Sign in to follow this  
lbo99

E46 318ci N42 Rear Main Seal leak

Been having massive oil leak from my daily for awhile. Brought my car to a local mechanic that build Honda and Bmw race cars last week and was told that the sump gasket was leaking. Spent 1.1k to fixed it along with a new oil and filter change (I provided the oil). Found out the car is still leaking the night i took it back from them. Thought it was just the gasket running in but it leaks like crazy the day after some spirited driving. Brought it back today, took them nearly two hours to check. Not minding that they wasted some of my petrol keeping the engine on for like 40 minutes.

End result they told me that the rear main seal is causing the leak, will be a $800 job. They told me it wasn’t leaking when they checked the car while replacing the sump gasket earlier. Am I just unlucky or what should I do about it....

Sorry fellows, this sounds like a rant tread?

Edited by lbo99

$1100 for a sump gasket is crazy money.

If your cvv is blocked you will keep blowing seals as it will just look for the next weakest seal/gasket.

But if your cvv is blocked they should have picked up on that first.

1 hour ago, zero said:

$1100 for a sump gasket is crazy money.

If your cvv is blocked you will keep blowing seals as it will just look for the next weakest seal/gasket.

But if your cvv is blocked they should have picked up on that first.

Forgot to say 1.1k includes a pair of new engine mounts as well, but it’s still pretty expensive imo. I don’t really feel like spending more money on my daily but I guess I’ll just fix all these so that that the car will be good to go for a few more years (hopefully). Really want to to upgrade to a 330ci and make it a very nice daily, just can’t really find a nice example atm and my 318ci kept giving me problems ??‍♂️

Edited by lbo99

If its the N42 motor then sorry to say but its a money pit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zero said:

If its the N42 motor then sorry to say but its a money pit.

Couldn’t agree more but since I’ve already got most stuff sorted. Might as well just finish all of them. Most of us (bmw guys) bought our car in the first place knowing that it’s not worth it but still did anyways because we simply just like our bmws. 

Edited by lbo99

I understand, I'm in the same boat.

You definetly want to check the cvv is not blocked before you spend more money chasing leaks though.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 3:57 PM, qube said:

just daily the M3 :)

Hahah seriously thinking of going that route now, my m3 has higher ks but it’s still far more solid and reliable than my 318ci.