Sign in to follow this  
DnR

2012 523i station wagon engine model

I am looking into a Japanese import 2012 523i Station Wagon that has the 2.0 TwinPower Turbo engine. In looking on the web for specs I cannot find any reference of that engine, N20B20, in the 523i ?? The 523 should have the straight six engine?

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be appreciated, also for this car which version of the engine would it be? 135KW or the 160KW version.

Thanks,

It's actually a 520i (just renamed for the Japanese market), so should be the 135kw version - they also sold a '523d' with the N47 diesel in the same state of tune as the 520d. Not sure why - extra prestige from the higher number maybe?

Edited by balancerider

Thanks Matt, that makes sense, just couldn't find this on my search.

I don't have the VIN - only had a casual look so far.

Any comments on the Twin Power over the I6? In this case the Twin Power car is higher on the list but for my lack of knowledge on the engine.

Thanks, Ray

The N20 is still a relatively new engine, but has a better reputation than older BMW 4 cylinder models. The 6 cyl N53 (I think it will be this in a Jap market car) has injector issues (expensive piezo injectors too) and cokes up due to being direct injection. Neither engine will set the world on fire in an F10 performance wise, the N53 will sound better but the N20 should have better low end torque.

If you can find a 520/523d that might be a better option?

Thanks for the input, might have a look at the diesels but have not previously had them on the list.