Sign in to follow this  
LsBeema

Sc14 charger on a M50b25...worth it or nah...

I have a Sc14 laying around and was contemplating on wheter to chuck it on. I am ok with changing the injectors and maybe regulator with a remap...but is all the effort of fabricating the brackets and mods worth it...? And for what power gains...? Any advice homies..????

20190920_141151.jpg

Hello, well I will give you the ins and outs. They are good blowers, Although the same size an eaton M90 (about 1.5L) but still older technology. I speak from experience as we developed the original roots blower kits for these m5x based BMWs and started using them. Best one saw 400HP from and s52 us m3 motor, that car went to become the first ever supercharged car in the event and won 3rd place in the american endurance races. Now usually the sc14 are good for 300HP unless you have a 5 speed manual or a modified auto to take the extra torque. What a lot of folks dont know is that this is originally an German blower, Licensed by Ogura from WANKEL AG, in Korb, Germany. There is a much larger version TX28 used for mining and that we are playing with. 

While I was in Germany last year (sponsored by ex Daimler PR), one evening while taking with the director of the former Mercedes Kompressor department, he said they originally chose these little guys instead of the M62 Eaton, the main reason being ogura clutch couldn't supply enough of them at the time to keep up (Toyota was using them). These are dual lobe dual rotor while the m62/m90's are tri lobe dual rotor and 15% more efficient. But at the end you only go so far with either one, still better than an M62 (1L). All roots blowers.

That said whats your budget? And whats your HP Goals?? if you want to fabricate anything yourself, you will end up with a belt chewing headache if you go the full fabrication route and pay for it. Not to mention the hurdles you will come across will push the whole thing out of the comfort zone of "a budget setup". And for the love of god dont put a blow off valve in a closed system that has the MAF infront of it. But if you want to do it solo, you can download the installation guide here (HMW SC14 Installation Guide) and try to do it yourself but be warned, not a walk in the park.

Finally your biggest issue on the OBD I M50 will be tuning, your best way to tune it will be using the Ostrich II Emulator, worth some $200 from the US. Its a piggyback system and works well.

Here is what you are looking at..at 3 PSI it will see some 40HP Gain with a proper tune. (Dyno attached below)

There should been a topic here in this section that had a lot more information as well. Around 6-8PSi you see most M54B30's around 300 at the wheels..depends on the tune.

Now the SC14 with lets say the 80mm Pulley will see some 6.5PSI - 9PSI Max before you max out its efficiency as well as put your stock motor and trans into the red zone.

Use this pulley.

20190725_133549.jpg

So if you want some real power and willing to build the motor a bit, grab yourself an GT500 Blower and use one of these setups, good for 15-25PSI or 500-600WHP.

KCM122H-Front-0-2019-04-13.jpeg

KCM122H-Side-2019-04-13.jpeg

Hope this helps,  all the best!?

Dyno with 3PSI/Stock SC14 Pulley. Smaller pulley can push upto 8-9PSI.

JOHN UK 3PSI Dyno.jpeg

Edited by The H. Behemoth
  • Like 1

Yoh man. Thanks for that info. I was thinking around the $1000 mark with me doing all the fabrication. But for all that work with so less added hp and the risk if I go higher boost...nah. I would rather put my funds, effort and time into my Ls build. Once again appreciate it man. ?

I have run personally upto 12PSI on an M52, all stock for a while. But really you dont want to go above 8-9PSI on a stock motor and retain the longevity. 1K NZD wont take you far,  even if I gave you the bracket designs to make one yourself. but even the shops will end up trying to eat half your budget to make you the brackets. in the end with a stock motor how much can you push it? I mean you will be fast as or faster than the E36/46 M3's. The alternative as I said weight your options and go big, build the motor and then go with the M122H type of setup. thats the GT500 blower and will go as far as 600+ HP with no issues. the SC14 will cap off 300-350 for most folks. I would say if you stretch your budget to 1.5-2K then you will have a lot of breathing room and come off with a decent setup if you do it all yourself (not paying anyone)..I can get you the designs, free of charge. least I can do. all the best.

You can see the hp on that graph is calculated engine hp, still a good gain over a stock one though 

Sorry to revive an old thread but hoping The H. Behemoth might still be around. A friend and i have been throwing the idea around of an sc14 on an M30B28 would this be something worth pursuing?

Pretty sure he got banned for threatening members families.

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2021 at 10:58 PM, Karun said:

Sorry to revive an old thread but hoping The H. Behemoth might still be around. A friend and i have been throwing the idea around of an sc14 on an M30B28 would this be something worth pursuing?

As you are no doubt aware, the SC14 is an old unit. It is  getting harder to find a good one, and they are inefficient by comparison with newer Roots type blower designs. Twinscrew superchargers offer higher efficiency while retaining the driving characteristics of the Roots blower, but in the US in particular, centrifugal superchargers such as ProCharger are dominating the aftermarket for mechanical superchargers. In Europe Rotrex have done a lot of work in helping to develop centrifugal blower kits for BMW's.

If you can get (or already have) an SC14, would be happy with a modest increase in power and a decent improvement in low end torque, then by all means DIY the SC14. However, unless you get lucky and can find someone who can help you with the mounting bracket design, ducting and intercooler layout, you will be on your own. Engine management may also be a challenge unless you change to an aftermarket ECU or have a friend who is clever enough to be able to modify the factory DME to handle the changes in fueling and ignition timing.

The personal satisfaction to be gained from completing such a project is considerable, but do not underestimate the time and effort that will be involved. Do your homework before you pick up your tools and identify the parts of the conversion that you can handle yourselves and what parts may require help from experts. Good luck :)

Cheers...

• Like 1