Sign in to follow this  
Matth5

E series N55 engine and cooling system parts

Completely cooked my engine on track, it seized up, likely from oil sloshing around on the corners and running metal-on-metal ?
Plastic cooling system parts are probably all stuffed too, at least some hoses look discoloured. 
So anyone with a wreck that has what I need, please let me know. 

Car is a 2010 E92 335i with an N55. Located in Christchurch. 

Alternatively if you want to buy a heavily modified E92 335i with a stuffed engine, I might consider a reasonable offer. But probably not :)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Matth5 said:

Completely cooked my engine on track, it seized up, likely from oil sloshing around on the corners and running metal-on-metal ?
Plastic cooling system parts are probably all stuffed too, at least some hoses look discoloured. 
So anyone with a wreck that has what I need, please let me know. 

Car is a 2010 E92 335i with an N55. Located in Christchurch. 

Alternatively if you want to buy a heavily modified E92 335i with a stuffed engine, I might consider a reasonable offer. But probably not :)

Oh man sorry to hear.. Really hope it all works out for you.

If you do decide to part out some of the performance parts however... Let me know ?

Well I did have a hell of a fun time until it died. Seems the N55 really needs some extra oil pan baffling, some oiling upgrades like an Accusump are probably a good idea too.
I killed my engine with maybe 25 minutes of track time. Coil-overs, M3 control arms, track pads, meant it was handling great and it gripped incredibly well. I thought with street tyres I wouldn't build up enough G-forces to cause oil pressure issues but it seems like I did. 

Session 1 was great., session 2 it overheated towards the end and went into limp mode so I pulled out early.
Session 3, it was overheating much faster, and under acceleration it sounded like a helicopter was hovering above me. There was no helicopter, so I think that was engine knock. As I slowed to a stop the engine shut off. 
Towed it to a workshop and they found the crank would not budge at all. Oil smelled bad and looked dodgy, like it had boiled, coolant pipes had turned white... not a pretty sight! Engine is toast!

Thinking I might get some work done on the replacement engine so that it can actually handle the track. The car was just too much damn fun, it was amazing on the track, never thought it would corner so well!  Even when it was sliding it was so controllable. 
This will certainly hurt the bank balance though ?

• Sad 1

its actually pretty crazy. did you check oil levels beforehand? these new engines all tend to burn quite a bit of oil as they run very hot. my old m135 with the N55 used to run at a constant 117-119 degs normal running. i cant imagine what it would be like on the track going hard out.

what oil were you running also and how recent was your oil change?

Hate to say I didn't check on the day. I have been checking it regularly and it has not dipped below full at all, so I had no reason to believe it dipped today. The workshop did drain about 5.7l out I think (full should be 6.5), so I'm not sure if it just burned some oil while the engine was destroying itself or what. 
This car has been driven hard on a regular basis with a fair bit of hard braking on quiet roads and the odd cheeky slide, and one track session a few years ago, so maybe I wore down the rod bearings or something beforehand. 

https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/addressing-n5x-oiling-and-spun-rod-bearings-accusump-installed.4034/?fbclid=IwAR0cfxGB-jSgSKMNm4m3l69bKh2-3RgCXZCLYq8Is_PFgwLogljZFZMS7Sw
Seems like this thread has some good advice that should be taken before tracking an N54 or N55. 

Oil was that Castrol stuff the dealer uses I think, BM Workshop did the last oil change and I think that's what they were using at the time. At most about 3000km old.

Edited by Matth5

Looks like I'm sorted for an engine and some other parts from Brent/BMWorld :)

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 4

Good news, let us know what mods you do to stop it happening again.