Sign in to follow this  
CoxyNZ

E30 1988 m20 idle problem

When blipping throttle (even smallest amount) revs drop suddenly down to 200-300 (occasionally dies). When cold it idles super rough at around 600rpm. Replaced intake boot and cleaned maf and no intake leaks as far as I am aware (have thoroughly checked). I'm thinking idle control valve? Also car runs super rich almost sickening standing next to the exhaust especially when cold. Any common easy things to check? Any help appreciated thanks

Idle control valve is common issue. Clean it with CRC or similar, and if that doesn't work, borrow a good one to try.

It will be stinky alright - especially cold - if it doesn't have a catalytic converter... Dads E30 was a 1990 NZ new version and there was zero emissions stuff on it - not even a charcoal cannister.

51 minutes ago, CoxyNZ said:

ETA?

M20b27 - the low revving fuel efficient version of the m20. They are particularly prone to this problem. But of a tune and some maf adjustment usually makes that managable. 

Edited by C-130 Hercules

It's a m20b27 with the 2.5 head. I think I have narrowed down the problem to replacing the spark plug wires and the new ones not coming with a pulse sensor. Would this be the cause of the issue? Thanks

Unsure if previous owner has done. After replacing the pulse wire still having the issue. Last thing I haven't checked would be throttle position sensor. Are they easy to adjust? Thanks

16 hours ago, CoxyNZ said:

Last thing I haven't checked would be throttle position sensor. Are they easy to adjust?

You can try, I haven't had to go down that track. Have you had a go withe MAF adjustment screw? Only adjust by small amount. 

I've been having the same issue the past months - exactly the same symptoms plus the RPM dipping every few seconds (and stalling when cold)

Did you get it sorted?

What I've done:

Smoke test (no significant vac leaks), clean out the ICV with carb cleaner, replace throttle position sensor (mine was bad, easy to test), pulled apart the AFM and adjusted the slider thingo

All of this did not much at all unfortunately, I ended up swapping the ignition coil which was bad and causing the idle to dip so now I just have the symptoms above. 

What I would recommend to do if you haven't already: 

Test AFM with a known working one if you can 

Failing that - check out the TPS with a multimeter 

On later cars, there is an round connector under the intake manifold, it can cause bizarre misfires, or the occasional hiccup. Worth spraying the terminals with a decent contact spray.

Dads old E30 would VERY occasionally have what felt like a single misfire - cleaning that plug solved it..