Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Max

2006 X5 M57 Mainenance

On 10/7/2019 at 12:01 PM, Eagle said:

Should be able check the actual operating temp via hidden OBC menu? or scan tool and compare it with the t-stat rating 

Finally got into the OBC menu and have been monitoring it, swapped in a new thermostat today and it's made a huge difference, KTMP is now a constant 88°-92° on the open road - apparently it's a common problem with the thermostats failing on these?

On 10/8/2019 at 8:54 AM, dirtydoogle said:

Have run three m57 x5s for work and personal, all three ran fairly cool on the open road.

1/3 to 1/2 on the gauge is 70-80 degrees, allnthree I've used run that low unless under load, my tuned one runs just under 70 on the open road 

The diesel small is most likely a cracked manifold 

Yeah, manifold was cracked, probably warped as well (leaking between manifold and head around #4), the downpipes from the turbo wasn't tight at all (I could rotate it by hand), and hte turbo support bracket wasn't bolted to the turbo - I dare say that would've contributed to the cracking. So it's now swapped for a cast job, no more diesel smell.

Might be worth checking your thermostats, mine was exactly the same but a new one has sorted it and it's at correct temp now.

• Like 1