Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Aussie E46s Grounded.

Ooh! BMW NZ could buy back our daughter's 318i!
It's not quite in the same condition it was when it left the factory, but that won't affect an airbag recall, will it? ?

You mean E46s in grounded Aussie. soon to be elsewhere no doubt.....

"BMW New Zealand has confirmed that "vehicles purchased from BMW New Zealand are not affected by the current safety recall in Australia.""

Hmm... because they have different airbags? I think not BMW NZ...

If they are by different manufactures so yes they are different hence why all cars are not affected. Japan had/has some strange rules where if you are selling a car in Japan it must have a certain number of Japanese made products in them. Hence jatco gearboxs etc. Not sure where Aussie fits into this but the directive comes from BMW AG which cars are affected 

I understand what you're saying and get the Jatco analogy but since NZ e46's were in the original airbag recall I think we can safely assume they're the same airbags as in the AU vehicles. I'm pretty sure they're all Takata airbags.

Unless I'm entirely wrong (it's been known to happen ?) then BMW NZ's statement is a bit irresponsible because it reads "don't panic, carry on".

did aussie not have the airbag recall?At the time my Mitsubishi Pajero had both front airbags replaced

Yeah, they did - I can only assume this applied to vehicles that haven't had the recall service completed... although the article doesn't make that explicit.

There's two stages to the NZ recall. The alpha airbags which are the dangerous ones which I can only assume Aussie have more of those fitted?? In NZ, alpha airbags are fitted in e46 up to 2000ish. Anything else is voluntary. 

21 hours ago, M3AN said:

"BMW New Zealand has confirmed that "vehicles purchased from BMW New Zealand are not affected by the current safety recall in Australia.""

Hmm... because they have different airbags? I think not BMW NZ...

Some info from an industry site that might help explain things.

Airbags.PNG

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

BMW NZ should have eluded to that in their release, why allow suspicion to even develop?

"E46 BMW's sold new in New Zealand do NOT have the airbags affected by the Au recall. However, if you have a JPN imported e46 (!!) then...???"

And why don't these releases come for AG anyway? It's hardly a "local" problem.

Local law makes a difference. Australia government is handling the airbag recall differently to NZ. You see this all the time with the way BMW North America handles things due to their suing culture