Sign in to follow this  
jamzprime

BMW E90 sound from back wheels

Hi guys, about a month ago I got some 2nd hand m3 wheels for my BMW 325i e90. They're 18 inch, 8.5 in the front, and 9.5 in the back. Ever since I got them there has been a weird rotational sound coming from (I think) both of the back wheels. You can only really hear it going highway speeds when you're either passing a car or right up against a barrier. It gets louder the faster I go. It doesn't seem to happen straight away, you have to drive for 10-15mins for it to start happening. Also after driving for around 20mins the inside of the tyre (where its feathered the most) is warm to the touch compared to the rest of the wheel/

So far I've done some research and it could something with the brakes, but since it's both wheels I'm not sure it's that. The inside of both tyres are wearing quite a lot on the inside, and I had the right rear wheel brushing replaced last week. It may also be the dif?

Anyone one have any ideas of what it could be, I thought it might be the inside of the tyres rubbing since they're are a bit wider than the stock ones but I had a look and there seems to be a lot of clearance.

Here is a video of the sound going about 90km/h right next to a high barrier.

And here is a photo of the back left tyre. It looks like its feathered quite a bit in person, kinda hard to see in the photo.
https://ibb.co/Bzfgb5T

what is the offset of the wheels? is it the e90 m3 wheels? 

are the wheels straight and balanced?

did you do an alignment after fitting them?

whats the brand/condition of the tyres and what is the manufacture year on them?

Start with the basic questions above before moving onto other things, cuz next thing you know you've got cancer and will die in 3 months.

Hey, im not sure actually what the offset of the wheels are. All i know is they're genuine m3 wheels. When the wheels were installed i asked to get an alignment but the guy went for a drive and said that its fine and i should save my money. I haven't had them balanced or anything since i got them.

The tyres are Altenzo 255/35/18 on the back. The rest of the tyre is in really good condition. It's just the inside sidewall part where its worn down a lot. I'm not sure on the year of the tyre, will have to check that once i finish work. 

I just want a bit of a basic idea of what it could be, so i can go somewhere tomorrow to get it looked at without wasting a bunch of time. 

Edited by jamzprime

So i had a look at the tyres again. One of them was made in 2016 and the other 2015. So they are decently old. I also got some better photos of the inside of the wheel.

https://imgur.com/RKZeKnb

Edited by jamzprime

First off you need a proper tyre place.

Not balancing the wheels or doing an alignment is bad advice.

Somewhere like autolign will do a proper alignment.

Put your old wheels on the back and see if the noise is still there

12 minutes ago, zero said:

First off you need a proper tyre place.

Not balancing the wheels or doing an alignment is bad advice.

Somewhere like autolign will do a proper alignment.

Put your old wheels on the back and see if the noise is still there

I don't have any jack to do the wheels myself, so i'll go to autolign tomorrow and get them do either put the old ones on and see if the sound is still there, or just get an alignment and balance done and hope the sound goes away. 

Edited by jamzprime

You have a jack in your boot.

How else would you put on the spare tyre in the case of a puncture?

• Like 1

Just an update, I took it to a couple places and while the alignment is off, the sound was coming from a worn brake pad. So i'm getting the all of it done on monday. Also i just had a look in the boot and couldn't find anywhere a jack would be. Im pretty sure since its an e90 and they don't come with spare wheels they also don't have a jack. Unless the owner before me didn't leave it behind.

My 2008 e92 was factory fitted with runflats so no spare, jack.or wheelbrace. Had to hunt them down and chuck them in the boot as the car is running on standard tyres. Yours would most likely be the same.

A worn brake pad may make a noise but it would not account for unusual tyre wear. I'd be looking at things like rear camber and tyre pressure. Looks like your tyres have a bit of stretch so the pressure should be a few psi higher than standard. Low pressures would be working the sidewalls harder and if you are running negative camber that could be causing the inner to heat up and wear faster.

Cheers... jon dee

Edited by jon dee