Sign in to follow this  
BozzaFC

The Silver Titan

Hahaa. Yeah it's a standard plate, and it's a 530i. Just lucky numbering I guess. 

540 badge might be a step too far ?

On 11/15/2019 at 6:50 PM, BozzaFC said:

179,500 kms.

• M badge delete. Install 540i badge. Ordered.

got it all wrong.  you need an iS badge!

On 11/15/2019 at 6:10 PM, BozzaFC said:

. The driver's side was still the original auto-dimming, and surprisingly had no leaks and functioned perfectly. But the inconsistency annoyed me, plus I like the classic BMW blue tint. Found a cheap blue mirror glass off Ali Express for $25 and swapped it in.

Do you have a link to these @BozzaFC Mine also have the auto dimming both have leaks / defects and BMW want 350, each for the galss.....?

@hunter https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32899251958.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.3a7876b1nu2T3h&algo_pvid=b15be1ff-fce5-472c-a81b-e71392ae835e&algo_expid=b15be1ff-fce5-472c-a81b-e71392ae835e-0&btsid=7f926f50-36cc-4b08-a97c-d46c44b0cd8f&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3,searchweb201603_55 :)

Alternatively, if you'd like the original auto-dimming mirrors, I'm happy to sell my working one to you for far less than the dealer. You'll obviously have to find another one though

Edited by BozzaFC
Alternative option

Cheers man.

My left (passenger) is far worse that my right. If your left is ok I may consider it. 

One satisfying (albeit eye-wateringly expensive) upgrade last weekend. 

Thanks @str8_6 for the help! This was actually quite an involved process - first the airbag must come out in what is a very finicky process (after disconnecting the battery), then after removing a few screws the two pieces of plastic trim (controls and lower trim) can be removed. These two pieces are attached with more screws, so they too need to be unscrewed before doing all the steps in reverse to put the new trim in.

This bugged me every time I got in the car. Looks really nice now.

image0.thumb.jpeg.dd454b19fd1458f08bfd172fe3c312aa.jpegimage1.thumb.jpeg.2237879af502db2fe96ffb93e754c5a2.jpeg

Edited by BozzaFC
Battery disconnect
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, hunter said:

Cheers man.

My left (passenger) is far worse that my right. If your left is ok I may consider it. 

Chucked you a PM 

On 12/2/2019 at 10:19 PM, BozzaFC said:

One satisfying (albeit eye-wateringly expensive) upgrade last weekend. 

Thanks @str8_6 for the help! This was actually quite an involved process - first the airbag must come out in what is a very finicky process (after disconnecting the battery), then after removing a few screws the two pieces of plastic trim (controls and lower trim) can be removed. These two pieces are attached with more screws, so they too need to be unscrewed before doing all the steps in reverse to put the new trim in.

This bugged me every time I got in the car. Looks really nice now.

image0.thumb.jpeg.dd454b19fd1458f08bfd172fe3c312aa.jpegimage1.thumb.jpeg.2237879af502db2fe96ffb93e754c5a2.jpeg

Don't start down that route... My replacement airbag means my dashboard now needs replacing as it looks too aged? 

• Like 2

@BozzaFC does it have the all important owners manual accessory? if not I have one if you want it. Funny what you find after a clear out...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, treone said:

@BozzaFC does it have the all important owners manual accessory? if not I have one if you want it. Funny what you find after a clear out...

I'm keen if Boston isn't. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adro said:

I'm keen if Boston isn't. ?

Oops, sorry I should've put it out there in general. So will give @BozzaFC first option by 8pm today ?, if not then happy for you to have it @adro. Hoping that is fair compromise?

Sorry - should say that it is a generic sedan/touring e39 owners manual covering models from 525i to 540i. Early 2000's print from memory.

Edited by treone
Update info

5 hours ago, treone said:

That would be awesome thanks! I'll PM

180,000 kms.

Vanos solenoids + gaskets installed. The engine is running smoother and has more mid-range torque. Unfortunately, hasn't fully gotten rid of my lumpy cold idle. I've noticed there is occasionally a puff of blue smoke on startup. PCV?

IMG_4798.thumb.jpg.85c4e8236649b8aff068bad174b38e9f.jpg

Front + rear pads and rotors installed by Jon at Auto 38. Managed to source ATE parts from BM Workshop Auckland. Great service and reasonably priced. Highly recommend. The brakes feel great and the stopping power is immense. You can't go wrong with these brakes. 

783178891_IMG_4852(1).thumb.jpg.75fb7fc27d92588be1cac118df0de3e6.jpg

Got the windows tinted last week. Took it to the same guy in Whanganui as I took the 530i to. Again, he's done a great job. I took the rear parcel shelf out too, which he said made the job a lot easier.

I also had a few days spare so I spent some time on the paintwork. The paint definitely needed some love; it felt rough and lacked shine. Fortunately though, it had very few swirl marks. Using mostly AutoGlym products, I first gave the car a quick shampoo as it was covered in bugs from night-country driving. I then applied the Magma iron remover over the paint and rims and shampooed the car again. Then I clay barred the entire car, followed by another shampoo, polish and AutoGlym paint sealant. Really happy with the results! The paint has got so much more shine and is seriously smooth to the touch. Also took the M badge off. I'm liking the de-badged look at the moment, but I've got a 540i badge for it which I will put on eventually.

