Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Max

2006 X5 M57 Mainenance

So having picked this thing up a couple of weeks ago, it's time to go right through it and service everything so I know everything it up to date. It'll be getting a fresh service, new air, fuel and oil filters, new oil etc. What other things should be on the list?

Would it be a wise idea to change transmission and transfer case fluids? Diff oils? 

A few issues that I have noticed - first, on cold start, there is a very small cloud of smoke from the exhaust - only happens on cold starts, doesn't smoke at all when driving. I'm thinking this is normal?

Temp gauges normally sits between 1/3 and 1/2, which seems a bit odd to me (should normally be around the 1/2 mark I thought), handbook claims this is normal - is the thermostat worth replacing?

I also get a diesel smell when it's cold, I've been lead to believe these things have a small auxiliary heater that runs off diesel to get heat flowing in the cabin quicker - is there some way of eliminating that diesel smell? A filter or an exhaust somewhere that could be blocked on that system?

The last worrying thing is a whistle from the turbo - definitely worse when cold. I'm hoping some new oil will sort this, what else should I be looking for before panicking? I'm assuming the standard leaks and potentially bad gaskets/hoses? Any common problems people are aware of? 

All in all, it drives well, has a ton of power, there's no real vibrations or noises (other than those noted above) so I think it should last a while with some TLC.

Edited by Mad_Max

I change all fluids and filters on every car i buy unless i can confirm its been done when specified. 

Should be able check the actual operating temp via hidden OBC menu? or scan tool and compare it with the t-stat rating 

Is it just diesel combustion smoke? A full scan with intake and exhaust smoke test is probably a good idea to start with

On 10/7/2019 at 6:01 AM, Eagle said:

I change all fluids and filters on every car i buy unless i can confirm its been done when specified. 

Should be able check the actual operating temp via hidden OBC menu? or scan tool and compare it with the t-stat rating 

Is it just diesel combustion smoke? A full scan with intake and exhaust smoke test is probably a good idea to start with

Yeah exactly why I'm planning on doing it sooner rather than waiting for the service indicator.

I scanned it with INPA before buying it, all stored fault codes seemed to be mostly lights and the steering angle sensor but I didn't spend a lot of time checking everything. Will have to have a play with the OBC menu as it's locked atm.

Seems to be just a puff of diesel smoke from what I can tell, and it's definitely only on a cold start.

On 10/7/2019 at 1:32 PM, NRJ said:

How many kms has it travelled?

It's got service history from Greys in Christchurch until late 2013, then an indy in 2014 which is when I think the original owner sold it, hence why I'm leaning towards changing everything I can.

Yep definitely has an auxiliary heater, I was wondering what that box was for lol just haven't had a lot of time to research things yet.

That's some great info thanks @NRJ, thinking I might play it safe and swap out the oil feed line while changing the oil just in case the turbo isn't quite getting enough oil, better safe than sorry, and check the manifold at the same time. And will check the suspension out when I can get it to my local and throw it on his hoist, though dare say everything that's ever needed done on this thing has been done by the first owner.

Yeah thinking do as @Eagle suggest and check temp through the OBC as the gauge itself could also be faulty, and if that's reading less than it should, a new thermostat will hopefully sort that. It's done some 355k so high mileage, however the first owner was driving from Mandeville to Queenstown and back (150k each way) 6 days a week so a lot of hot running, there's not one sign of any oil or fluid leaks anywhere and it drives and handles really well so I'm pretty confident that, apart from a few minor issues, it should last a few years yet, as long as I look after it.

Have run three m57 x5s for work and personal, all three ran fairly cool on the open road. All three had the smoke on first start up, nothing to worry about, likely failing glow plugs but I've never had a starting issue with all 6 dead 

The diesel small is most likely a cracked manifold 

The aux heater only works under 5 degrees ambient 

Do the PCV/CCV in the rocker cover, its extremely important on these 

Do the fuel filter every 50km it's easy enough and cheap  

1/3 to 1/2 on the gauge is 70-80 degrees, allnthree I've used run that low unless under load, my tuned one runs just under 70 on the open road 

Edited by dirtydoogle
  • Like 1

Thanks, yeah was thinking the smoke on start up was glow plugs but it starts just fine so I'm not panicked.

Will check the manifold first chance I get, would that possibly also be the source of the whistle? Seems like a plausible explanation as the whistle gets noticeably quieter when it's warmed up.

I did read online? operating manual? that apparently the diesel smell is normal on start up, and given I'm in Southland 5 degrees ambient air temp is basically summertime lol. The smell has been far worse when air temps are way down which is why I was suspecting the auxiliary heater. But will investigate the manifold first of all.

