Edited by M3AN
sp

38 minutes ago, M3AN said:

As you wish.

I wan't conventional paddle shifters.

Funny, because my F30 has them with one + and one -  

They worked it out eventually. 

• Like 1

Yeah, and most cars with paddles, ever. It's not even worth debating.

Have both and it really makes no difference. Having +/- on the same paddle let’s you drive in latte/makeup touch up mode which is probably the reason they did it. 

Edited by str8_6

43 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

There's a mod out there for 130i paddleshifters. I've seen it online, don't know if it's hardware or just software. 

Yeah, I've seen that (although can't find it immediately) but I've got something else up my sleeve to see how it turns out before I try that.

Welcome to the 130 fanboi club :D 

My wife used to have a new Dmax, 130 with the seats down has bigger load area...

Edited by Jacko

8 hours ago, str8_6 said:

Have both and it really makes no difference. Having +/- on the same paddle let’s you drive in latte/makeup touch up mode which is probably the reason they did it. 

Why would you be trying to paddle-shift in either of those scenarios?!

I wonder if the newer 135i paddles are a direct swap with yours.. I'll be upgrading to f80 paddles shortly so might be an option for you? 

IMG_20191229_102511.jpg

• Like 1

I don't think the 335i ones work, apparently you need the M3 ones... and the M3 ones don't work in the 335i. It would be great if they were all plug and play, they have such similar functions.

Edited by M3AN

5 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I don't think the 335i ones work, apparently you need the M3 ones... and the M3 ones don't work in the 335i. I would be great if they were all plug and play, they have such similar functions.

Well that's just bizzare! 

14 hours ago, str8_6 said:

You get used to the +/- on the same side, I actually ended up really liking it and now dislike having it only on each side.

Frivolous for sure... but hey, it's the festive season...

FUNWON%20(800x600).jpg 

And yes, I'm sure 99% of people will ask if I "won" it...

• Like 4

On 12/28/2019 at 9:26 PM, NZ BMW said:

Funny, because my F30 has them with one + and one -  

They worked it out eventually. 

Eventually?  My 07 M5 has them, they cocked it up then un cocked it!

Dont care about the +/- on both sides vs separate.  The big mistake is they are wheel mounted.  Column mounted is 100x better.

More observations;

• The rear plate and puddle lights (door handles) are LED's, I don't think they came like that (in 2008 anyway).
  • Angel eyes have been upgraded to (very bright) white LED's also, looks heaps better than stock.
  • Interior LED lighting set is on the way from eBay so everything matches.
  • The stubby aerial is actually aftermarket and has a carbon fibre tube... looks naff up close, will replace with stock.

A few hundred km's over the last few days and I'm still smitten, everyone should own one of these at least once.

Some comments on the Avin once I've recovered from NYE...

Avin_Install_01.jpg

Avin_Install_02.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 3

Avin USA 10.25" Android Display

It's been an interesting experience, initially I was not really impressed, even disappointed however that impression is slowly improving.

The install was simple enough after disassembling the dash. You'll need a cutting tool (e.g. Dremel) to do the dash, the knife they provided is entirely inadequate. I needed to cut out ~2 cm2 of hard plastic. It squeaks but I think I've isolated that to the actual screen/cradle interface (hard plastic on hard plastic) and have a potential fix in mind.

There are no instructions and the supplied kit apparently changes/updates regularly so you might get bits and connections you don't expect, and you might also get parts you don't need to use. I got both. There are no instructions, expect to have to work it out yourself.

Their support is (so far) exceptional. I've been in email communication since Christmas and have had all replies within 24h and some within minutes. Mostly the support has been helpful and accurate.

I've needed to trim a plastic plug (easy enough) and they sent me a 2GB unit instead of a 4GB unit... they've offered to replace it, let's see how that goes.

