Sign in to follow this  
BozzaFC

Who stocks ATE brakes?

Tried Milland Automotive, BNT, NZAD without any success. 

Ideally after a local supplier to save money/time with overseas shipping.

After discs and pads for E39 540i. 

Thanks.

Alternatively, Paul from Milland told me he stocks Meyle discs and pads. Anyone had any experience with these?

Edited by BozzaFC

Meyle gear *can* be good; the Meyle HD stuff is usually worthwhile as they've improved spec over any particular failure-prone kit.  Plain-old Meyle, I've stopped buying after some failures across different parts/vehicles in my fleet.  EDIT:  note I've never used Meyle brake rotors or pads.

Genuine:  have you tried Winger for parts pricing?  I've heard their genuine parts prices for brakes are pretty reasonable.  Don't discount before contacting them for a price!

Time to ship?  It'll only take you a week to get your gear from FCP, if you specify FedEx.  About 5 days from Mick's Garage in Ireland via DHL.  Schmiedmann are usually fast, though you have to be lucky that they're not on another national holiday!

FCP:  If you were bringing in kit from FCP, you're looking at around USD200 for freight for four rotors and pads.  Given your Zimmermann sport rotors with Jurid (OEM) pads come in under USD400; take exchange rate and GST into account and you're looking at about NZD1100.

Mick's Garage:  If you're looking for the low price, www.micksgarage.com will be very competitive.  Perhaps Textar pads front and rear (OEM), Mintex rotors (front), Textar rotors (rear), freight included:  NZD571.12!  Sorry they didn't have ATE, and the best could do on front rotors was Mintex. EDIT:  OMG, if you ordered pronto, you'll get their BLACK15 15% discount code, bringing it down to NZD520.38, plus any taxes here.  Blimey.

Schmiedmann...  (Hella) Pagid front rotors EUR172 for the pair (I'd be happy with Pagid), (Hella) Pagid front rotors EUR69.69 for the pair; Hella Pagid front pads EUR41.66, front Hella Pagid pads EUR25.41. ... but freight might be a tiny bit costly at EUR500.  How is it that Mick's Garage can freight the same gear from Ireland for free?!

I'd be putting Hawk HPS pads on, and considering Genuine rotors, or Zimmermanns (having good experience with both of these), or possibly Stop Tech rotors (I've run these on my e46 since 2013). HTH.

Edited by Olaf
meyle and brake rotors/pads
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... don't forget, you'll want wear sensors, and quite possibly new slider pins and (at least) slider boots/bushings as well, to ensure your calipers are floating nicely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BozzaFC said:

Thanks.

BM Workshop in Auck & CHCH

That's all we ever used in the business 

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

How is it that Mick's Garage can freight the same gear from Ireland for free?!

Can't answer about free shipping, but something has happened re shipping from Germany. I used to be able to ship from there, often by DHL, for €49-€79 for a set of 4 shock absorbers. About 2 years ago that suddenly increased to €200 or more, regardless of source.

I realise that ATE are OEM but Brembo rotors can be had from many places in NZ and are just as good.

Edited by M3AN

22 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I realise that ATE are OEM but Brembo rotors can be had from many places in NZ are are just as good.

Micksgarage also have Brembos on special. 

Plenty of reputable rotor brands out there that will do the job just fine, you will be replacing them again before you know anyway given the terrible thickness spec.

Edited by Eagle

23 hours ago, BozzaFC said:

Thanks.

One that's not been mentioned is Speed NZ in Tauranga. They're an ATE agent.
No idea how good, bad or otherwise they might be.

Edited by gjm

Actually Speed (Factor) NZ in Tauranga seem to be the real deal... I've had BMW stuff and a good friend has had Porsche stuff through them and it's all been legit for good value. I've heard they tap into some Asian genuine dealers and parallel import but that's not official info. They do offer a local RTB warranty exchange which is worth gold for valuable parts.

• Thanks 1

+1 for speedfactor, I got my koni sport shocks and Sachs clutch kit off Speed and they were brilliant to deal with.

• Thanks 1

I bought a set of genuine front rotors for e39 530i from Coombes for $335 in August.  I believe same as 540i.

• Like 1

Ended up getting them from BM Workshop Auckland. Excellent service and reasonably priced. Highly recommend!

• Like 3

I have mine on order with Speed Factor. Not a NZ-popular fitment so they're coming in from overseas, but this way I don't have to get involved with GST, import, taxes, duties and general faffing about.

With luck, they'll be here for me to fit while on my quite brief Chrimbletide break.