Will add PCV/CCV to the list, definitely a good idea to do it given the unknown history, thank you. And fuel filter will be getting done regularly, they are cheap insurance along with oil and air.

Ok good to know, it hasn't gone over 1/2 so not a major concern, will keep my eyes on it.

Ours have always smelled on start up.

My current one has no cats and a tune and makes quite a bit of turbo noise, it absolutely stinks when its idling too

Yeah being down that way I guess it will be having some smokey starts :D

the only consistent issue I have seen on the ones we have run is front outer cv boots fail like any other car. That's about all that has been done on them in 400,000km combined apart from regular maintenance (and 4 gearboxes in the PFL auto.. )

Check the error codes, that will tell you which if any of the glow plugs are down, controller for the plugs often goes down as well.

Change the CCV/PCV to the newer conical style if you have the old toilet roll type, as mentioned above this is a definite to change.

The fuel filter canister is often neglected under the floor of the car, suggest you change that for a new one as well.

11 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

Ours have always smelled on start up.

My current one has no cats and a tune and makes quite a bit of turbo noise, it absolutely stinks when its idling too

Yeah being down that way I guess it will be having some smokey starts :D

the only consistent issue I have seen on the ones we have run is front outer cv boots fail like any other car. That's about all that has been done on them in 400,000km combined apart from regular maintenance (and 4 gearboxes in the PFL auto.. )

Cool, CV boots aren't a major item so that's not worrying. Hopefully being an '06 with the M57TU issues like gearboxes are well sorted by now lol. What's it like decatted and tuned? I was playing with the idea of a tune for it but have heard the boxes can't handle much more than 500nm torque so that kinda put me off the idea.

8 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Check the error codes, that will tell you which if any of the glow plugs are down, controller for the plugs often goes down as well.

Change the CCV/PCV to the newer conical style if you have the old toilet roll type, as mentioned above this is a definite to change.

The fuel filter canister is often neglected under the floor of the car, suggest you change that for a new one as well.

There wasn't any error codes for glow plugs when I first scanned it but might be worth scanning again to double check. I'm thinking I'll change the CCV/PCV anyway as suggested, just for peace of mind.

I'm half thinking about putting a water trap on the fuel line as well, for added insurance, though that may be further down the track.

Right, off to start gathering filters and fluids, and might attack it all this weekend (if it ever stops raining hahaha).

Mine is manual so nonissue with boxes breaking haha it is awesome, pulls like a Vegan on a lettuce! Definitely faster than my 338 manual was and the torque is huuuuge 

The 6 speed zf auto is a great box, just get it serviced 

Damn, might start looking into a tune as well now hahaha. Yeah finding someone down here that will service it properly and not charge what it will cost to replace it is the issue, but will have a hunt around as there may be someone in Dunedin that will do it (given I'm up there often enough).

Surprised no one mentioned replacing the drivers door carrier assembly...... as that decided to give out last night.... the rain sensor seems to have stopped...... and the alarm has started going off at random times for no apparent reason........ just hoping this isn't the start of a nightmare ???

I'm still stoked with everything else, managed 7.8l/100k coming back from Dunedin last night with a bootload of stuff which I think is reasonable, so if this is the worst of the issues this thing has, it was well worth the money spent.

The door carrier assembly is pretty easy to do, I've done a few. One on my one. Enjoy!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

The door carrier assembly is pretty easy to do, I've done a few. One on my one. Enjoy!

Yeah got one on the way, removed the inner trim on Thursday night to confirm it was the carrier. Doesn't look too hard to do thankfully so will get that sorted.

13 hours ago, NRJ said:

Not sure if you have it, but BMW diagnostic software such as ISTA or INPA you can run a test to find out what component is triggering the alarm. It could be a faulty door or bonnet switch, or it could be the motion sensor inside the car. 

I've got 2018 version of INPA, probably should scan it and see if it comes up with anything, just been too busy lately to spend time sorting it lol.

11 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

The alarm will be the bonnet sensor, unplug it. 

Yes was thinking that's what it is, a few times I've unlocked it and wiggled the bonnet sensor and it's behaved itself afterwards so will unplug it for now and see it that stops the alarm.

Other than that, oil, air and fuel filters have been ordered, oil purchased, new wiper blades and headlight bulbs sorted, so just about ready to rock when I get a day to spend on it.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 11:26 PM, dirtydoogle said:

The alarm will be the bonnet sensor, unplug it. 

You were dead right, bonnet sensor is unplugged and alarm hasn't played up since, so will be swapping it out with another one and see if that fixes the issue.

