Sign in to follow this  
Subritzky

Diagnostic scan Taranaki E39 525i

Hey is anyone based in Taranaki/New Plymouth able to help me out with a diagnostic scan, I don't have a scanner handy and before I go out and buy one I was hoping someone near by could save me the hassle for the time being?

01 e39 525i auto

72536941_10162348025015481_4378776710833766400_n.jpg

I've had a couple conversations with him but I'm trying to save as much money as I can by diagnosing my self. And then going to HDR so I can tell them exactly what to do for me and have what ever component is needed ready to go at my expense

Has the professional workshop operator agreed to that ?

Not quite, he wanted to fiddle around and look for himself requiring more labor costs and he also wanted to order his own parts but as far as I'm concerned It's a service I'll be paying for, it's my money and what I say goes, if not I'll go elsewhere.

Edited by Subritzky

13 minutes ago, Subritzky said:

Not quite, he wanted to fiddle around and look for himself requiring more labor costs and he also wanted to order his own parts but as far as I'm concerned It's a service I'll be paying for, it's my money and what I say goes, if not I'll go elsewhere.

That may indeed be a blessing for the professional workshop operator.

• Haha 3

I think you might struggle to find someone to do that for you. It would be better to have the workshop diagnose it correctly and then you carry out the repair if you interested in saving money. In my experience, jobs where customers to self diagnose never goes well

• Like 2

If you diagnose incorrectly or the part you source fails prematurely you have no comeback.

Its always better to have the person installing the parts to also supply the parts, then there is no excuse like 'it failed cause your part was no good' etc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zero said:

If you diagnose incorrectly or the part you source fails prematurely you have no comeback.

Yes the owner does Nathan. You can't contract out. That's why sensible repairers will only diagnose the faults and supply parts for the repair themselves. It becomes a sh*t fight if it turns tits up and the repairer gets bad feedback for doing it. I'd rather read a book and have a few coffees and watch the grass grow than get into that situation . 99% of getting an effective repair done properly is diagnosing the repair properly first and then using quality parts to effect that repair in a timely fashion.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Subritzky said:

Not quite, he wanted to fiddle around and look for himself requiring more labor costs and he also wanted to order his own parts 

With respect, I think you're missing the point.  What you refer to as 'fiddling around and looking' is in fact Diagnosis.  The professional operator is exactly that; a professional.  Anyone can plug in a scanner; it's what they do with the information provided, and what the discover beneath the hood and in driving the vehicle that results in a diagnosis.  It's based on training, experience, knowledge.  They'll recommend an approach, estimate or quote for their work, and stand behind their work and the parts they've supplied.  

Nothing wrong with 'going it alone', plenty of us here do so.  Though with healthy respect for the professionals.

Cheers!

• Like 4

Ok thanks for the insight, I've just been raised to never trust a mechanic lol.

But at the same time I have no choice but to because I don't have the space knowledge or tools to do it my self.

I guess I will have to bite the bullet and do things properly.

Edited by Subritzky

The trick is to find an honest and capable mechanic.

Some of the Taranaki guys might be able to give you recommendations in your area

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Subritzky said:

Ok thanks for the insight, I've just been raised to never trust a mechanic lol.

But at the same time I have no choice but to because I don't have the space knowledge or tools to do it my self.

I guess I will have to bite the bullet and do things properly.

You can get your own advanced BMW scanning capabilities for the price of an old laptop (<$150) a $30 cable and some downloadable software. INPA will do do most of what you want and isnt too hard to operate. BMW scanner 1.4 is also good for a quick full system scans and quick reprogramming