M3AN

My Fun 130i (E87 LCI Motorsport Auto)

On 1/15/2020 at 3:36 PM, NZ_InFerno said:

I was under my new 130i looking around today, and have the same number on the casing 7518405. 

Well that's good to know... do let me know if you can find it on RealOEM or similar site... I could not... and web results from random pages suggested 120d (although I had a low level of confidence in that info).

On 1/15/2020 at 3:39 PM, B.M.W Ltd said:

Try spinning the rear wheels with the vehicle in park. If it doesn't turn it will be LSD. If the wheels spin in opposite directions. it's an open diff

The wheels spin in the same direction when they're both unloaded (rear in the air) handbrake off and car in neutral - video on prior page. Are you suggesting I [need to] do it in park as well? 

Edited by M3AN

You must check it in Park... the correct way to check for an LSD. Not Neutral. In a manual you leave it in gear.

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, qube said:

one of the cars I regretted selling was the 130i. its everything that the 3 series NA wasnt/couldnt be and more. its the spiritual successor to the old E46 330ci in my mind.

It was way more enjoyable to drive than the N54 in the 135i and 335i because you can rev it all the way out to redline and not be going crazy speeds.

First time I drove mine, 5 years ago now, first thought was - This is a "modern" E30 325, feels really similar. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, M3AN said:

My preference is Bilstein + Eibach because the two companies work so closely together and their B12 kit's aren't just mix and match, they're made for the specific vehicle they're intended for. Not sure on price but if I ever need to replace my suspension it's likely to be with the B12 kit (I don't need coilovers).

B12 kit made a huge difference to my E36. Before with the standard spring/shock grip wasn't good in corners with lots of bumps. Now you feel them but the car doesn't move off line at all. It's even softer to small bumps. The handling has been massively improved and it feels like it will never let go. I suspect the B12 kit would be at least as good and maybe better for the E87.

• Like 1

The aerial that came off, worked perfectly, looked tatty...

Aerial_Old.jpg

BMW "sport" replacement, longer but tidier...

Aerial_New.jpg

I also replaced the tired looking kidney grills, they look worse in person than the photos (much like the rest of the car actually). And too yellow.

Kidney_Carbon.jpg

With these matte black ones which fit perfectly and I think look great...

Kidney_Matte.jpg

Seems I need to adjust my bonnet a little. ?

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 3

BMW Performance Alcantara steering wheel insert... and look closely...

Alcantara_Wheel.jpg

...because proper conventional paddle shifters...

Proper_Paddles.jpg

And they work as expected, total WIN! ??

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 6

This thing just keeps getting better, and my smile wider. The pretty slick auto with these paddles seems to me to be the best of both worlds, with a bit of imagination it's both an auto and a manual, a poor man's SMG if you like.

The new shifters are from https://www.nelsonracingwheel.com/ and I had to take a bit of a punt as they never got the e87 or the 130 in the US so compatibility was a risk. In the end I opted for the "pre-LCI" ones for my LCI and they proved to be the correct ones. You disassemble the existing paddles, swap in some new framework and attach the actual aluminium paddles - all of the original BMW electrics and micro stitches are reused. Then you swap the down (push) wire on the left and paddle into the up (pull) terminal and voila right is pull up, left is pull down and you can't press either paddle. Took me about 40 minutes. The action is firm and has a satisfying dull 'click', the aluminium paddles both look and feel great, I couldn't be happier.

They felt immediately intuitive to me, I'm already comfortable reaching for them with opposite hands if I'm turning the wheel a lot.

New lock nut set from @Lewis91 turned up in less than 24h, how sweet is that?

A few more small things still on the way, it's working out well for me so far.

Edit: oh and bonus, any BMW or aftermarket DCT shift paddles will work with these new switches, pull existing ones off, slide new ones on, 60 seconds.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 3

Okay, so I got back to the diff...

On 1/15/2020 at 3:39 PM, B.M.W Ltd said:

Try spinning the rear wheels with the vehicle in park. If it doesn't turn it will be LSD. If the wheels spin in opposite directions. it's an open diff

In park, both rear wheels in the air and handbrake off, can't turn the wheels by hand. Thanks for the advice on that test Glenn.

