Sign in to follow this  
qube

ex Aussie Stat Write Offs - consensus?

Given the classification of the damage listed I would not worry too much as long as you have it inspected and are happy with it. Do get it inspected though bro. You don't want to be sitting with a lemon. A lot of the japanese imports have had far worse treatment than the Australian write offs in my experience. The Australian Insurer's tend to write vehicles off with very minor damage and stuff that us in the industry can easily fix in NZ 

the car is out towards your way SJ so i might give you a bell (to your office phone) to make an appointment to bring it in :)

• Like 1

Why not just ask him via FB messenger? ??

do not do this

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, qube said:

interesting thing is the car actually has mechanical warranty also with Protecta insurance, im suprised they would insure/warrant a car with potentially dubious history.

In my experience, Protecta are terrible regards of the vehicles history

3 hours ago, qube said:

the car is out towards your way SJ so i might give you a bell (to your office phone) to make an appointment to bring it in :)

good man do that! 

On 12/4/2019 at 12:32 PM, qube said:

If you think about your own car, if you were involved in a minor accident and the insurance company wanted to write it off, wouldnt you want to buy it back and get it repaired (if feasible)? 

I agree if it was indeed a "major" repair, then I also believe there will be some compromise. But in this instance I am led to believe that the repair is most probably panel and paint - which I dont mind. I am just trying to figure out if this indeed the case BUT having difficulty to get this information.

Also, my biggest reason for considering said vehicle is not purely because of the money savings but because it is well spec'ed. I honestly hate some of the poor spec of the NZ new and japanese examples but I cant complain because Im not in a position to buy new and tick the boxes myself :)

I would take the money unless the car was really unusual or unique. 

I’ve always found most NZ and Japanese examples to be well spec’d but like everything, you have to pay for it - nothing is free!

I am interested to see how this turns out. Maybe I am just lazy but I don’t want this level up of complication with my cars. I want a warranty and I don’t want a hard time if I trade-in/sell when I’m finished with the vehicle. 

i think that it absolutey shamefull that the actual status of these cars is not a matter of public record.I was in the process of buying a nissan patrol when i found out it was an aussie write of.I couldnt find out its actual history just was assured it wasnt flood damage,but they wouldnt ot coudnt tell me what/why.

When these cars come in i reckon there should be complete record which a prospective purchaser(at any time in the life of the car) can access.And that should also be true of any vehicle wtitten off in NZ.

Went to see this car today but basically turned around straight away. Regardless of history it was rough as hell and just made me feel like it would be a dangerous purchase. 

kiwi535 - you can buy the report from aus for $2 to see what the write off was for. (See my first post). 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, qube said:

Went to see this car today but basically turned around straight away. Regardless of history it was rough as hell and just made me feel like it would be a dangerous purchase. 

kiwi535 - you can buy the report from aus for $2 to see what the write off was for. (See my first post). 

didnt know that ,however i think it should be completely transparent at all times what the issue is with these cars is/has been.For most people a car is a BIG purchase

7 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

i think that it absolutey shamefull that the actual status of these cars is not a matter of public record.I was in the process of buying a nissan patrol when i found out it was an aussie write of.I couldnt find out its actual history just was assured it wasnt flood damage,but they wouldnt ot coudnt tell me what/why.

When these cars come in i reckon there should be complete record which a prospective purchaser(at any time in the life of the car) can access.And that should also be true of any vehicle wtitten off in NZ.

Was that a white one a few months back?  We asked the guy multiple times for the engineers report and he refused to give it.  Was some wank just trying to sell it without disclosing it was a write off.  I informed him of his legal responsibility and that he would be liable for up to 7 years after the sale.  He blocked me.  Hope he gets sh*t on.

• Like 1

There was a Silver one recently too. Told it was the same guy. 

Found out of more information.

It was indeed stolen and recovered. Only thing "fixed" was 4 new (aftermarket) wheels and an alignment.

+1 @Driftit

• Like 1