Sign in to follow this  
Bener

1997 E39 AUX adapter options - new owner.

Hi there everyone, I've just picked up a new (to me) 528i, and I'm loving it! I'd like to put an AUX adapter in, and so far I have three options. I'm looking for the best sound quality.

It has the business tape deck with CD Changer, so I can get: 

1. An AUX adapter that replaces the CD Changer - this would be ideal if it plugged in at the back of the stereo rather than in the boot at the changer end.

2. Tape adapter - I've got a tape stuck in my tape player, but I'm sure I can fix it. Apparently the Sony Walkman adapter, and a few others, actually give decent sound. 

3. Soldering to tape line outputs - this looks like a good option, but some people have stated that the audio quality is bad with this method.

All I need is a 3.5mm input jack in my system - I can't use the genuine BMW adapter as it only works for stereos built after 09/2002

Here's the car: 

Have a look at what I did for our daughter: 

Don't be put off by the 'headunit' description - we didn't go there!

• Like 1

I had a GROM bluetooth unit in my last e39. Relatively easy install, good sound and reliable connectivity. Is on the expensive end though. Best thing about it was how well it integrated into the factory headunit (mine was also pre 2002).

I was happy with mine and would recommend for E39 owners who want to keep the stock look but modern functionality

https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adapters/bmw_mini_98-05_bluetooth_ipod_iphone_adapter_-_behind_the_radio_connector.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gjm said:

Have a look at what I did for our daughter: 

Don't be put off by the 'headunit' description - we didn't go there!

Thanks for the info!

1 minute ago, BozzaFC said:

I had a GROM bluetooth unit in my last e39. Relatively easy install, good sound and reliable connectivity. Is on the expensive end though. Best thing about it was how well it integrated into the factory headunit (mine was also pre 2002).

I was happy with mine and would recommend for E39 owners who want to keep the stock look but modern functionality

https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adapters/bmw_mini_98-05_bluetooth_ipod_iphone_adapter_-_behind_the_radio_connector.html

Thanks BozzaFC, I'll look into it.

+ 1 for the GROM. Bluetooth + AUX + power, fit's nice and tidy. Worth the money in my opinion.

Edited by adro
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input @adro, I've sent a message to GROM to see what options will suit my model. They all list 1998 onwards, but the support guy has just asked for some pics so I'll update once I get something sorted. 

1 hour ago, Bener said:

Hey @adro and @BozzaFC, did your GROM kits fit behind the stereo or in the boot with the CD changer?

Mines in the front, @hunter has one in his E39 too but don’t know if his experience has been that great? 

Mine’s in the front too. If you don’t have DSP or nav, yours should go in the front too

1 hour ago, adro said:

Mines in the front, @hunter has one in his E39 too but don’t know if his experience has been that great? 

Yeah ive got one it's great now i have;

- got a replacment unit from GROM to replace the one that squeeled alot with interferance thru the speakers...

- upgraded to Samsung Galaxy 9, from 8. the audio is better quality from the phone and i can have the phone volume higher(as a line in over BT) meaning i have better control from the HU over volume and its the same levels as radio. 

only issues is i still can get mic or 3.5 mm jack inputs to work so havent installed them, but meh

its installed behind the HVAC

Edited by hunter

Thanks @BozzaFC, @adro and @hunter, I'll wait to hear from the guys at GROM and order what they recommend. I'm actually considering just going for AUX only, if one of them is compatible. I would prefer not to rely on the mic and bluetooth of the adapter hidden in behind the HVAC. There's a few really decent and discreet bluetooth kits to choose from that will do a better job I'm hoping.

Good to know they fit in there, I found a few that you hook up in the boot which seems crazy.

I've just bought a later e39 Business CD radio (the thing that installs behind the "flap" up front, with aux input (off ebay $220) for my May 02 build 530.  Also a $30 Bluetooth adaptor off ebay which plugs straight into the rear of the business CD.  Controls on steering wheel don't work (except for volume) but the sound is great, the aux input even has adjustable level which is good.  An earlier e39 may need a round pin to flat pin adaptor cable to suit the more modern units flat pins.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bener said:

Thanks @BozzaFC, @adro and @hunter, I'll wait to hear from the guys at GROM and order what they recommend. I'm actually considering just going for AUX only, if one of them is compatible. I would prefer not to rely on the mic and bluetooth of the adapter hidden in behind the HVAC. There's a few really decent and discreet bluetooth kits to choose from that will do a better job I'm hoping.

Good to know they fit in there, I found a few that you hook up in the boot which seems crazy.

If you just want a hard lined AUX. Dont get a grom, do what hqstu did with the business cd update and then you can also add bluetooth via that method if desired. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hunter said:

If you just want a hard lined AUX. Dont get a grom, do what hqstu did with the business cd update and then you can also add bluetooth via that method if desired. 

You mean getting a business CD unit from after 09/2002 and then getting the genuine BMW aux adapter?

I would like to do that but I think it would be difficult to source one for a decent price!

On 11/14/2019 at 9:26 PM, hqstu said:

I've just bought a later e39 Business CD radio (the thing that installs behind the "flap" up front, with aux input (off ebay $220) for my May 02 build 530.  Also a $30 Bluetooth adaptor off ebay which plugs straight into the rear of the business CD.  Controls on steering wheel don't work (except for volume) but the sound is great, the aux input even has adjustable level which is good.  An earlier e39 may need a round pin to flat pin adaptor cable to suit the more modern units flat pins.

I missed your comment here @hqstu when I replied to the last one - is there some kind of model number or search term I could use to find this particular model on Ebay? I'd love to go the full-factory method to get a nice clean sounding AUX with the factory stereo.

Here's one that I think will do the trick, it's from 2004 it appears:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2001-02-03-04-BMW-5-3-SERIES-CD-MP3-RADIO-AUX-PLAYER-OEM-65-12-6-943-433/273966678274?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Then a Bluetooth thingy:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bluetooth-Module-Radio-CD-Head-Units-AUX-Adapter-Cable-for-BMW-E39-E46-E53/183876204114?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The Bluetooth will plug into the black square plug going into radio, then power red from a switched 12v source in the loom, and earth the same.  Google is your friend on pin numbers etc.

Also google, you tube the removal and install of head unit, it's done a particular way...

Edited by hqstu
addition
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 10:12 PM, hqstu said:

Here's one that I think will do the trick, it's from 2004 it appears:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2001-02-03-04-BMW-5-3-SERIES-CD-MP3-RADIO-AUX-PLAYER-OEM-65-12-6-943-433/273966678274?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Then a Bluetooth thingy:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bluetooth-Module-Radio-CD-Head-Units-AUX-Adapter-Cable-for-BMW-E39-E46-E53/183876204114?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The Bluetooth will plug into the black square plug going into radio, then power red from a switched 12v source in the loom, and earth the same.  Google is your friend on pin numbers etc.

Also google, you tube the removal and install of head unit, it's done a particular way...

Wow nice info - do you know if I need a convertor for round to flat pins to fit one of these?

I'm a little but confused because like you say it looks like Sept 2004, but the SW version is only 42, and other threads say you need software version 43 or higher - I'm a bit wary about getting a unit shipped over that just doesn't work with my setup!

I would probably get one of the BMW genuine AUX adapters as I'd like to use my own bluetooth adapter kit, but other than that your suggestion looks perfect. 

I'm having trouble finding any ones at good prices when I search BMW CD53 - what did you search to find this one?