Oil, air and fuel filters turned up today, air filter already changed - what a PITA! Thankfully, somewhat slim hands helped lol. But what a difference, only taken it for a short cruise but immediately feels more responsive and economy seems to have improved as well, old one was black as hell....... shop vacc'd the area once the filter was out to clean up all the debris before fitting the new filter.

So oil and fuel next, then trans, diffs and finally transfer case and I think that's about it short term. Now just need to find a 12v power supply in the roof that I can use lol.

Yeah the air filter is a bit annoying. 

The fuel filter is a whole lot easier than the internet makes out though, if you have slim hands. Definitely worth doing too because nobody replaces them 

On 10/9/2019 at 12:29 AM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Finally got around to scanning it again, glow plugs 1 and 5 had errors....... funny that they didn't show when I scanned the car before I bought it. But will look into it another time, far too much on the go atm lol.

Oil and filter changed today, so one less thing on the list to do.

On 10/8/2019 at 8:54 AM, dirtydoogle said:

Do the PCV/CCV in the rocker cover, its extremely important on these 

On 10/9/2019 at 12:29 AM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Do either of you have any part numbers or an idea where to look in the ETK for the CCV/PCV/CVV (whatever it's called)? Having trouble finding any listing for it at all, let alone part numbers to cross reference. This is probably next on the list before trans service, transfer case service, then diffs.

Everything else I've seen under in so far has been in damn fine condition given the k's it's done. Apart from a few little creaks inside the cab when not on a decent surface, I can't fault this thing at all, and am sure with some TLC it'll do me the next few years easily.

Oil and filter changed today, I noticed earlier that the whistle I have when cold is a lot less noticeable than it was since changing the air filter, so perhaps the old one might've been that restricted (or a cover isn't quite fully sealing but is closer now) - so may just be air getting into a random tiny gap causing the noise. Will be interesting to see how a cold start goes tomorrow with the whistle.

I should be able to find the part numbers for you from the parts i’ve Just put in my 330d. 

On 10/16/2019 at 7:42 AM, dirtydoogle said:

The fuel filter is a whole lot easier than the internet makes out though, if you have slim hands. Definitely worth doing too because nobody replaces them 

It's done now, and yeah wasn't as bad as people claim. The hardest part was definitely bleeding the system afterwards, I mean, I had to go get the laptop and find the right section in ISTA then wait for it to do it's thing ???. So difficult........

19 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I should be able to find the part numbers for you from the parts i’ve Just put in my 330d. 

That would be awesome if you've got the numbers Jon, let me know how you get on.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 11:18 AM, Mad_Max said:

So having picked this thing up a couple of weeks ago, it's time to go right through it and service everything so I know everything it up to date. It'll be getting a fresh service, new air, fuel and oil filters, new oil etc. What other things should be on the list?

Would it be a wise idea to change transmission and transfer case fluids? Diff oils? 

A few issues that I have noticed - first, on cold start, there is a very small cloud of smoke from the exhaust - only happens on cold starts, doesn't smoke at all when driving. I'm thinking this is normal?

Temp gauges normally sits between 1/3 and 1/2, which seems a bit odd to me (should normally be around the 1/2 mark I thought), handbook claims this is normal - is the thermostat worth replacing?

I also get a diesel smell when it's cold, I've been lead to believe these things have a small auxiliary heater that runs off diesel to get heat flowing in the cabin quicker - is there some way of eliminating that diesel smell? A filter or an exhaust somewhere that could be blocked on that system?

The last worrying thing is a whistle from the turbo - definitely worse when cold. I'm hoping some new oil will sort this, what else should I be looking for before panicking? I'm assuming the standard leaks and potentially bad gaskets/hoses? Any common problems people are aware of? 

All in all, it drives well, has a ton of power, there's no real vibrations or noises (other than those noted above) so I think it should last a while with some TLC.

I have had mine for 3 years now. Love it. In my ownership I have done the exhaust manifold as it blew and was making a whistling noise as well as fuming quite badly. I have also done both front driveshafts, the crankshaft vibration dampener which shat itself unexpectedly, also my viscous fan seized at 100kph snapping the front off my waterpump completely, so I did thermostat and waterpump, new radiator, new hoses, new viscous fan, haven't done the PCV/CCV which I feel I should get onto. Also I did the glowplugs, fuel filter, transfer case gear, intake manifold gasket, passenger side door handle carrier, (driver's one just crapped out lol), all diff fluids, transmission services x 2, the panoramic roof stopped working also so I did the mod to stop the rear one from working. 

Any tips you need don't hesitate to give me a yell. I love my 3.0d and I do about 150 ks a day round trip in it too. 

