Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

Personalised Plates Transfer

Hello, I have a question about personalised plates.

I'm thinking about selling my car which came with a Europlate when I first purchased it but now I'm thinking about selling the car and transferring the plate to my family car.

Would anyone know whether its a simple case of filling out a form and transferring the plate?  

I've heard somewhere that I may not actually own the plate even though I own the car.  

There is a statutory declaration form which you need to get signed off by a JOP then the plates will be entitled to your name. You need to send this to licensys. Not vtnz, nzta, or kiwiplates. 
You can do this if you own the car the plates are on and it has been over 30 days. 

after that you can just go to a VTNZ and go fill out a form for replacement plates to standard govt issue in order to sell your car. $25~

then you do another of the same form when you want to replace the plates on your new car with the personalised plates. $5~

you don’t need to do the stat declaration and still move the plates around your cars but you can’t get it remade unless it’s in your name. 

• Like 2

Pro tip.  Don't sell the car with the plates on the premise you will have the new owner send them to you once he gets home.

You may end up having to inform a quite obvious P dealer that the plates are not his and are worthless to him.  And that the guy whom he made a favorable trade with for his goods ripped him off.

It was quite an experience.  And there is still one of my plates out there somewhere.

• Haha 2

if u search on carjam is it currently registered to a car? if not, and it has been replaced by a govt issue or other p plate, then you should be able to get it remade then you can sell it on or whatever.

So I brought a ute 18 months ago. 

It had a plate on it. 

I replaced the plate when I sold the ute as the plate was going to go on my e21 as it's kind of shark related. 

Do I not own the plate that was sold to me on the ute. Do I need to get the old owner to sign the form for the JP? 

The way I'm reading it I need to get them signed over. 

Thanks. 

23 hours ago, qube said:

There is a statutory declaration form which you need to get signed off by a JOP then the plates will be entitled to your name. You need to send this to licensys. Not vtnz, nzta, or kiwiplates. 
You can do this if you own the car the plates are on and it has been over 30 days. 

after that you can just go to a VTNZ and go fill out a form for replacement plates to standard govt issue in order to sell your car. $25~

then you do another of the same form when you want to replace the plates on your new car with the personalised plates. $5~

you don’t need to do the stat declaration and still move the plates around your cars but you can’t get it remade unless it’s in your name. 

Thanks Kyu, thats very helpful!

Would you know where I would find this statutory declaration form?

Thanks

6 hours ago, curryinahurry said:

Would you know where I would find this statutory declaration form?

Here you go Andrew:

https://kiwiplates.nz/more-info/important-forms/

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Vapour said:

So I brought a ute 18 months ago. 

It had a plate on it. 

I replaced the plate when I sold the ute as the plate was going to go on my e21 as it's kind of shark related. 

Do I not own the plate that was sold to me on the ute. Do I need to get the old owner to sign the form for the JP? 

The way I'm reading it I need to get them signed over. 

Thanks. 

You own those physical plates, but unless you completed the transfer of entitlement you do not own the rights to the combination of characters, meaning you cannot get the plates re made at any point unless you go through the process above to claim the entitlement. It's not difficult, just more hassle than the normal transfer that is supposed to be done when plates are sold.