Sign in to follow this  
Cameron20

2003 330i M Sport servicing and repairs

Hi, I have an automatic 2003 330i M Sport sedan with ~80,000 KMs that I want to get serviced and maybe a in depth once over to make sure everything is in good condition (I've heard some rubber hoses and things can wear after a while). I'm looking for a place in Auckland that's not in the city (New Market etc) to get this done. I've been using New Market BMW but I really don't want to use them anymore. Can anyone suggest a good place that's reliable and know what they are doing with these older cars?

I've been pushed to do this as I felt the car is not running as well as it used to. I'm pretty sure there is a coolant leak somewhere as I've had to top it up quite regularly and it's also sometimes lurches slightly when slowing down to low revs or accelerating at low revs. The fuel usage is also up I feel though I'm not 100% sure.  I done some googling about these issues which is how I found this place. Thought I'd ask some enthusiasts. I don't know much about cars and this car was a hand me down that I've driven around for maybe 3 years. 

Edit: Forgot to add the car has also begun to do this weird thing where if I coast down a hill and then dab on the break to control my speed sometimes the engine will suddenly rev really high until I apply the accelerator again at which point it'll rev a bit higher then drop back down to normal.

Edited by Cameron20

Sounds like it need a trans service and may have a coolant leak (probably a cracked expansion tank). I would personally recommend BM Workshop or Godo Workshop in botany. I use Godo, ask for Terry. He used to work at Auckland city bmw so knows everything about these cars. And all for less than half the price. Hope this helps.

Thanks BM Workshop is one of the first ones that popped up on google and are somewhat closer to me than the Newmarket Dealership. Can't find Godo Workshop though. The only thing that comes up is a vehicle rental place.

Edited by Cameron20

Sounds like the transmission needs a full service asap and the leak identified (lots of places for coolant and oil leaks). If the transmission shifting problems are fixed after that then it may be worth getting a full check done to see whats needed\how far you want to go, then proceed from there

Lots of rubber and plastic wear items on these M54 engines unfortunately - plastic coolant pipes under the intake manifold and crankcase vent valve with rubber and plastic hoses are quite expenses fixes if paying labour on top of parts. It's typically only enthusiasts that work for free and buy their parts that bring these cars up to good condition (and keep them running). Understandably the costs involved to the average person aren't worth it given the price of these cars now.

BM Workshop have a good rep  

• Like 1

Also Burgers Motor Works on the North Shore.

Can only echo what others have said.... that transmission thing where it can rev high if you have braked slightly on a downhill is a deceleration feature. It shifts down and controls speed that way as opposed to you sitting on the brake pedal.  It depends on your speed etc as to how it applies itself.  But it does sound like the transmission may need a fluid and filter change at least?

You've probably got one or more vacuum leaks on the likes of intake boots and oil ventilation hoses contributing to less than ideal performance.  Needs to be sorted asap before the coolant leak leaves you with nothing..

Trans shifting up when braking going downhill is a feature that is meant to happen.

True but when people say really high revs i think like 5-6k on these. If its just engine braking in the mid range then normal as above. Still likely needs a service.

Thanks for the all the replies. I'll contact the workshop next week and relay the info here. Hopefully can get this car cleaned up. I hope for this car to last another 5 years at least before having to buy a new car. This is an automatic by the way. I should have specified that in the beginning.

Edited by Cameron20