Sign in to follow this  
modz

E30 coupe M54B30 zf recaro 5 stud build

Clio Brake Booster

Next up was the brake booster - I had landed a Clio Mk3 booster from the UK and tidied up a little.

A quick bore out of for the clevis pin to 10mm, and cut down a drill bit to 24mm and installed into the master to make up the piston space. 

All bolted in super easy - highly recommend this mod!

IMG_6259.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6547.JPG

IMG_8666.JPG

Edited by modz
Added part #

Front Lip

While I had it taking up space, I figured I'd install the front lip.

It is a replica, and while I have brand new clips the lip is miles off in places in terms of fitment.  I'll need to finesse it a bit more before I'm happy.

For now, at least it looks better

IMG_7277.JPG

IMG_7276.JPG

• Like 1

Other misc items completed

• Finished welding the passenger arch rust
  • Reinstalled passenger fender
  • Installed bulkhead battery terminal
  • ECU Flashed
  • Installed heater hoses
  • Bought E39 530i engine loom (a must have)
  • Installed the front adjustable suspension and new top hats
  • New front brakes
  • Removed the rear subframe, diff, arms and sold them
  • Prepped a new subframe (pics to follow)
  • Bought an LSD
  • Bought driveshaft hoops (NZ Speedshop)
  • Installed solid Trans mounts
  • Fitted spring washers to all engine / trans mount bolts (Cert)
  • Mocked up seat belt points (pics to come)
  • Mocked up seats / rails / seatbelts
  • Sold a pile of old parts

IMG_7064.thumb.JPG.c558be1b328954d6bdcde1dca1db01d4.JPG

And battled with f******g wiring.

IMG_6485.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG

IMG_6475.JPG

IMG_7088.JPG

IMG_7255.JPG

IMG_6476.JPG

• Like 1

Recaro's

After 3x sets of fishnets which were all stuffed, I picked these up ages back out of an Evo 4 shape GSR.  

One is mint, the other needs bolster repair.  I considered Evo4 SR's but they are usually grey / orange/maroon pattern which I didn't want.

In the meantime for mockup I took my Evo1 Recaro office chair apart and used that to figure out things

IMG_7288.JPG

Recaros.jpg

• Like 2

Spare wheel well

After 2 hours straight hammering, welding, grinding and swearing the new wheel well was in.  A bit of rust proofing, seam sealer and a top coat had the boot floor looking way better.

IMG_7282.thumb.JPG.5404950bdbf5f51be01d5dec4fec6d17.JPGIMG_7281.thumb.JPG.1bf4a1f92915b9188eb400a50e61b6a6.JPGIMG_7287.thumb.JPG.487110ed1b1975d9f87ac9fc61bd4b6f.JPG

83173436_116292869687806_3316116692731428864_n.jpg

• Like 1

Wheels!

And last but not least the ongoing wheel saga.  I ended up picking up some Style 194's which fitted perfectly but were a bit too stock looking for me so sold them.

Realised without major fender manipulation my Style 66's (staggered) were never going to fit.  So I swapped them for the 4th set of wheels to adorn the car....

IMG_7135.thumb.JPG.0a8aa65e63890289129da42cff419dac.JPGIMG_7127.thumb.JPG.9482a33ac65632d7f50f411847e0df89.JPGIMG_7138.thumb.JPG.af08625720f329e60b3e21478976ce09.JPG

• Like 1

The New Wheels

Very happy with these, they suit the build and car very well.  Need some new rubber.

They are a square set, so will keep an eye out for a staggered set.

And one day, the passenger door may go back on...

IMG_7254.thumb.JPG.490fb4bed739a3d8ad0991e6f0de2620.JPGIMG_7256.thumb.JPG.d700b0c5ed861e0ecef9ef09b2559e37.JPG

Blacked out

I always wanted to Shadowline the trim, and replace the rear quarter windows with the better condition ones I had, so after much cleaning, prepping and sanding I had this result

IMG_7273.JPG

IMG_7262.JPG

IMG_7263.JPG

IMG_7265.JPG

• Like 1

Short Shifter

Picked up one of Arron (bm speedshop) in the very early days; and has been sitting on my shelf since.

