Sign in to follow this  
Gahan

First X5, petrol or diesel?

Hi all, I’m new here, looking at a 2010 or 2011 X5 that will be my first BMW. Keen to hear people’s thoughts on whether I should get petrol or diesel? I’ve heard petrol a bit more reliable / cheaper to maintain, but is there much of a performance advantage with diesel? This will predominantly be my partner’s car anyway, but keen to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

A couple of key factors here before this question can be answered.

1. How many kms per year will the car do, how much towing, heavy loads, etc?

2. What’s your budget?

More than 12,000kms and/or towing I would suggest diesel. X5s really suck the gas when towing.

Diesels tend to be slightly more expensive than petrols, so could be better getting lower km / better spec petrol over similar diesel.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. No towing, probably about 10-15kms per year, no heavy loads. I’d really like to only spend $20-22k, but that will only get me a 2008-2009 car and I’d really like to get one a bit newer with the 8speed auto... to get one that looks good (tints and decent wheels) I’m up for $25-30k+ according to Trademe! Cheers.