convertor shudder. As above change the fluid and filter and reset transmission adaption. Ive had good results with Lubeguard for worn torque convertors along with the fluid change 

Seems its nothing to do with the transmission.. Had the car scanned, no codes for any transmission. 

However, got misfire on 1 and 2 which can cause the symptoms I noticed. 

Changed out the coils and plugs on those cylinders, still got the misfire. Car is pulling alright on the road, but when ticking over I blip the throttle there's a misfire.. At the same time as I rev the engine I can hear a big suck of air from somewhere, I'm thinking a vacuum leak.? Checked all the pipes etc, can't see any obvious damage to pipes etc. Saw on YouTube guys using brake cleaner, spray it around all pipes/gaskets etc, listen for different engine revs.. I'll try that next. 

Have you guys any suggestions as to other causes.? 

Thanks. 

Who scanned it ? Did they check metered air flow and check the CCV ?

Just found this blue/black loose pipe not attached to anything the other end, but doesn't seem to be the cause of the sucking air sound.. 

BM World down in Papakura scanned the car.. 

IMG-20190929-WA0004.jpg

That vacuum line should go the air injection valve below the MAF\intake boot. Never had much luck with spray testing myself, smoke tester is much better.

Apart from what Glenn mentioned, intake manifold gaskets do fail on these, you can add the appropriate 2-3mm thick washer under the bolt head to help compress the gasket if they are leaking. 

Had a proper full scan of the car. Now no faults recorded, however the problem is getting worse.. 

Blip the throttle on tickover and you hear a big gulp of air, misfire, then revs OK.. 

While I'm driving at a steady speed the revs keep dropping by about 200 rpm then it picks up again to the original rpms, after a few seconds the revs drop again.. If I'm accelerating this problem doesn't seem to show itself. 

It's now started to be a bit indecisive about gear selection, dropping a gear only to change back up almost immediately... 

I've had it in two garages, neither can find the fault... 

Do you guys have any ideas.??? 

Thanks. 

Gearbox issues don't always throw a code.

If the gearbox hasn't been serviced for a while/not serviced ever then this should be done anyway. If it is gearbox related then you should notice a difference afterward