hqstu

e46 330ci Clubsport SSG

Front end finished up with poor man camber\caster plates aka E36 M3 Evo strut mounts.

Certainly nothing new about these for E36's, not much info about using them on E46's apart from being the same fitment.
Unfortunately the OE and OEM brands now appear to be NLA, so its either a genuine set at around $600 or one of the numerous aftermarket Taiwanese brands for around the <$200. I went with these B&E ones from Amazon and Rockauto. Doesn't appear to be much different between them apart from the bearing design and i think the prices reflects this. They are probably all made in the same factory.

These mounts are firmer with less rubber isolation and you feel it over certain bumps. Height wise are 5-10mm lower than my previous Lemforder mounts so more inline with the original OE design i think. The studs are also obviously longer which is good if you are installing a strut brace. I did have some slight rubbing of the spring on RH strut tower, the spring was rubbing seam sealer when the wheel was turned in a certain spot, but that has cleared up after some use. E36's appear to have a bit more room in the towers when comparing with my Ti.

I originally had them swapped left to right (more camber over castor) but ended up with too much camber for street usage, was something around -3-3.5° total according to my diy gauge. Installing them normally yielded an additional  around ~-0.8° of camber and ~2.5° of castor.

I had the Z4M FCAB's still installed so ended up with 8.4° of castor. Not worth going into too much detail on it, but the weight jacking along with the vastly increased steering effort was dangerous in certain corners and at high speeds. I swapped back to Meyle HD bushings to bring it back down to degrees 7.5°. Having tried all the castor ranges from 5-8° this feels to the best in my setup (the M3 runs 6.5-7.5 i believe). No obvious extra steering input needed and combined with the extra camber for front turn in\grip, the car is now very close to neutral in the tighter corners.  I picked up at least an extra 10kph on my test corners and around about with very little understeer compared to my previous settings. I dont know it would be like without the other mods ive done, but its a massive different in grip\turn in for very low cost.

BA1018214-1__ra_p.jpg.9130392a9e31437dd3f2195f63cbbb50.jpg               

20230109_162426.thumb.jpg.18e22bdaa347675eedb451ff7d2fd82b.jpg 

The camber settings below are maxed out front and rear on Eibach's. You should be able add back ~+0.7 front camber via strut slots, which puts you around -1.0 degrees depending on your spring choice. I don't see any real disadvantage of running this amount for improved handling if your toe is around 0. Tyre choice and how you drive the car will probably dictate whether you should run it these or not.

20230109_141124.thumb.jpg.7c586a399808ab6e1f05c356e9ed43fa.jpg

CMP Monoballs - I've done over 100km on all sorts of crappy NZ B-roads and these are exactly as advertised. Rear end now much more stable\planted\composed, it does not jitter around noticeably and bump steer is reduced on all road surfaces. With my current setup i can now counter steer mid corner without the feeling like its loosing grip. On smooth seal at high speeds its a similar feeling. The extra camber, castor and chassis braces have probably helped to a degree but i think its mostly the new RTAB's at work here. They certainly are controlling the rear alignment like they claim to do. Even quite noticeable under normal road road driving, much more relaxing with less steering wheel movement. Long service life and much easier to bolt up the trailing arm bracket with no preload or alignment make these i must have IMO. They are expensive for what they are but you are getting good benefits for a few hundred. Makes me wonder why BMW didnt use them in the CSL.            

Only disadvantage which is widely reported is driving over sharp bumps - square seal patch edges, reflectors, sharp curbs etc produces a rear end whack\thump similar to stiff bushings. May not be the best mod if you driving a lot on crappy roads or want max comfort\quiet, but the benefits easily outweigh that.

20230109_140228.thumb.jpg.0d7f21fc34c9c9ffd62cc65cf990e05d.jpg

• Like 7

This thing is getting so dialled in!

• Like 1

Yeah once the solid subframe mounts are in its done in suspension dept. Besides better dampers, i can't think any other tweaks that will yield much of an increase without deviating too much from the factory ride and needing certs. Custom springs & dampers to dial it in to suit would be great, but the cost wouldn't be worth it for a car like this. TRW's perform decent on these springs and are that cheap that you can replace them every 50,000km.

