Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

Modified Car Insurance?

Back when I was a hoon a few years back NAC was the only real option. 

It seems these days there are few options. 

My current insurer won't touch my car with a 40' barge pole. 

Edited by EUROLESS
Spelling

Try Swann, can't be your daily though...

My Touran is with Club Auto. It's my daily, but I've never had to claim so far.

They were the cheapest I found, that actually had suitable cover.

My (or any) standard insurer wouldn't touch mine either - A Golf R32 = OK, a Touran = OK

...but both frankensteined into one = NO WAY!

I use AMI, they're OK to deal with and didnt bat an eye at my car (previously had engine swapped E30 with them, and modified WRX with them too) They also do agreed value rather than market if asked, for a reasonable rate.

• Like 1

I was at AMI prior to swapping - they very nearly had the policy written up... but a manager saw the list... engine swap 4cyl to VR6, auto to manual, FWD to 4WD, custom fuel tank, subframe mods, minor underbody mods, battery relocation... NO WAY they said. They had previously insured my VW Kombi with double it's standard HP though. I still use them for everything else, and have been really good.

That's interesting, AMI are underwritten by IAG, who also underwrite ASB, NZI, State,  and Lumley Insurance. I've not used the others, but state and ASB have  turned me down a few times. 

I'm with ANZ (Vero) now so maybe I should give them a go. 

Swann is also IAG, you'd be surprised what they're willing to cover and the options available.

And IAG is actually the owner, not just the underwriter, they have different brands for different markets/risks/purposes.

Interesting. I just assumed in the past that if state wouldn't touch it, no IAG insurer would.

The amount of times the customer service person would go talk to the under writer, then come back and say no, why the heck couldn't they say no, but iag said X insurer would.

IAG could have had my money but I always ended up at NAC

Try Star Insurance  (vero) .. If the online rater knocks out the quote.. contact Rob Giboney (his email is on Our-People section) see if  he will rate it on the total sum Insured.. or if you bought it recently they will insure the value on your purchase price. Rob loves any build and was willing to Insure an E30 V8 for cheap as chips a while back.. or contact a broker!

Decided I should probably try my normal insurance, ANZ (Vero), happy do it in current guise for a really fair price. 

• Haha 1

@M3AN Dave how has Swann been so far?

I need to move our classics to some form of Laid Up Cover.  Swann can supply it.
Have their policies been pretty consistent?

21 minutes ago, Driftit said:

@M3AN Dave how has Swann been so far?

I need to move our classics to some form of Laid Up Cover.  Swann can supply it.
Have their policies been pretty consistent?

Policy hasn't changed at all and I'm happy with that. I occasionally get a letter asking me if I want to review my agreed value and if so to give them a call (which I'll be doing after finding out how much that M3 Evo went for). Other than that zero hassles (but also zero claims). 

Ah never mind.  Just got a response from them.

"I can confirm we are now align with the wider IAG group which holds, STATE, AMI, NZI and NAC."  This is a cut and paste.  Possible English is not their primary.

They have zero interest in our 200sx because it is modified and told us to ask NAC.  Yeah no thanks.  Endless nightmare stories about them.
They want market value of my E34.  I guess I will check Trademe for all the other E34 race cars for sale..  They will also only cover it while in storage.  Covers nothing else.  Both cars are not considered "Classic" to them..

Sounds like this unique little insurance banner has been brought into line with the other generic ones.  Sad.

Will look at Classic Car Cover.

47 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Ah never mind.  Just got a response from them.

Swann?

If so :sadface:

Edit: so this page is not longer accurate? https://www.swanninsurance.co.nz/Insurance/Pages/Classic-Car.aspx policy docs haven't changed since April 2018.

Edited by M3AN

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Swann?

If so :sadface:

Edit: so this page is not longer accurate? https://www.swanninsurance.co.nz/Insurance/Pages/Classic-Car.aspx policy docs haven't changed since April 2018.

Yeah that was from Swann.  I said the same thing about their website being out of date.

Sent the exact same email to Classic Car Cover.  Will report what they come back with.

FFS.  I wonder where this call center is based?

Will the both the vehicle be garaged?
Have any of the intended drivers in the future have had an traffic offences, claims or criminal convictions in the last 7 years?

That was just after we told them the cars are in secure containers in a secure facility with cameras and electric fences.

Edited by Driftit