Finally had the chance to mock it up to check clearance etc.  Very nice piece of kit.

Initial pics are with the E36 base which has now been replaced with the E30 version (middle pic)

IMG_6471.thumb.JPG.8ae04f49d86cb62c0b9b857ecab4374c.JPGIMG_7304.thumb.JPG.f1d74843ebcb7986b03dac5ff21ba223.JPGIMG_7133.thumb.JPG.c78b8672cc547e78e71c92c51c9803fa.JPG

Next up:

• Dash out (crack free going in)
  • Seat belt mounts
  • Drive shaft hoops
  • Rear end back together / cv rebuilds
  • Power Steering install
  • Shifter install
  • Finish wiring
  • Finish fuel system

and heaps more....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, modz said:

Recaro's

After 3x sets of fishnets which were all stuffed, I picked these up ages back out of an Evo 4 shape GSR.  

One is mint, the other needs bolster repair.  I considered Evo4 SR's but they are usually grey / orange/maroon pattern which I didn't want.

In the meantime for mockup I took my Evo1 Recaro office chair apart and used that to figure out things

IMG_7288.JPG

Recaros.jpg

You can buy brackets from someone here in NZ that bolt direct to E30 rails, as those NZKW rails you will have to mount the seat belt buckles to the body as they are not certifiable being bolted to those frames.

Also still looks like you need A LOT of caster adjusted on your front suspension, definitely wont pass a cert like that. with a lot smaller Tyre those 66's would have fitted.

Looks like you are making great progress but would definitely look into SRS caster Lower control arm bushes

• Like 2

@WYZEUP thanks was the place that sold the seat brackets EuroTurbo by chance?

Re caster, yeah the 66's would have fitted but I prefer the M3 wheels anyway.  I should have said the LCA's aren't even bolted in in those pics which is why they're so far back in the arch.  I've got some Condor speed shop solid offset bushes to try this week, otherwise will def go for SRS.

I bought mine from ATS Performance but you could also try mike at euro turbo. 

Ahhh those LCAB should work, but the SRS ones def work as i used them on my 5 stud conversion. M3 wheels do look good on it. fit well.

• Like 1

Jeepers.  Has been a while since the last update.  Lots happened.   I'm not going to try to update this in order so will add posts as I find / align pictures.

Brief run down of tasks:

• Driveshaft shop driveshaft installed
  • Driveshaft hoops installed
  • Med case LSD 
  • Rebuilt cv's
  • New wheel bearings pressed in
  • Adjustable susp all round installed
  • New brake pads / discs all round, braided lines
  • Ditched the replica IS Lip and replaced with genuine BMW OEM (fits MILES better)
  • Installed all remaining engine components (Y Pipe for brake booster, inlet, MAF, throttle body, injectors etc as per.  All rebuilt, cleaned or replaced before install)
  • Stripped the E39 530i loom
  • Installed a M54 > E30 facelift loom
  • Replaced the dash with crack free version
  • Installed restored vents, HVAC panel
  • Pedal box installed
  • Clutch hard and soft lines finished
  • New NOS carpet installed (after dyed charcoal)
  • New hockey stick / c pillar trim gaskets
  • New door rubbers

I'll cover off some of these with pics shortly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So the missus went out for drinks one night (pre Covid) and I was a bit bored. So thought I'd give the Tail lights a good going over.   Selected the best 2 out of the pile and went to work.

Rubber restore on the best gaskets

Disassembled the housings

Gave them a bath - dishwash liquid to the rescue!

After a good dry and blow out with an air hose they had a plastic polish.  Came up pretty well.

Now they're in storage wrapped up in bubble wrap until they can be fitted.

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

• Like 1

Some pics of the carpet in.  Wasn't a simple job but so much nicer than bare floor I'd been staring at for nearly a year.

