Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

M52 Block and stripped threads

As I will be going down this path soon I have been following this video build. He strips the threads when torquing the head bolts. What went wrong here?

Get some studs from Evan at speedfactor. 

Plan B amazon sells timeserts 

Plan C amazon sells even longer timeserts

Good luck

Edited by thorburn
Edit: timesert - not helicoil as per pointed out below
  • Like 1

Hardness check the block first and use timeserts only.

This VID is definitely DIY. I saw so much being done wrong in this video. Not a very good example to follow.

• Like 2

You can also get thicker bolts and a jig to re-thread the holes bigger. 

I could be wrong, and maybe Glenn could correct me, but I think the way it is done is they pressure test it with a florescent dye and inspect with a special light, so any cracks will show up.

Most suppliers send m50 bolts, which are shorted than m52 requires

The threads must be perfectly clean and use ARP fastener lubricant. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thorburn said:

Is there a spec that the block is supposed to meet for hardness? 

Yes there is

15 hours ago, zero said:

I could be wrong, and maybe Glenn could correct me, but I think the way it is done is they pressure test it with a florescent dye and inspect with a special light, so any cracks will show up.

That's crack testing procedure Nathan not a hardness checking procedure

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

So looking at this if I am going to us the M52 block then I should consider, timeserts and studs as basic insurance, and get the block crack tested. So if thats what needs to be done then its no home jobby for me soulds like I am best sending to my local engine re conditioner.

Feel free to give me a call John or PM me with your mobile and I'll ring you

6 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

So looking at this if I am going to us the M52 block then I should consider, timeserts and studs as basic insurance, and get the block crack tested. So if thats what needs to be done then its no home jobby for me soulds like I am best sending to my local engine re conditioner.

John, as we discussed, there are videos out there showing imperically that helicoils work far better than timeserts, are cheaper and easier to install. Have a watch of the half hour video I posted in another thread (yeah sorry, it's not a 5 minute job but the guy does a good job explaining what he's doing and why), helicoils FTW every time. Given you now know my history, I have always used, and will always use, helicoils and this video shows why. I've never, ever had a helicoil fail, pull out, or be hard to install.

Do some research into the two, helicoils will give you rated pull out strengths etc. etc. Timeserts just tell you "well they should be strong enough" - they don't actually give out any figures that they will stand by. Also, note in the linked thread, Glenn @B.M.W Ltd states very clearly "Just a heads up...if you don't insert them accurately the block will be ruined. The head bolts will pull them out. Most motor re conditioners have their own special set ups to do these accurately and even they can get it wrong... ask me how I know", just another precaution.......

As I discussed with you on Wednesday night, do a lot of research before doing anything like this, everyone has opinions based on their experience, some advice given is great, some just needs to be taken with a grain of salt as that person's experience. Either way, helicoil or timesert, there is a chance the block can be damaged.

Again though, this is just my opinion, and, like Glenn, more than happy to give you a call whenever suits you to discuss before you decide which way to go.

• Like 2

If you are going to the trouble of helicoils or timeserts why not just go to a 12mm stud instead? Then you can run a coarse thread like the alloy wants and go to a decent depth. 

Helicoil vs timesert is a heck of an argument. One issue I take with timeserts is the ridiculous stress risers everywhere being a cut thread. 

The second issue is the relatively low area involved in both of them. It's not much extra effort to run a 12mm stud 

• Like 1

This ^^^^^^

Go with the bigger stud if you are going to this much hassle

• Like 1

Technique and the right tools is key.  I find if you carefully ballance a cold chisel on top of the helicoil- don't use a jig, it will compress and pull out later- you can use a club hammer to tap it in.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1