Sign in to follow this  
B.M.W Ltd

Amazing X3 M40i

Went for a drive in the Brother Inlaws 2019 Beast in the weekend. Absolutely amazing. vehicle. I've never been so thrilled and scared at the same time with the performance and superb handing. I can't say where , what and how quick. Pity it's limited to 250kph ? The technology in this vehicle is amazing

D2.JPG.37a3175328697f28c415e586f0c53c11.JPGD1.JPG.0b692ee06843ef0a2636e1b7e31749a1.JPG

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 4

I remember when slapping an M badge in front of the model was something plebs did, still looks just as terrible. 

I always assumed it came from being boxed in when they first introduced the X5M - they couldn’t call it the MX5 so had to go the other way. 

It's actually a very much local thing, thanks to the NZ version of the E30 325i Sport being badged as an "M325i" in this market. That seems to have lead to lots of people putting M badges in front of the model designation here, I've never seen it in any other market, even the UK or Aussie.

This, however, is the proper badging on this model as it is an M Performance version, with as Glenn says, the power and performance to go with badge and other blingy bits.

Now you can go set some laps on the track with kids in the back seat and groceries in the front. 
Pointless car. Anyone buying this is driving it purely for the brand and look. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/8/2019 at 11:05 AM, blake12 said:

Now you can go set some laps on the track with kids in the back seat and groceries in the front. 

Hmm, practical fast and AWD for wet conditions. I haven't driven one but plenty have and it gets good revirews. I would prefer a sedan or coupe for looks but the fact is its faster than my modded 335i and a hell of a lot more practical. BTW just about everyone here drives BMW for the brand :) 

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 11:05 AM, blake12 said:

I disagree. My wife's daily is a fully (or near fully) specced '06 X3 E83 with M-Sport package (including sports suspension settings). While it's only the piddly M54B25 and lacks grunt, it weighs a couple of ton and still handles like its on rails when going around corners. I wouldn't bother taking it out on track, but it still puts a massive grin when going through the twisties. I'm sure the M40i is built exactly for that - daily duties and the occasional squirt. 

In regards to its size and shape, I wouldn't say it's pointless because there are reasons why people might opt for a taller car than a station wagon, e.g. back problems, but still don't want the X5 which is much more expensive and considerably larger.

FWIW, I personally think the X6 is a stupid shape because you lose the cargo space, but i'm sure there are people who see the appeal of it and love having the option to get what they like.

• Like 4