The screen is exceptional, really, really good. It's clear, bright and responsive, I'm impressed and I didn't think I would be. Startup is fast enough (<20s) and you can have it start instantly in 'original car mode' whilst Android loads in the background if you prefer. The OS/Launcher experience is fine, there are a few good skins and getting to Android apps is simple enough. It comes with the Play Store etc, you just need to log in. It has a default digital dashboard which is pretty but it adds no real value.

I can connect to the home WiFi and download offline Google maps and with these, navigation is a dream on this widescreen. Mine came with an external speaker (not pictured/mentioned on their site) that outputs navigation instructions so the main speakers maintain their feed. Initially this didn't work for me but now it does... ? ...it creates terrible static on AM radio though (Radio Sport) when it speaks. You can choose your own navigation app.

Bluetooth is less impressive... the connection seems flaky and there's an intolerable amount of lag - to the point where you believe the command hasn't gone through. This could be a firmware or memory problem so I'll reserve judgement but I certainly can't rely on it for calls atm so I don't connect it.

The default apps are fine but with them alone I doubt I'd get enough value out of the screen and that's where the Android market comes in. I grabbed a terminal emulator first for reboots because for the life of me I couldn't/can't find a reboot option. I got the WiFi adaptor for the Torque app and set up a default set of gauges for that. I can see more potential in more market apps.

Avin_UI_01.jpg

Avin_UI_03.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 4

It appears as if the angel eyes have these in them based on bulb markings: https://www.luxangeleyes.com/products/lux-h8-189

Which is good, they're unlikely to start a fire. Cree panels to boot. They're very, very bright (edit: I can't take a pic from front on).

When you unlock the car at night, with the lights on auto, it looks like a cruise ship at party stations on a dark ocean.

How to address the crazing on the lenses? Is that on the inside or out?

LED puddle lights alone are quite nice, lights on manual...

Lights_Puddle.jpg

Lights on auto ?...

Lights_All.jpg

Crazy ? LED's...

Lights_LED_AE.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mate has one of these and an e36 m3 as well.   We both love it - such a weapon on NZ roads and a great daily.   Just been booting around Coromandel in it and it is perfect for NZ B roads.   It just puts a smile on your dial.   Crazy value.   Look forward to hearing yours with that fancy exhaust.

• Like 1

Sorted the electric tilt and lift on the driver's seat today, that was a bit of a mission.

It didn't take me long to get the seat out but I spent about 2 hours trying to disassemble it until I worked out that I could use an e9x seat DIY (couldn't find a suitable one for the e8x). Then 30 mins later I was into it. Lucky I had cricket to listen to.

It turns out that some tiny and weak contacts had folded back under themselves and weren't touching the required electrical contacts. I carefully bent them back out and down so they'd provide positive pressure... couldn't test until the seat was mostly reassembled and back in, so fingers crossed. It worked! I promptly set the seat and the memory so I don't need to dick around with that switch too often, I'm pretty sure they'll fold back under again if it's used much. If it does die again at least I know what module to replace.

Seat_Fix.jpg

53 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Chassis reinforcements...

LSD?? Or just tight open? Going to have to do a skid to check the 11's!

There is normally an aluminium plate there stock for the chassis reinforcement, just doenst look like that.  http://cpmtech.jp/

Someone get some free goodies?!

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jacko said:

LSD?? Or just tight open? Going to have to do a skid to check the 11's!

There is normally an aluminium plate there stock for the chassis reinforcement, just doenst look like that.  http://cpmtech.jp/

Someone get some free goodies?!

At this stage I'm suspecting an LSD because the diff housing is an E87 120d housing (based on part numbers) and there's no tag anywhere so it looks rebuilt. And an LSD seems consistent with the other mods. I don't know how to do 1/11's in an auto! ? Will have to YouTube it. ?

Wow that CPM bit is an expensive bit of aluminium!

Hey, is this picture of yours of the stock exhaust? I'm trying to work out which sections on mine are aftermarket...

29749626_10155091250282693_8085392053999202800_o.jpg