Sign in to follow this  
Clueless120i

Newbie without a clue

Hi guys. I am what I describe as very girly I bought my car because it “looked pretty” I have a 120i E87. Purchased second hand. And now I’m intrigued and want to learn about my car as much as I can. I have 2 questions as I am in no way car savvy! 

1. Description said “BMW 120i with M kit” does that mean I have the “look” of an M model? Without the perks of an M model? 
2. Am I able to change my standard steering wheel to a multifunction steering wheel? 

Cheers

1. impossible to know what "M Kit" means because it doesnt mean anything except a dealer/seller talking nonsense. it could be M Sport or it could be nothing with a fake M badge. Easiest way to tell is to upload a photo for us or post your rego and we can tell you straight away.

2. you can change the steering wheel and when i say you i probably mean someone who knows what they are doing because it may not be straight forward. 

3. please take the time and get the car checked out by a trusty mechanic for oil leaks and other problems because these cars are known for some issues with the engine and being good with service and getting regular check-ups will at least help against costing you thousands in emergency repairs/breakdown situations.

As above the engine in your car is known to be problematic. Many owner discover this expensive way unfortunately because of buying first and asking questions later. GL with it

Welcome to Bimmersport, you should find a lot of useful info in here for your car.

Pictures always help (and are encouraged on here) and give a lot of information about your car. It would certainly help answer your first question.

Swapping the steering wheel to the multi-function wheel will make it look a lot cooler, but there is a lot of other wiring and bits and pieces required to get all the buttons working. Stereo volume is quite simple but phone bluetooth, etc is a bit more tricky. It would depend very much what you are wanting to get out of it. As there is an airbag in the middle, it is not a job for the newbie.

If you are in Auckland, come along to a meeting with your car and there will always be people around to offer advice and help.