Sign in to follow this  
jamesmcd

Anyone in Hamilton with decent ramps?

Long shot... Anyone in Hamilton have ramps that can take our fat tyres? I borrowed some from a mate but they're designed for 90s Japanese cars and my tyres overhang. Doing my intercooler! 

Go to a timber merchant and buy a length, or offcuts, of wide planking, and make your own. This has the added advantage that, if your car is particularly low, you can extend the initial part of the ramp much further.
Something like this (30 seconds with MS Paint!):

image.png.c72393ac64f4dddd9c30fc5ddd8c2183.png
Make sure the planks are secured together, with no sharp pointy bits anywhere that might make contact with you or tyres.

Edited by gjm

will available in 140,190,240 and 290 wide x 45 mm thick or 10 mm wider and 5 mm thicker if you buy rough sawn stuff

Alternatively, and avoiding the need to have long ramps stored away, get hold of 8 12"x12"x2" pieces of wood. Jack your car up, pop some of these under the wheel, and you're good to go. 

Just don't try to drive off them... 

Or just buy some big axle stands. You will use them many more times

9 hours ago, zero said:

Or just buy some big axle stands. You will use them many more times

Whilst I agree with this  answer, and I have axel stands...  I also have  a ramp which I made from materials from bunnings,  looks a lot like the drawings above... I had to put my 530i on the ramps before I could jack them up to put them on the  stand! For oil changes I just  used the ramp. For real work, I used the ramp then the stands. A reasonable compromise, which I was aiming towards before my car met it's untimely wall-death... was a small ramp to get on the jack stands. Yes, the simple version is two ramps! :)

• Like 3