Sign in to follow this  
bradgalbraith

Best oil for S50B32

Looking to see what oil others are using in their S50B32s. With all due respect, if you don't own one, haven't owned one or are not an oil expert, please don't speculate. There's so much back and forth on the whole 5W-40 vs 10W-60 debate and I'm looking for a more definitive answer. Thanks in advance! @M3AN @sweetm3 what do you use?

10W-60, Have been for the last 15yrs

• Like 1

Guys in Christchurch were using a High Zinc product from Elf (Lubricants NZ) in their race cars. I've forgotten the name of the company down there. How's the car being used and what oil have you been using in it up until now ?

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

DCH Motorsport? 

• Like 1

Yes Gareth... I just looked it up in my old workshop directory

41 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Guys in Christchurch were using a High Zinc product from Elf (Lubricants NZ) in their race cars. I've forgotten the name of the company down there. How's the car being used and what oil have you been using in it up until now ?

Its a road car that gets driven in a spirited manner.. might see a track day or two in a year. I've only recently bought it so I haven't done an oil change yet.

Do you know what the previous owner was using ?

I don't but I can check. Don't want to necessarily use what the previous owner used though, want to make sure it's right.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
Quoting prev post.

6 hours ago, bradgalbraith said:

Looking to see what oil others are using in their S50B32s. With all due respect, if you don't own one, haven't owned one or are not an oil expert, please don't speculate. There's so much back and forth on the whole 5W-40 vs 10W-60 debate and I'm looking for a more definitive answer. Thanks in advance! @M3AN @sweetm3 what do you use?

5w-40 as specified by BMW when the car was new, 10w-60 has never been officially recommended for the S50 by BMW (unlike the S54).

If you thrash it or track it some prefer to use 10w-60 but if your oil temps never get above ~110*C (on 5w-40) you're wasting money and horsepower by using 10w-60.

During street use my car runs ~5*C cooler using 5w-40 than it does when using 10w-60, that's a clear indication it's not working as hard which is a good thing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, M3AN said:

5w-40 as specified by BMW when the car was new, 10w-60 has never been officially recommended for the S50 by BMW (unlike the S54).

If you thrash it or track it some prefer to use 10w-60 but if your oil temps never get above ~110*C (on 5w-40) you're wasting money and horsepower by using 10w-60.

During street use my car runs ~5*C cooler using 5w-40 than it does when using 10w-60, that's a clear indication it's not working as hard which is a good thing.

Does your motor sound happy on 5w-40? I think that's what I've got currently in mine currently and thought it sounded a tad louder than it should be. Still have slight vanos noise after a comprehensive rebuild.

17 hours ago, M3AN said:

"If you thrash it or track it "

I take umbrage, David at the above.

I would hope you mean "If the car is driven to its full potential the use of 10w-60 maybe required"

Brad, I do maybe 5-6 "driver trainings" a year.  After every second training day, I do a oil and filter change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bradgalbraith said:

Does your motor sound happy on 5w-40? I think that's what I've got currently in mine currently and thought it sounded a tad louder than it should be. Still have slight vanos noise after a comprehensive rebuild.

Yes, it does sound happy although it did run a little quieter with 10w-60. These engines aren't the quietest around but mine used to sound terrible  before the  VANOS rebuild, now it just sounds like a 90's engine.