IMG_4904.thumb.jpg.bfb1b80220303bb90cb87a532df91d7c.jpgIMG_4909.thumb.jpg.a144bf4611b2c7cd5d480898e355400b.jpgIMG_4914.thumb.jpg.640294c4f1fc239b7301c10da0786a16.jpgIMG_4918.thumb.jpg.96f1a5d3f090d969415df3fcb237cdc0.jpg

• Like 5

looking good, Bozza!  

looks like a golf club carpark ?

• Thanks 1

Spark plugs and coils is my go to idle/misfire fix.

• Like 2

I have a lumpy idle on mine from cold, at times. Scanned it with my bluetooth obd2 scanner got a camshaft sensor fault, so replaced that, helped slot plus other odd habits when driving. 

It's still present at times, Going through service history,  plugs were done years ago. So will be hitting the super cheap boxing day sales for some. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Olaf said:

looking good, Bozza!  

looks like a golf club carpark ?

In its natural habitat ?

• Haha 1

180,600 kms.

Over the Christmas period I was finally able to test out this thing. Intentionally, I set off for my drive home to the Manawatu in the evening to avoid all of the holiday traffic, and scouted out every tight, twisty back road I could find. Oh my. In spite of all my efforts, I was unable to get it to break a sweat. Its ability to hunker down and grip when coming out of a corner amazes me - it seems that the harder I accelerate out of a corner the harder it grips. And then there's the power. Regardless of whether I’m in 2nd or 5th, there is always oodles of torque. I found myself glancing away from the gauges for only a couple seconds before glancing back and seeing a stupid number. (It's hard to imagine how the M5 can be much better than this.) And obviously, in true E39 fashion, it was uber comfortable in between the go-fast moments, with a boot full of presents and other luggage. But best of all, it was flawless. Zero issues whatsoever. And what's more, even with all my spirited driving I still managed to pull off 10.2L/100km.

On a side note, as I pulled into my garage last night concluding the 600 km trip I realised that I've already done 5,000 kms in this thing. I don't dare calculate my cost per km, but at least now I've got a car that looks and drives a hell of a lot better than it did only a few months ago.

Edited by BozzaFC
Grammar
  • Like 7

Got a chance to do some nice cosmetic upgrades just before Christmas.

• First was the rear parcel shelf. It was faded and looked tired. I took out the rear seats, c-pillars and lights and @str8_6 very kindly helped me to dye the shelf back to its former glory. With the c-pillars out, we used this opportunity to glue the loose material back up to where it should be. I also cleaned and conditioned the rear seats while everything was in pieces. After leaving it out of the car for a week to dry, the shelf was popped back in and I'm very pleased with the result. The rear of the car looks much fresher!
  • image6.thumb.jpeg.af4b29209fa9014a63c6451f067af12d.jpeg1043234269_image2(1).thumb.jpeg.c70c20874ea7a9ec1409819029ba6b97.jpegimage3.thumb.jpeg.c32be5daa94ebaf0c4ef7849f3c24041.jpeg
  • Next I installed the shiny new 540i badge. I reckon it looks epic.1895757429_image0(2).thumb.jpeg.90e556a5b5bfba37878923a74cd9dbbe.jpeg
  • I also bought new centre caps and valve caps for the wheels. I was going to wait until I got them refurbished but I got impatient. The centre caps seem to be a slightly different design to the old ones - more sleek without the bulky outline (they also fit a lot more snug).image5.thumb.jpeg.64ada2b06b868235a900c1328ca6f0f5.jpeg1916572427_image4(1).thumb.jpeg.4d81d203048df044c441a58003b7a772.jpeg
  • Finally I got round to getting euro plates. Man, what a difference euro plates make (see picture of the M62 in its second home).844433794_image1(1).thumb.jpeg.4f0c33b4e0c3ca7c2657157f8fa62ceb.jpeg
Edited by BozzaFC
  • Like 9

180,700 kms.

Passed its WOF first go on Monday. Just two notes: one for the side indicators which apparently are very faded, and another for a weak handbrake. I'll sort both these out before the next one. 

She marches on.

On 1/1/2020 at 5:20 PM, BozzaFC said:

weak handbrake

When you sort this out let the rest of the e39 world know ?

• Haha 6

On 1/1/2020 at 5:18 PM, BozzaFC said:

Got a chance to do some nice cosmetic upgrades just before Christmas.

• First was the rear parcel shelf. It was faded and looked tired. I took out the rear seats, c-pillars and lights and @str8_6 very kindly helped me to dye the shelf back to its former glory. With the c-pillars out, we used this opportunity to glue the loose material back up to where it should be. I also cleaned and conditioned the rear seats while everything was in pieces. After leaving it out of the car for a week to dry, the shelf was popped back in and I'm very pleased with the result. The rear of the car looks much fresher! 

What sort of dye did you use?

23 minutes ago, hqstu said:

When you sort this out let the rest of the e39 world know ?

In my book its under yearly maintenance for all models esp the manuals.      

You should alcantara wrap your woodgrain areas :)