I dyed it using VHT spray dye from Navy to charcoal.  Still looks a bit navy in some lights but came up well, especially against the houndstooth trim.

IMG_8270.JPG

IMG_8271.JPG

TVWO9963.JPG

• Like 1

More pics out of order, but sharing is caring...lol

After realising my manifold needed to be extended 130mm (plus a slight angle) I found some pipe at work and jumped on the 3phase mig.  Super greatful to have a fab room in my office....!

Once that was done I wrapped both headers and installed with brand new gaskets and nuts. Very happy with how this turned out

IMG_8045.JPG

IMG_8048.JPG

IMG_8049.JPG

IMG_8099.JPG

• Like 3

Wow, just had a read through the thread tonight. Terrific attention to detail. An E30 getting the TLC they require and some rather necessary modernization - will go very well. 

Only suggestion I would make from personal experience is to NOT use exhaust heat wrap, the stuff traps moisture when cold encouraging rust, they also insulate the steel so well they get super hot, beyond what they normally would. I had a wrapped manifold make terrible contracting sounds because it was getting so hot, eventually once I took the wrap off after a while the stainless steel looked totally different as though it had been tortured excessive temperatures. I did some research and found a lot of horror stories of people using it and having rust holes develop over time, and particularly cracks. From what I understand, the only reason it exists is for motorsport and bike use where a mechanic or operator might burn themselves working near a hot pipe when they can't let it cool down, so it acts like a good safety feature. 

In the end I made up custom manifolds and had them ceramic HPC coated inside and out, many years later they still looked exactly the same, no rust whatsoever. 

If radiant heat is a concern a fabricated heat shield as well as HPC coating would be the best of both worlds. 

@Michael cheers! I’m pretty fussy so tend to go overboard on builds... 

re exh wrap I tend to agree. Usually I HPC on my race and drag cars. But as a road car the cert man wanted it as a heatsheild for the steering column so I’ve had to do it. It might not stay on there long term ;)

• Like 1

Crack free dashboard out of storage and installed.  Had it over a year before I could get it into the car

IMG_7292.JPG

• Like 1

3 Pedals are better than no pedals...

For the drive-by-wire pedal conversion, and to remediate some rust I had to cut out the old Accel pedal mount and fab up my own.

Extended the slot in the carpet and got it all in.

Because of access / space constraints, I'm wiring the car up with the ECU in the engine bay to get it running.  I've got a spare accel pedal to wire up and use outside of the car while I'm getting it going.

IMG_8216.JPG

IMG_8217.JPG

This is how the car lived while waiting for parts and time.  Nice reminder of how far it's come.

IMG_8039.JPG

IMG_8068.JPG

IMG_8179.JPG

Scored a new rear bumper when I grabbed the rear battery tray out of a wreck in Hamilton. For time reference, I did that on Waitangi day.  Yeah time flies etc.

Got it home and sprayed it the correct shade of Delphin to match the car.   Plastic restored the bumper trims and she's mint.

Bonus is it cost me $50, sold my old bumper for $50.  Bazinga :)

IMG_8156.thumb.JPG.1ff90fa40f3a5525feb39f461b55c5b1.JPGIMG_8157.thumb.JPG.7f2966d84edb0f4d307a976ef6c6e5b8.JPG

Somewhere along the way I modified the E34 dipstick with the e46 ccv return tube.

While I was there I cleaned the dipstick and replaced all the dipstick O rings.   Boring, but important.

IMG_8069.thumb.JPG.60f0c5152f15dec41d95ad48a1820e0d.JPGIMG_8151.thumb.JPG.accdfe54b19f458a69426870259e6b82.JPG

Burned a whole hour in the garage the other night prepping the rocker cover fittings.

Rummaged through storage, found 30+ if the fittings, picked the best ones.  Wire wheeled them, fitted washers and new rubber grommet/o-rings.

Again, boring but necessary to get a good seal.

IMG_8564.JPG