Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

E39 525i cam position sensor issue

Hi so I've been working away on a 1997 525i I picked up for next to nothing, seemed too clean to part out. Would start and run but would not Rev over 2k and sounded like it was pinking a bit.

Over a few weeks I checked fuel pressure, did a compression test and scanned it with my budget scanner. Faults were camshaft position sensor and "ecu failed self test". I've changed the cam and crank sensors with no change. I had a spare ecu reprogrammed for 525 and swapped that in. No ecu fault now but no change. Replaced cam position sensor again and no change. Read Data stream and says cam position is 59 degrees. I compared that to my running 528i which is -2.88 degrees !

What do you reckon is up here? Vanos failure? Has someone messed around with cam timing? Prev owner said it started running rough one day after a re-fuel.

IMG_20191020_121127.jpg

IMG_20191020_120950.jpg

Edited by Etwenty1
typos

Have you cleaned the VANOS solenoid?  It might be stuck and not adjusting the VANOS.

The Idle control Valve manages the rev's up to around 2,500 rpm then the throttle body takes over.  Have you checked to see that the throttle body butterfly is opening when you press the accelerator?

17 hours ago, NZ00Z3 said:

Have you cleaned the VANOS solenoid?  It might be stuck and not adjusting the VANOS.

The Idle control Valve manages the rev's up to around 2,500 rpm then the throttle body takes over.  Have you checked to see that the throttle body butterfly is opening when you press the accelerator?

Swapped solenoid for another, no change. Swapped whole intake from airbox to throttle plate of another running car and no change. I've got a vanos repair kit coming so will have a chance to check timing.

It start and runs ok for about 10 seconds then turns to sh*t which made me think fuel but its got new filter, good pressure to the rail. Has horrible rattle from bottom end that comes on.