Sign in to follow this  
Blackie

Parts-nz, maybe avoid

These guys are on trademe, called parts-nz in Canterbury.

Enquired on Sunday the brand/manufacturer of this thermo

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2411021523

Checked back tonight in case I missed their reply. Must have touched a nerve because they have deleted my question and blocked me!

Obviously, I wouldn't recommend sending business to places that treat their customers like this.

Cheers 

• Thanks 2

It's high quality, that all you need to know.

• Haha 2

I think I will ask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a question to the same end.

Nor would I encourage others to - singly - ask a similar question... though I wouldn't suggest they shouldn't, either.

• Haha 1

Being blocked by them actually seems like an ideal outcome...

Thanks for the heads-up.

• Haha 2

He has four unanswered questions now lol

• Like 1

5 unanswered questions...

Zooming in on the pic, the writing 'RECON ELECTRONICS LTD' can be seen, which is the actual name of the company. They've been around a while and appear to be a husband and wife team (with backing); their returns are all up to date.

Bizarre that they seem to be refusing to answer a simple question.

to be fair, most of these types of resellers will obviously not disclose the actual brand of the products they are selling because you can then go find it from ebay for less or exploit their supplier/source. I dont have a problem with this practice because at the end of the day, you have a choice to go for cheaper brand at a locally marked up price, or go for an OEM from overseas, or go for genuine. it is all up to you.

given that this kind of industry is a price/margin driven business model.. it is inevitable basically.

I found "listing withdrawn by seller".

My point of view differs slightly from yours, Kyu.  I'm buying, and I want to know what brand they are selling me.  I make my own value judgement on whether it's a reasonable price.  We don't rock up to the supermarket for a packet of peas, and get given their choice of plain-pack per; we have a choice and if we prefer McKain or Watties, we choose for ourselves.  We can choose to buy from eBay, or the local BMW dealer, or even Aliexpress.  This vendor's behaviour is more likely to drive those behaviours, IMHO.  Who's to say the vendor wasn't selling OEM?  We don't know, as he won't respond to anyone.

I'd not buy from anyone evasive of the origin of their wares.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gjm said:

5 unanswered questions...

Zooming in on the pic, the writing 'RECON ELECTRONICS LTD' can be seen, which is the actual name of the company.

Potatoshop.

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

I found "listing withdrawn by seller".

My point of view differs slightly from yours, Kyu.  I'm buying, and I want to know what brand they are selling me.  I make my own value judgement on whether it's a reasonable price.  We don't rock up to the supermarket for a packet of peas, and get given their choice of plain-pack per; we have a choice and if we prefer McKain or Watties, we choose for ourselves.  We can choose to buy from eBay, or the local BMW dealer, or even Aliexpress.  This vendor's behaviour is more likely to drive those behaviours, IMHO.  Who's to say the vendor wasn't selling OEM?  We don't know, as he won't respond to anyone.

I'd not buy from anyone evasive of the origin of their wares.

Totally understand your viewpoint, but this is the nature of the beast (of the market which is automotive spares).

The average consumer can be roughly divided to 3 categories:

#1 - dont know anything, takes it to a shop for repairs and pays the bill

#2 - has some knowledge, does a bit of research and makes a judgement call (based on a lack of evidence)

#3 - expert knowledge and finds the best product at the best prices and usually DIY's or commissions someone else to fit.

the trademe market caters to category #2, we fall into #3. Also, I would most likely say that the vendor would be selling something lesser than OEM because if it is OEM, it is usually worth mentioning and demanding a higher price. OR it could just be marked up to OEM prices but be absolute trash made in a dump but as you say, we will never know and that is fine with me. I will just buy from a reputable store like FCP and the like and know what Im getting because I am part of the #3 gang.

Hey @qube, I've got four tyres for sale. They are 255/35/18 and brand new.  Is $1000 for all four a fair price?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

depends on the brand? u can buy new low budget brands for less than 1000 from a shop fitted, but if its michelin ps4s then it would be too cheap! :)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, qube said:

depends on the brand?

I think that was Nathan's point. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qube said:

depends on the brand? u can buy new low budget brands for less than 1000 from a shop fitted, but if its michelin ps4s then it would be too cheap! :)

Exactly.?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zero said:

Exactly.?

I should take you fishing.... your good with bait Nathan

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

ha ha very funny, but the argument still stands. The people who are in #1 will take their car to a tyre shop and get anything fitted at the shop's recommendation and price. #2 will shop around and #3 will look for the best performance/price and make an informed decision. 

if you listed your tyres on trademe with that kind of description then you can be sure that no one from #2 and #3 will be clicking buy now. but if you wait long enough you might hook someone from #1 and make a sale - which is what the OP is basically about at the end of the day - preying on ignorance.

Haha, I have also been blacklisted by the trader for simply and politely asking the brand.

Looking pretty dodgy to me.