Sign in to follow this  
NZ00Z3

E91 with N47T engine, any good?

Hi

Looking for another car for the wife and a E91 touring 320d (build date 8/11) looks good.  Been doing some research into the potential problems of the E91 and found lots of information on timing chain failures on the N47 engine.  The car I'm interested in has a N47T engine but I can't find out much about the reliability and its  resistance to the timing chain issue.  Anyone know about these engines?

Regards

Murray

I think the N47 timing chain issues are probably overstated. There have definitely been issues but my feeling is these are pretty infrequent compared to the large number of N47's in circulation and the later engines are less likely to cause trouble. The N57 has the same timing chain setup and they seem to be pretty reliable. I suspect some of the issues come from the long standard service intervals - I feel very uneasy about 30000k between oil changes so have gone for 15k / 1 year on mine.

(Also, my dad's one - in a 2010 E91 320d - is going very well at 209000k, for an n=1 data point)

Edited by balancerider