M3AN

My Fun 130i (E87 LCI Motorsport Auto)

This one's not a project so it lands in the showroom. Although I do have some small projects on the way.

For those that don't know I've been casually looking for a 130i for a few months, I say casually but I have put a fair bit of time and effort into checking around 7 out. Including putting 5 up on stands and taking the under-cover off. None were ideal, all were filthy underneath, only a couple were briefly tempting. I was disillusioned tbh.

I was one of the first people to view this one (mine now) at a dealership and liked it immediately, interior 8/10, exterior 7/10, mechanical 9/10, extras 10/10 - all based on my scale of needs. Drove it home to look underneath and there was almost no oil so I did a deal for $8.5k including 12 months of AutoSure which I was very happy with. I've looked at $11k cars that are in way worse condition than this one. Been in NZ since mid '16 and has ~$3k NZ receipts in the glovebox. It's been covered by mechanical insurance since arriving in NZ and has had all the top end and vanos gaskets done recently with BMW parts. It's had the oil and filter replaced every year with great synth since it's been in NZ... 😍

It has an aftermarket stainless exhaust and coilover suspension which, amazingly, has been LVV certified in NZ! The springs are Eibach and the exhaust and shocks are from a bespoke Japanese tuning house 'Orange Wolf' - try finding that sh*t on Google! I had to search in Japanese to find them. The suspension and exhaust were installed in Japan, suspension obviously not detected upon import seems to have been cert'd before the first non-dealer NZ owner.

Edit: also has an LSD... 🤯

I like both the exhaust and the suspension, it's got a real bark without drone (unless you hold it at revs too low) and handles like it's on rails. Some wouldn't like the exhaust for a daily but I don't mind it. It drives and feels way, way more stable at speed than the stock suspension yet doesn't bang and rattle around at all. Totally stoked. And it does a rev-blip in sport mode on the downshift, lovin' it 😂 (however pointless that might be in an auto).

The wheels have been cheaply painted (whilst on the car! 🤨🙄) but that doesn't concern me at all and the body has a few scrapes and proper sun fade on the bonnet and roof but I'm okay with that too. The front bumper has had a poor respray but in the end it was all these (aesthetic) factors that I was looking for to drag the price down. Perfect. It is my new daily (leave anywhere) car after all. I'll have to replace the aftermarket (real) carbon fibre front kidneys because (unfortunately) they look like crap after too much sun. 

TL;DR - New car, very happy.

Picked it up today, hope to wash it and take some proper pics tomorrow. December 2019...

LHS_RQ.jpg.7e7287f9661ef797f586abd29ebef888.jpg

June 2020...

LED_Fog_2.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and it has a "BMW Performance" shifter and boot, I didn't notice that on others, is it standard on any spec?

BMW_Performance_Auto_Shifter_01.jpg

BMW_Performance_Auto_Shifter_02.jpg

Edited by M3AN

Orange Wolf 130i exhaust...

Exhaust03.jpg

Exhaust05.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Cert...

LVV_Cert.jpg

Edited by M3AN

Score!

"Casually looking"  is the new Tui billboard ?, top marks on self-depracating humour.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, M3AN said:

Oh, and it has a "BMW Performance" shifter and boot, I didn't notice that on others, is it standard on any spec?

BMW_Performance_Auto_Shifter_01.jpg

BMW_Performance_Auto_Shifter_02.jpg

Nice, way faster gear changes :D

I dont think any of the "performance" bits were factory options, all dealer stuff. The only real spec other than base/sport and  Msport was a Europe only LE, which is E81 130 with bmw performance wheels, cool lemon yellow leather, carbon black paint and silver line trim. 

• Like 1

Nice work Dave, got there in the end. Looks a real find especially at the price 

• Like 2

well done at one time i thought we had lost you to some other manufacturer

• Haha 1

lol this thing is fun, even the auto box is a delight in sport mode. The car is way quicker than I imagined it would be and it has hydraulic rather than electric power steering, bonus. The seats and suspension probably feel better than my M3. ?

I played with all the settings that mapped across from my '08 coupe manual and have set it up how I like. Tilt might need some inspection on the driver's seat, it clicks but then does nothing but the current position is okay for now. It has privacy glass too.

I'm impressed that the radio preset buttons are capacitive touch buttons as well as proper buttons, that's cool. Not enough pockets and no coin storage, that's a bummer. I could use the cup holder for coins but it's not ideal and there seems to be no OEM solution.

