Sign in to follow this  
coop

E34 540iS

Hi all. 

Does anyone know this car? 

Is this the one that has been 'rebodied'? 

No mention in the ad, and quite an important fact to omit if so... 

Thoughts on this cars value, considering the seller doesn't list a number to discuss. 

Also thoughts on the 540iS in general? 

Looks like a nice example, but not the best go at marketing a car with the half arsed photos in the listing. 

TIA.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2425951799.htm

• Like 1

One of the previous plates are of a forum member, I'm sure we can find some history.

Yeah i believe it was re bodied but i've seen it in the flesh a couple of times years ago and its very tidy. Its the brother of Simon's Techno Violet one which had done over 400,000 last time i saw it. 

I wager the reserve is in the 15k-20k region. One of the last truly reliable BMW's for sure.

the vin translates to a car of the same colour and spec..who says its been rebodied?

I maybe getting mixed up with another one he used to have (possibly black or blue) or someone elses.

4 hours ago, Eagle said:

Yeah i believe it was re bodied but i've seen it in the flesh a couple of times years ago and its very tidy. Its the brother of Simon's Techno Violet one which had done over 400,000 last time i saw it. 

I wager the reserve is in the 15k-20k region. One of the last truly reliable BMW's for sure.

Yeah definitely solid cars. 
Of the top of my head there is also a calypso red 540iS (or it may be silver) with well over 400k in NZ as well. 

After trawling through the net all evening I found this link. Raises more questions than it answers I think. 

• Like 1

So its not a real 540is then?

The seller is lying?

9 hours ago, zero said:

So its not a real 540is then?

The seller is lying?

Lying? Thats a bit strong isnt it,this is a public forum.Its not even clear you are talking about the OP car

as far as 540IS in general i would have one in a heaart beat if i had the room.I think the 540 is a better car than the 535 but the 535 is more fun.there is something about that big 6

11 hours ago, coop said:

Yeah definitely solid cars. 
Of the top of my head there is also a calypso red 540iS (or it may be silver) with well over 400k in NZ as well. 

After trawling through the net all evening I found this link. Raises more questions than it answers I think. 

Different car

1 hour ago, kiwi535 said:

Lying? Thats a bit strong isnt it,this is a public forum.Its not even clear you are talking about the OP car

Mate, I was just asking, not accusing.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

Different car

Copy that. 
Re reading again this morning, I missed that both trademe auctions list different colours, although the same seller. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

as far as 540IS in general i would have one in a heaart beat if i had the room.I think the 540 is a better car than the 535 but the 535 is more fun.there is something about that big 6

You saved yourself right there.  Haha.  535is has much more potential too.

Modifying is a huge different game but if they are both manual id take the 540i any day, much more power, nicer to rev out with a strong top end. I think they sound better, especially earlier dirty NZ new ones etc with no cat or o2 sensors with the imperfect idle. The E34 540i is the closest thing BMW ever made to a traditional American Muscle type car.

I have driven a few 540is’s over the years and I am a big fan. I owned a 535is too and I think the 540is does everything a bit better. If I had one like this I’d spruce up the suspension and freshen up the gearshift.

These look awesome in this colour.

Anyone recall the 15,000 km example in Hell red that came up for sale around 10 years ago. Anyone know what happened to that one? 

Ah yeah. See you guys are speaking road car stuff. I know nothing of it.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:33 PM, coop said:

Hi all. 

Does anyone know this car? 

Is this the one that has been 'rebodied'? 

No mention in the ad, and quite an important fact to omit if so... 

Thoughts on this cars value, considering the seller doesn't list a number to discuss. 

Also thoughts on the 540iS in general? 

Looks like a nice example, but not the best go at marketing a car with the half arsed photos in the listing. 

TIA.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2425951799.htm

I owned this about 12 years ago. Had it for 3 years then sold it to Ross @ BM Workshop. The present owner bought it off Ross. All BMW enthusiasts. Genuine unmolested example. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was bidding on that - can't say I was ever going to go to 50k.. Haha.

The dream of double purple in the garage is over.

Surely its one of those "sold outside of trademe" things where they bump the price up so it wont sell on that auction because they already sold it? No one is ever going to pay 50k for it!

• Like 1