Sign in to follow this  
tony728i

728i Can't open boot

Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 E38 728i. I had some electrical problems and it seems that my alternator is stuffed. However, after having had a flat battery for some time. I jump started the car via the terminals in the engine bay and got the old girl going. Even managed to get enough juice into the cars battery to be able to restart it eaily. Everything on the car is operating fine except I can't open the boot WHERE THE BATTERY IS. I can't open it mechanically with the key, I can't open via the switch in the cabin and and I can't open it via the remote on the key. Has anyone had similar problems? I really need to get this sorted and would like to solve the problem without having to go to an auto electrician. I reiterate, everything else is fine, including the central locking system. Aaaargh!

20190909_130613.jpg

Why doesn't the key work? You should be able to manually turn it 45 degrees anti clockwise to unlock. 

Oh dear, this might be a take the number plate off the back and drill a hole, sounds drastic and it is but I’ve been there, and you never know it’s been done with the plate back on. There are very few options to get into these.

Few you tube videos on it, drill off the right middle and gives you access to the manual release. 

Great looking 728 by the way

Thanks Breaker - are you able to share a link to a youtube vid? I don't mind drilling a hole. Just need to get this problem solved. Kind of comforted by the fact that others have had a similar experience and that its not just me. lol Bit of a pity but where needs must...

think this one gives the best overview, ? good luck