I washed it by hand today and exposed all the imperfections and there are many. Looks great from a few metres out but not so good on close inspection. I knew this going in though and I'm not at all concerned with what I see. I'll probably pay for a good cut and polish in due course and see where we go from there.

More pics...

Outside01%20(800x600).jpg

Outside02%20(800x600).jpg

Outside03%20(800x600).jpg

Outside04%20(800x600).jpg

EngineBay%20(800x600).jpg

These must go...

CFGrills%20(800x600).jpg

These can stay...

Exhaust%20(800x600).jpg

Inside%20(800x600).jpg

100% happy so far.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 6

Looks like a great score, should be heaps of fun. 

That looks like it has the standard hydraulic steering rather than active though? 

Looks like a standard reservoir so i would think its std hydraulic also. Why would you want anything else on one of these.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Navin said:

That looks like it has the standard hydraulic steering rather than active though? 

Probably is standard...

12 hours ago, Eagle said:

Looks like a standard reservoir so i would think its std hydraulic also. Why would you want anything else on one of these.

...I was making an incorrect connection between an electrically operated PS pump and active steering, I thought they were one in the same, my bad. I don't have active steering so perhaps that's why I like it! ?

This is an absolute score for the spec/options/price. Super well done i am jealous!

• Like 1

Cheers Kyu, I'm pretty stoked actually, I didn't expect to like it as much as I do but it's very, very good. I'm stunned at how good the auto box is... and just how rapid the car actually is.

The photos don't tell the story of the paint but the price does, it's a long way from perfect upon close inspection. I think I'll get a proper cut and polish and then assess what to do. But I went in knowing this and it doesn't concern me, I can't see the paint when I'm driving it!

For a net ~$5k it's a pretty big upgrade from the 328!

Edited by M3AN

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

For a net ~$5k it's a pretty big upgrade from the 328!

When you put it that way, its a stupid amount of car for the money. Not much beats it for value.

• Like 2

This arrived pretty quickly and no GST... although it was marked at US$98 so any GST would have been small. Via DHL.

Avin_Boxed%20(800x600).jpg

The quality looks fine, the cables and adaptors seem strong and there's lots of them... no installation instructions. ??

Project for after Christmas day whilst listening to the cricket.

Avin_Unboxed%20(800x600).jpg

Were you driving through Maramarua this afternoon?

47 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Were you driving through Maramarua this afternoon?

No, ensconced at the family house on the North Shore. Very full and very content. ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, M3AN said:

No, ensconced at the family house on the North Shore. Very full and very content. ?

Your car has a clone, with a decent sounding exhaust note as well ;)

• Like 1

Awesome car, I love them. Some nice upgrades too!

I’d be interested in the kidneys if you’re getting rid of them, my new 130i ? desperately needs its ones replaced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Awesome car, I love them. Some nice upgrades too!

I’d be interested in the kidneys if you’re getting rid of them, my new 130i ? desperately needs its ones replaced.

I've ordered some black ones, they'll be here in the new year. I haven't decided what to do with the carbon fibre ones but sure, if I'm going to discard them I'll tap you on the shoulder so-to-speak. ?

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

I've ordered some black ones, they'll be here in the new year. I haven't decided what to do with the carbon fibre ones but sure, if I'm going to discard them I'll tap you on the shoulder so-to-speak. ?

Sweet. I'd be happy to buy if they're going cheap too, just anything would be better than the black painted ones on there atm ?

On 12/24/2019 at 12:14 PM, M3AN said:

Project for after Christmas day whilst listening to the cricket.

What system is this and how did installation go?

Nice looking ride btw!

50 minutes ago, Cale said:

What system is this and how did installation go?

Nice looking ride btw!

Thanks. ?

It's an Avin USA 10.25" system... installation was a bitch, two afternoons... but I sort-of expected that. Disassembling, and then reassembling the dash and glovebox took most of that time.

First impressions soon.

I'm pretty impressed with the load space too. Even though it's marginally smaller than my e36(s) it's actually possible to get 5 wheels with mounted tyres in easy, space to spare. That's a nightmare in the coupes without using the passenger seat and even then still a PITA!

Took it out to some semi-rural roads for a spirited drive today and enjoyed every moment of it. I need proper paddle shifters and I can't just reprogramme my brain to adapt to these crazy ones. At the moment I'll do something stupid if I reach for them in a pinch.