Sign in to follow this  
modz

Time-Sert Installation Guide

Firstly, full disclaimer:  Ordinarily Time-Sert installs would be done by a machine shop and would also be done on a bare block.  BUT I had neither of these options.

This thread is purely to assist others, and probably humour the rest of you.

Best source of reference is my old mate 50's Kid on youtube, who has a great vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOfxg_Dto-U

For those who are interested, I did perform this myself and with success.  Took my time, machined up guides to ensure straight drilling, used multiple drill bits etc

Scary? Yes.  But completely do-able, and without a drill-press IF you are careful.

Would I use time-serts again?  Yep absolutely.  To the point I'd not put headbolts back into an alumium block without doing it.  So much stronger.

All up this took about 2 hours end to end.  And 3 whiskeys.

What you need:

• 10.3mm drill (sharp)
  • 12.3mm drill (sharp)
  • M12 x 1.5 pitch tap
  • 14x Timeserts on their own these are around $80 delivered from https://www.alleuroparts.co.nz/parts in Silverdale. Great team to deal with.
  • A range of drill bits up to 10.3mm and up to 12.3mm
  • A torch
  • An old vacuum or air compressor
  • Cotton buds
  • Good lighting
  • Patience
  • Whiskey

Preparation

• Remove the head mount guides (2x) from the block with needle nose pliers.
  • Don’t bend them as they’ll be reused!
  • Tape over all of the block
  • Drop the head gasket back on and trace around the bolt holes
  • Cut out areas where the holes are (sharp razor blade or scalpel)

Drilling out the threads

• Start with an 8.5mm drill bit drilling out the threads, move up in 0.3mm-0.5mm increments. 
  • The depth of each hole is 46mm. Mark this on each drill bit (masking tape and a sharpie work) so you don’t over or under drill.
  • Take your time, start each hole slowly.  The drill will naturally straighten in the hole – this is why using small incremental drills is essential.
  • Vacuum away debris whenever possible – aluminium shards go everywhere!
  • Have a whiskey.

Drilling the tapered collar

• Time Serts have a tapered collar to stop them going deeper than necessary into the block.  This collar is 12.3 mm
  • Once each hole is drilled out to 10.3, drill out the upper sections of each bolt hole to 12.3 mm.
  • Note: You ONLY want to drill 6mm deep.  Again, mark your drill bits (or even better, use a drill bit stopper) and take your time.
  • Start with an 11mm bit and work your way up.  This will be tricky!
  • Have a whiskey.

Tap the threads

• Get some oil or cutting oil, and also pack the edges of the Tap with grease to help pick up any threads.
  • A 2 handed tap handle is best as this will keep your tap straighter.
  • Even better, is a Tap guide, which is about $8 USD.
  • Take your time.
  • Every 3 turns or so, turn the tap handle anti-clockwise to break the threads free.  This keeps the tap clean to continue to tap.
  • Bottom the tap out in the hole.
  • Wind the tap completely out of the hole and repeat until all are done.

Clean up

• Aluminum is non-magnetic, so magnets in the hole will be useless for debris.  A vacuum doesn’t really work as there is no cylindrical force to lift the debris up.
  • A compressor will a little (and spray metal debris everywhere), but by far the best I found was buying 200 cotton buds and using about 10 in each hole until I could see the bottom of the hole clearly with a torch

TIP: Put a dab of grease on the end and it’ll sponge up the particles

Re-tap

• Once the holes are clean, run the tap right down and back up in each hole to check for binding and to clear any debris from the threads.
  • Repeat the clean up with cotton buds

Guide reinstalls

• Reinstall the guides in the block for the head. They will fit back into their original location.

Time Sert install

• Take an old head stud and put the Time Sert on the end (even better, get 3-4 and do a production line of them).
  • Apply a few drops of Loctite High Strength (226 from memory).
  • Wind the Time Serts into the 10.3mm / M10x1.5 holes until they bind.  Turn a further ½- ¾ turn to spread the lower threads on the Time Sert, which will ‘grab’ into the block.

Tip: Use a cordless impact driver to wind the bolts in and out, but a ratchet to tighten the Time Sert into the block

24 hours

• Wait 24 hours (or more) for the Loctite to work, before attempting any head reinstallation.

Re installation

• Remove all tape from the block, vacuum / clean the area with alcoholic solution.

Reinstall the head gasket and head

• Check hole alignment.
  • Oil new head bolts
  • Wind into the block
  • Perform torque sequence (40ft/lb) followed by 2 rounds of 90 deg tightening

Have a final whiskey :)

Once I work out how to embed the image links from dropbox I'll put them alongside the detail above

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5521.JPG

IMG_5550.JPG

IMG_5552.JPG

IMG_5555.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's pretty much how I did mine. It's been sweet as.

• Like 1

I just read about using these yesterday. Thanks for posting this, will be of help.

• Like 1

Why the increase in the initial head torque Mark ? Should be 22 ftlbs or 30Nm

3979503279_a37f28784f_b.jpg

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

12 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Why the increase in the initial head torque Mark ? Should be 22 ftlbs or 30Nm

3979503279_a37f28784f_b.jpg

The head bolts instructions I had stated 40NM (not ft/lb) so just followed that :)