Sign in to follow this  
kiwi535

new road hazard...e bikes

two close calls same day.

1)Stopped at traffic light at front of queue wanting to turn left,indicator going.I am the LH lane which is left turn and straight ahead.The red also controls me against pedestrians.The rh lane green arrow always goes green before thestraight/left light.So my light goes green and i only ease forward as there are still people on the ped crossing.As the last ped clears the crossing i actually accelerate just as a e bike whiszzes past on my left,i just missed her.She didnt even look back i dont think she realised what had happened.

2) going up Ngaio Gorge quite a steep road lots of bikes going up here you always pass several going up.There is a "fog line" painted about 500 mm out from the kerb a defacto bike lane.As i approach a pair of cyclists i notice that the rearmost cyclist is going quite a bit faster than the guy in front and sure enough she just pulls out into the lane proper to pass the other guy. just as i come alongside.I had anticipated this and had moved right enough to leave her room.

the speed some of these e bikes go u p the gorge rivals a 50 cc scooter!.The mismatch of speeds with other cyclists and the parity with cars is going to cause trouble

• Like 1

...there is certainly a (perceived) noviceness to many e-bike/scooter riders. People that would otherwise not, or never have much, ridden either... 

• Like 1

I'm a long term road cyclist and part time mountain biker - but in these cases you've mentioned, you can't combat stupid.  There are a lot of "new" cyclists on these things that simply haven't a clue...

• Like 3

I got passed by a scooter on the left, on a one lane (each way) road. idiot.

But yes, in theory a cyclist passing a car should do so on the right unless there's a marked bike lane, if that's too complicated or risky then they shouldn't pass. Bike riders (electric or otherwise) not looking for or seeing indicators have a death wish.

As an E mountain bike rider I can confirm that the vast majority of E mountain bikes have assistance that cuts out at 32kph. Many commuter bikes are unlimited.