Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi_BMW

M62 tuning

Is it possible to take a M62TUB4.8 and fit M6244 heads to it??

Thus creating a 4.8l non vanos V8 = a power increase over the standard 4.4l

I know Alpina created the M62B46 for their Alpina B10 E39.

Anybody done this??

Isnt the m62b48 an alpina special and the bmw 4.8 motor the N62B48? 

If you have the alpina special lying around then thats interesting otherwise N62 not likely to work. 

6 hours ago, Kiwi_BMW said:

I know Alpina created the M62B46 for their Alpina B10 E39.

Not sure about the head swap, lots of variables come into play such as cam size, lobe separation angle, the displacement of the head itself, valve size and geometry, timing gear swap and so on...... not sure you'd get all that much power for a whole lot of work and (probably) a huge expense....

M62B46 did come out in E53 X5's, I'm not sure precisely what year they started but I think it was from about '01 to '03.  

From what I've read the m62tub48 was developed from the M62tub44, I've always wondered if the N62 4.8 crank would fit in the M62 block, I know a M5 S62 crank can be made to fit the M62.

But can you take a TU engine and fit the non vanos heads etc to it??

The m62b48 are incredibly rare, and almost impossible to find.

My thoughts would be that if you found one you would devalue it by changing the heads. I cant be sure, but did the b48 have vanos?

As far as putting different heads on these motors there is not much information that I have been able to find.

I know some of the heads have different combustion chamber sizes, which effects the compression ratio. Also some pistons are different too - some are domed and some are flat, and some have valve reliefs.

Unfortunately I think it would be impossible to know, without having the engines in front of you and measuring yourself. 

The other issue is cams, as not all cams fit all the heads.

From what I understand the Alpina M62TUB48 has vanos, just cant find a decent pic of the engine to get a good view of the cam covers to confirm this. From what I can tell it was developed from the M62TUB44, while the M62b46 was a development of the M62b44.

One article I read intimated the N62TU48 was a development from the M62TUB48, but there are a lot of presumptions about the Alpina motors with very few supported facts.

The advantage of a M62b48 would be it would go into a pre TU E39 and just require some tuning.

I did read an article about a M62TUB49, which was virtually a M62 bored and stroked using a modified S62 crank, this was getting very close to M5 HP figures.

Expect it would be far cheaper, easier and more HP to buy the VF supercharger kit. 

• Like 1

This ^^

And I would also expect a m62b48 to be more expensive to buy than a s62.