I've been thinking of doing both solid subframe mounts and monoball rtabs as well next time I drop the subframe, glad to know they are worth while. I'll go with CMP for both since I'm lowered and have camber plates.

Love the colour of this, wish there were estoril m3s in nz.

Edited by Harper
  • Like 1

Yeah CMP are the cheapest on market too. Hopefully they back in stock when you want them.

• Like 1

Messaged CMP a couple of weeks ago, Cayn told me the subframe bushes should be back in stock early Jan so hopefully not too far off now. 

• Like 2

Got the cover panel installed. Went to Mosen's here in Hamilton and Kerry let me cut it out. Wasn't easy getting a cutting it out with a clean cut, there are spot and mig welds along the edge and tools weren't the best for job. I also had to cut it in half and joint in when welding it in. I thought id try one of those air nibblers which are good as they don't distort the metal, not the most precise\neat things for trimming edges so i messed up cut too much off in some spots.

When it's seam sealed and hidden it's not a big deal given its only a cosmetic panel. Sedan\touring have strenthening? indentations on the ends, coupe panels dont.

If i had to do it all again i dont think id bother with the rear brace, im not convinced the benefit is worth the labour for this car. The front brace and the rear chassis legs are much less invasive to prep and install and fix the issue especially weaker fronts.

20230111_085738.thumb.jpg.e4a2b4a51bf85e0931d8a22bf5f124f8.jpg

20230111_110858.thumb.jpg.02a0229fce9c09b8e6cf57f63e5df187.jpg

You do see evidence of the front brace from the boot (trim raised due to spare) but if you have the liner then its basically hidden

20230111_113926.thumb.jpg.532cba8b93a36d2c79a12d41a318a52d.jpg20230111_114342.thumb.jpg.69460966508f6b303f3140b44dee9ded.jpg  

• Like 4

Foam in the RHS lower bolster was starting to cave in at the top.  Many SR seats use the same piece and its easily available from the Capital Seating in the UK for ~$160. Very little effort and straight forward to replace so why not. The SR3 seems to be getting more comfortable so im sticking with it for now. Will try it again on some 1hr+ drives.

20230112_171744.thumb.jpg.34bc0ccbc43b2f62eef5dac403b354aa.jpg20230112_171753.thumb.jpg.b42771cf0c2606ed30124c909f82b192.jpg

• Like 3

Aliexpress USB charging. Cheapest mod yet at $10. Not something you need often but handy when you do. Dremeled out the cig lighter hole and filled down the + terminal so i can use the OE plug. Nice and stealth and can be switched off and on. 

20230116_151152.thumb.jpg.2fd3d2796c537d742cc8df0ba8e3300a.jpg

20230116_153101.thumb.jpg.db646eb8f427a927007dd04fcdd6a6ea.jpg

ATE handbrake shoes and hardware. Heard a slight drag on L\R when the boot rim was off when the wheel rotates to a certain spot. Could be the the disc but thought id replace them first since they are cheap. Will have to bed them in at some point and recheck the noise. 

20230114_111029.thumb.jpg.950b975242b80cbc5ef4317b20b9eaa2.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Eagle said:

Aliexpress USB charging. Cheapest mod yet at $10. Not something you need often but handy when you do. Dremeled out the cig lighter hole and filled down the + terminal so i can use the OE plug. Nice and stealth and can be switched off and on.

Quite like the look of that. I charge my phone pretty often but would be good to be able to close the lid when not in use too, unlike when using a plug in charger.

Does it turn itself back on every time you start the car though?

No. Haven't started the car but given the cig lighter is constant 12V it stays on or off regardless of ignition key position, just like a normal toggle switch.

• Like 1

IRP solid subframe mounts installed. Froze them over night and they went in very easy.

20230218_131205.thumb.jpg.d5bdd0a431e70780ee0b59c83bf25823.jpg

While i had to had the subframe mount i decided to check some spot welds in areas that CMP mentioned. Found a couple of failed ones i had missed as they are covered in seam sealer. 

Also got messy with a wire wheel and angle grinder to shave my mess i had previous made with the seam sealer. Much tidier now.

