Sign in to follow this  
Thuli

Trunk won’t open

Hello.. I have an E39 523 98 model the trunk lock seems to be stuck on valet mode( the lock is on horizontal position and it can’t turn to vertical position)and I have tried lubricant on the lock, the remote also can’t seem to work and I hear the last resort is to drill a hole behind the license plate. If that’s the case where exactly should I drill

Do you often use the key lock or have you locked it once and cant unlock? I.E is it likely to have broken or is it perhaps seized. 

My e39 lock was so stiff from not being used perhaps ever that I wondered if I would break the key before it finally turned. 

Do the rear seats fold down? If so climb into the trunk and manually release it, that will make diagnosing the problem a lot easier.

12 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Do the rear seats fold down? If so climb into the trunk and manually release it, that will make diagnosing the problem a lot easier.

Nah the rear seats don’t fold down and there is a steel plate behind them

1 hour ago, andrewm said:

Do you often use the key lock or have you locked it once and cant unlock? I.E is it likely to have broken or is it perhaps seized. 

My e39 lock was so stiff from not being used perhaps ever that I wondered if I would break the key before it finally turned. 

I often use the key to open the trunk but it stuck but hey I ended drilling a small hole behind the license plate and managed to open it I guess I need to get a new lock