On 10/17/2019 at 1:42 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

+1 please :D

On 10/18/2019 at 1:43 PM, BMTHUG said:

I have had mine for 3 years now. Love it. In my ownership I have done the exhaust manifold as it blew and was making a whistling noise as well as fuming quite badly. I have also done both front driveshafts, the crankshaft vibration dampener which shat itself unexpectedly, also my viscous fan seized at 100kph snapping the front off my waterpump completely, so I did thermostat and waterpump, new radiator, new hoses, new viscous fan, haven't done the PCV/CCV which I feel I should get onto. Also I did the glowplugs, fuel filter, transfer case gear, intake manifold gasket, passenger side door handle carrier, (driver's one just crapped out lol), all diff fluids, transmission services x 2, the panoramic roof stopped working also so I did the mod to stop the rear one from working. 

Any tips you need don't hesitate to give me a yell. I love my 3.0d and I do about 150 ks a day round trip in it too. 

That's great info, thanks man really appreciate it. And yeah I'll be yelling out if there's anything I'm not sure about. Have decided to order in another exhaust manifold, and will replace the oil feed line to the turbo at the same time for peace of mind. Also going to change the thermostat to try get it to operating temp more consistently.

It definitely feels a bit better now the basics are done, and I plan on keeping it for a while so better to do the preventative stuff now. 

Still trying to hunt out part numbers for the CCV/PCV/whatever it's called, I suspect everyone's talking about either part 11 or 15 on this diagram? https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/selectCar/E53/SAV/BMW+X5+3%2E0d+M57N/ECE/11_3935

New door handle carrier is on it's way so will start ticking a lot of these little maintenance jobs off the list every chance I get to get back on top of it all. I'm hoping the manifold will be the worst of it, once everything is sorted it's probably then time to look at getting a tune for it lol.

5 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

That's great info, thanks man really appreciate it. And yeah I'll be yelling out if there's anything I'm not sure about. Have decided to order in another exhaust manifold, and will replace the oil feed line to the turbo at the same time for peace of mind. Also going to change the thermostat to try get it to operating temp more consistently.

It definitely feels a bit better now the basics are done, and I plan on keeping it for a while so better to do the preventative stuff now. 

Still trying to hunt out part numbers for the CCV/PCV/whatever it's called, I suspect everyone's talking about either part 11 or 15 on this diagram? https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/selectCar/E53/SAV/BMW+X5+3%2E0d+M57N/ECE/11_3935

New door handle carrier is on it's way so will start ticking a lot of these little maintenance jobs off the list every chance I get to get back on top of it all. I'm hoping the manifold will be the worst of it, once everything is sorted it's probably then time to look at getting a tune for it lol.

You'd be looking at 11 and 15 for pcv bro. Use your vin and realoem if you get stuck. Definitely do the exhaust manifold. It's a relatively easy job. I removed the turbo and cleaned and inspected it too. Was in pretty good nick. The door handle carrier still hasn't shown up yet lol. Having to get in from the passenger side at present 

Edited by BMTHUG
  • Like 1

Thanks man, much help. Yeah that's the plan, gonna put an order in tonight for all these parts including the manifold and will go over everything, clean and inspect it while it's apart, then I know it's done. Hahaha think my handle has just completely let go in sympathy of yours....... fingers crossed the new one turns up soon........ it was just holding on until earlier this afternoon.

And managed to download a copy of the ETK so I can have the laptop outside, to make life easier...... just in case it's needed lol. Should be all good now I know what I'm looking at ?

Edited by Mad_Max

Everything bar the turbo oil feed line has been ordered, just need to track one down and then should be all set once everything arrives.

3 hours ago, BMTHUG said:

The door handle carrier still hasn't shown up yet lol. Having to get in from the passenger side at present 

Today's life hack - I tried this on mine so should work on yours, instead of climbing in the other side first, just hold the unlock key down if the car is locked - that should unlock the doors then drop the windows. Then you can open from the drivers side inner door handle ?Probably best if this isn't done while it's raining (unless you wanna wash the inside as well lol) but it works for me, saves a trip around to another door lol.

On 10/22/2019 at 8:40 PM, Mad_Max said:

Everything bar the turbo oil feed line has been ordered, just need to track one down and then should be all set once everything arrives.

Today's life hack - I tried this on mine so should work on yours, instead of climbing in the other side first, just hold the unlock key down if the car is locked - that should unlock the doors then drop the windows. Then you can open from the drivers side inner door handle ?Probably best if this isn't done while it's raining (unless you wanna wash the inside as well lol) but it works for me, saves a trip around to another door lol.

Dude that's what I been doing but it's been raining on and off so I can't always do it. sooo handy though

• Like 1