20230219_174308.thumb.jpg.899a331a9e86f6dad51187d25c72544e.jpg

Left the car out in the rain for 24hrs during that wild weather we had a couple of weeks ago and it did not like it. It had previously had a very small strip of clear coat failure near the front of the bonnet but now its really fubar. Can only assume water has got under into it combined with the heavy rain\ wind caused it to sh*t itself. Never seen anything like it and to fail so quick. I regret not leaving it in the garage now as it makes the stone chips look pleasant.

I predict at least a front end respray in my very near future.  

20230219_174601.thumb.jpg.1824520d7a2526c690ecca1a0f058291.jpg 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thats Toyota Corolla's level of clear coat failure. Maybe it has had a respray in the past? 

• Like 1

Yeah suspect it may of given the roof and front end and roof are slightly different shade of Estoril 

• Like 1

Finally got it back together and driving. I had an assistant helping me put the subframe in and it got it caught on one of the front studs and bent it slightly. I had undo it from the body to release the threads were caught inside the mount (These aftermarket alloy parts seem much softer than BMW bits). Ordered some brand new studs. lock nuts and bolts and did it by myself the second time with more patience, it went it fairly easy with some raw hide hammer persuasion.

Solid bushings. These have certainly modernized the car as claimed. Rear end wag\disconnect between front and rear is reduced and car is more composed with more grip in all driving, will be even better with the alignment redone. Driveline slop is reduced also when shifting and accel\decel. Id imagine with a high end dampers and springs would really do it justice with all the other supporting mods.

Only downside (for me at least) is the added NVH\knocking from diff backlash etc. Its much more pronounced due to no rubber isolation and i can also hear more rumble and a whine from the diff at certain speeds\frequencies, especially around 110-120kph (bearings arent the best). I will have to look into putting my helical into my old diff to try and reduce it as i dont think i could live with it long term.

ZF detents. Decided to do these while the box was out. Special thanks to @Vass for the tool loan. Mine weren't bad as such but doing all the detents has improved the shift quality more than i expected. I can see how these boxes get blamed for vague shifting. With all new bushings, detents and E60 shifter its the best stock'ish config BMW manual box ive driven. 

E36 M3 flywheel\clutch. Wanted to try the last M5X BMW to use a dual mass flywheel with conventional clutch. The M54 etc SAC pressure plate isn't the worse but has a stiff travel with little feel. The E36 M3 pedal effort is noticeable reduced and you can feel the engagement point off the floor far better. Makes it easier to drive in general combine with all the other related things.   

At this point i think its already at the OE+ type build (give or take). I drove a guys typical E46 the other day and this feels like a different car, for better or for worse.       

20230226_140219.thumb.jpg.3e44e6a92b5314630e5afa7d936d1e9f.jpg20230226_140122.thumb.jpg.c254ac34abdc708ae964bd11e7f7bcfa.jpg

• Like 6

Picked up a single Recaro SP-JC seat on fb for fairly cheap to replace the SR3. The SR3 is clearly superior for sprinted driving, but with the solid subframe mounts the body roll is much reduced so something a bit more livable makes sense more of the time.

Its certainly a nicer and well featured seat compared to the average Recaro whilst still being light. The bolstering\support isn't very aggressive, slightly improved over stock sport seats i reckon with added shoulder support but slightly flatter base bolstering, basically a SR7-F.  Feels so much nicer to sit in though, definitely got VW\Audi style Recaro vibe to it. Fits in the E46 better with good clearance for bolsters and airbag tensioner. Unfortunately like the SR3 it still sits about 1 inch to low for me, but its a small issue.

Features include - electric recline, cooling and heating function on the remote and a manually inflatable lumber bladder with thigh support on bottom. Manually folds forward too which is a must for me in a coupe and you dont have to hold it forward like the SR3.

Also matches the passenger seat better than i expected despite the Recaro branding and red stitiching

spjc.thumb.jpg.b1c0c6a3ef42049e142df9526ab61a39.jpgrecaroremote.thumb.jpg.788ebc94e39af3e8cfe18f5d1169dd2e.jpg

• Like 6

Seat looks right at home - this thing must be driving so good now!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sammo said:

this thing must be driving so good now!

