Sign in to follow this  
coop

E34 540iS

I recall Ross selling this on tm way back, sure it was in the 25k-35k region then. I never saw big value in these myself, id rather covert an auto to spec which is very achievable and have practically the same car that cost half as much.

• Like 1

The vehicle he used as a recent sale comparison in his advert only sold for ~16k though.

• Like 3

Yeah that's around what i think they are worth and what market has appeared to value them at. Lower k's, colour and general condition may add some extra value but 50k is either a dream or as @KwS stated.

• Like 1

50k reserve??? I had a 540i Daytona Violet MSport 6speed manual, LSD etc that I bought for pennies. It wasnt a great example but jesus christ. 

Is there a such thing as an "IS" model in an e34 anyhow? Or is this just a nice way of saying MSport?

3 hours ago, Kodachrome said:

50k reserve??? I had a 540i Daytona Violet MSport 6speed manual, LSD etc that I bought for pennies. It wasnt a great example but jesus christ. 

Is there a such thing as an "IS" model in an e34 anyhow? Or is this just a nice way of saying MSport?

I can  find no reference to an "IS". 

Edited by Herbmiester

4 hours ago, Kodachrome said:

Just another way people in certain countries used to describe a certain specification car, same as saying 540i sport, mtech, msport, motorsport etc, most BMW enthusiasts tend to connect the dots.

Funnily enough ive never come across across 535is that had the thicker swaybars (M5) as standard. Would think the 540is would though.

540i M-sport / M540i / 540i LE[edit]

540i with "throwing star" wheels

Because the M5 was discontinued for non-European markets in 1993, the 540i M-Sport model was built in 1995 for the North American market.[28] On top of the regular 540i features, additional features included sports suspension equipped with EDC, bolstered sport seats, servotronic steering, and US-spec M5 brakes.[29] 205 "M-Sport" models were built, 139 of them with the 6-speed manual transmission.[28]

The M540i model was sold in Canada. It includes the features of the North American 540i M-sport, plus upgraded Euro-spec M5 brakes, 18-inch M-parallel wheels, and various trim pieces.[30] Only 32 of these cars were built, all with a manual transmission.[28]

The 540i LE (ie. Limited Edition) sedan was sold in Australia[31] and the United Kingdom.[32] The 540i LE included the interior from the M5, "throwing star" M-System II wheels, EDC suspension with self leveling rear, Servotronic power steering, and front air dam. 70 of these 540i LE sedans were produced, all with a manual transmission, each individually numbered and identified by an engraved metal plaque stuck onto the centre console beneath the handbrake lever.

Good old wikipedia, think 20(?) came here and I have seen a blue one with "is" on the badge.

For whatever reason, NZ never seemed to receive any 3.8 6 speed M5's new (correct me if I am wrong) with the wider kidney grill. What we got was a limited number of 540is's that were badged differently. Some had 540is on the back. Some simply had ///M.  There was one that floated around Auckland in the early 2000's that had the plate Blu M5. It had an extremely flamboyant after-market exhaust that ensured you heard it before you saw it. For whatever reason, the body-kit was different to the Aussie 540i LE - but their cars was spec'd slightly differently too. For those of you who were Bimmersporters - 10-15 years ago, there was one genuine Oz spec 540i LE in NZ  that happened to be owned by one of our Bimmersporters (was his username Cain???) and he anecdotally lost control of his of his vehicle  off an Auckland motorway off-ramp and killed his 540 (he was ok). I remember the parts from his car going into one of Ross Lamb's 'frankenstein' 540i's (I drove that car- alot of fun too).

In their day, they were a cool car. They looked like a M5, and performed almost like one. The interior design was lovely and they were (and still are) a fun drive. Ross also owned a mint 540is in Avus blau. Not sure what happened to that car.

As discussed previously, a 15,000 km example in hell red popped for sale around 10 years ago - the owner wanting some serious coin. That was stunning - unsure what happened to that one either.

Sadly like a lot of the history on here that has been lost by poor management. I do remember Cain.

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

old pic when we borrowed Cain's 540is , swapped cars for the weekend 

0795.JPG

• Like 2

It's back on a 45 day long auction.

I don't understand.

• Haha 2

I left my number in the previous auction and he never made contact. I was/am dead keen. 
Coupled with his poor photos, make me wonder what he is up to. 

Current auction he turns down an offer of $16k (although most likely another TM Q&A time waster). 
he refers to an auction of another 540is at $15k for market value. 

I have a huge soft spot for E34s but at around $20k or more I’d be leaning towards the four door E36 M3 in the Hawkes Bay. 

• Like 1

I'm super keen on it too but most certainly won't be nearing 20k from me. 

E36 M3s are better choice, just saying.. ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Camu said:

It's back on a 45 day long auction.

I don't understand.

He's tentative at times, judging from past auctions and my own experience.   

On 12/18/2019 at 2:03 PM, coop said:

Current auction he turns down an offer of $16k (although most likely another TM Q&A time waster). 

Genuine offer 

So again it was passed in at $16k. It would seem even after 45 days that is what the market says its worth.

I also think people just got tired of his antics.

I lost interest in it as soon as it was relisted for a month and a half.

• Like 1

Been relisted with a 19k buy now 

That's odd, I'm sure it was 18k when It was first relisted. Must have changed his mind, supposedly this could be the last relist.

1 hour ago, TLH said:

That's odd, I'm sure it was 18k when It was first relisted. Must have changed his mind, supposedly this could be the last relist.

Yes was 18k initially, seller is covinced his car is worth more than the market is offering. Was tempted at 18k but this type of behavior on top of the 45 day list time just pisses me off.

• Like 2