It is but honestly i find my 318ti auto is still more enjoyable to drive with the same purple tag rack, classic case of newer=better but less enjoyable. Something im sure you can understand when you 'downgraded' from your E46 to the E30. 4 cylinders having lighter front just adds to E30\Ti experience. I dont think its much slower if at all in the tighter corners despite being mostly stock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

It is but honestly i find my 318ti auto is still more enjoyable to drive with the same purple tag rack, classic case of newer=better but less enjoyable. Something im sure you can understand when you 'downgraded' from your E46 to the E30. 4 cylinders having lighter front just adds to E30\Ti experience. I dont think its much slower if at all in the tighter corners despite being mostly stock.

Interesting - E30 is definately more 'fun' but E46 is fun as well and more well rounded.

I am tossing up putting a purple tag in the E30 at some point, although not dying to go through the cert process.

Stock rack is obviously slow but mines a little vague around centre too - maybe a rebuild would help?

Edited by Sammo

54 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Interesting - E30 is definately more 'fun' but E46 is fun as well and more well rounded.

I am tossing up putting a purple tag in the E30 at some point, although not dying to go through the cert process.

Stock rack is obviously slow but mines a little vague around centre too - maybe a rebuild would help?

Yeah i agree that E46 certainly ain't boring and is far more well rounded for sure, but the semi trailing arm is just more lively, the car weights 200-300kg less, better weighted steering, mechanical throttle etc. 

The stock E30 and E36 racks just feel rubbish compared to purple tag when you drive them back to back. Its just how they are id say rather than wear so long as there is no play in it. 

• Like 1

For those interested - BMW alignment with the E36 M3 strut mounts at max positive camber. Ends up basically the same figure as stock mounts\springs with max factory negative camber, but with the nice bump in caster.  Front does appear to have less grip in certain corners with less camber, but it tracks better at high speeds on rutted roads with a proper alignment. For <$250 it does alot for the money.

a1.thumb.jpg.9dfc4412f7dcbca6826096c2a4803603.jpg

• Like 1

I was getting increasing on center vagueness when driving and slop when rocking steering wheel with engine off. Moving the shaft at the firewall produced excessive movement  Removed the column and traced the play to plastic bushing in the lower steering column behind the steering angle sensor. Checked out a couple local E46's and @Vass send me a video of his, both had much less movement than mine.  Got a replacement low k one from E46 M3 Nick Weitz is wrecking. Steering is significantly improved, now precise and a nice weight to it now. Feels like my E36 with the same setup.  

No before video but here is the new one. Still some movement but i think that is mainly due to poor\cost cutting design, not very well supported down low + plastic bushings. No parts listed to rebuild so probably one of those issues will start to occur more frequently as E46's age. IIRC @Sammo had a similar issue with his E46, presumably obvious noises would occur once the wear is great enough.

• Like 3

I was getting sick of the diff noises so i swapped the mfactory helical back into my original diff. Decided to do it myself to avoid the shipping hassle and buy the shim kit with new output shaft bearings from difflabs.au. Since i had 4x original shims from both diffs including thinner shim i could build up, figured i could make most sizes without needing to get them machined down. 

d.thumb.jpg.8ebda8c28ec7fbf4e6cfb70dabb3b1a4.jpgd2.thumb.jpg.229c0eeda0b15d1f60583044eb7bdad8.jpg

After a bit of fiddling around with different sized shims i got the backlash and gear pattern looking like it was originally. Backlash @ 0.09mm down from 0.14mm so clunking\knocking mostly gone or much quieter. Unfortunately still have a similar gear whine when cruising ~110kph. Both diffs have wear to some extent, but i can only guess based on the previous diff being ok before the solid subframe mounts and\or meyle front diff bushings that they are allowing more noise to be transmitted.

The plan now is to convert most of the suspension back to 'OE' spec, chuck in a replacement open diff and sell it when economic outlook is better. I did plan on keeping this but i find i don't really desire to drive the car after converting my Ti to manual. Given the state of the average road these days its very harsh (compared to that) and only really enjoyable when driving fast\hard on decent condition ones. The 80's BMW ethos is what drew me to them nearly 2 decades ago and why i had E30 for 8 years.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1