And for further confirmation: https://itstillruns.com/identify-limited-slip-differential-7805308.html

In neutral both wheels spin in the same direction.

Conclusive? If not, the fact that I've never seen the DCT light blink surely adds weight, I'm not driving like a nanny.

Now, what ratio? Could well be stock but I just don't know.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 4

Changed all the interior lights (except for the ambient lights) to LED's for a fresher look although it took me 90 mins thanks to German (over)engineering...

• Both centre lights
  • All four reading lights
  • Footwell lights
  • Glovebox light
  • Boot light

I'm happy with the result.

LED_Lights.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 10:25 PM, Jacko said:

130 auto diff is 3.46:1 (manual is 3.64)

3.73 is what all the cool kids hunt for.

Back to this, since I buried my head in diff info today.

It's actually the other way around according to a few sources inc. RealOEM - manual is 3.46 and auto is 3.64. So you need to find an auto diff to pull apart and steal the CW&P Chris!

IMHO and assuming mine is stock (3.64) then 3.73 would be just silly.

• Like 1

Ahh, I got the numbers all ass about face.

3.64-3.73 probably wouldnt be too noticeable, 3.46-3.73 would be!

Its not quite as simple as straight swaps, some of them use 3 lug inputs, some use 4, and it seems vary between year and auto/manual. 

Have you worked out whats inside the diff? Even taking the fill plug out and poking cell phone camera in it may tell if its clutch based, or quaife, or something else. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Have you worked out whats inside the diff? Even taking the fill plug out and poking cell phone camera in it may tell if its clutch based, or quaife, or something else. 

No... I wonder if there's an endoscope in the 'tools for hire' thread... I'm hoping KBM (Kayne Barrie) will be doing my M3 diff (3.64) in March, I'll have a chat with him, he may even be willing to poke around and provide an opinion.

Edited by M3AN

8 hours ago, M3AN said:

No... I wonder if there's an endoscope in the 'tools for hire' thread... I'm hoping KBM (Kayne Barrie) will be doing my M3 diff (3.64) in March, I'll have a chat with him, he may even be willing to poke around and provide an opinion.

I've got one if you want me to bring it to the next meet.

• Thanks 1

The fill plug is pretty big, i'd be surprised if you couldn't see in there with just a torch and your eyes.

On 1/22/2020 at 5:30 AM, aja540i said:

I've got one if you want me to bring it to the next meet.

If you could, cheers sir.

On 1/22/2020 at 6:29 AM, KwS said:

The fill plug is pretty big, i'd be surprised if you couldn't see in there with just a torch and your eyes.

I was just wondering about head space... could I get my eye close enough? I might have a look over the long weekend.

Edited by M3AN

So this arrived today, an OEM storage pocket to replace the front ashtray because these things have poor (accessible) storage compared to an e36 which is what I'm used to.

Storage_Tray.jpg

About 2 hours after ordering it I found out that you can actually use an e9x compartment and keep the ashtray cover. I think that would look better but may compromise the capacity. I'll probably install this one and see how I feel before committing to more money.

Because I'm replacing the ashtray it does mean I can try and install lighting and a USB power socket in the tray pictured... a project for the long weekend perhaps...

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

That's great, where'd you get that storage tray? I'm wanting to try retrofit a wireless charging pad into one

4 minutes ago, Navin said:

That's great, where'd you get that storage tray? I'm wanting to try retrofit a wireless charging pad into one

BMW - #51167136190 (single part comes with the rubber mat, you don't need to get that separately).

I shopped around a bit and ended up getting mine from eBay with free shipping, arrived in about 12 days.

Black LED side markers with progressive activation (the LED's light up in order like a flash new car). For some reason I'm not 100% sold but the stock ones that came off were in pretty bad shape so these will stay for a while.

Clay bar, cut, polish, and ceramic nano coating ($79) booked in for Wed next week, will be interesting to see how she turns out.

Side_Markers_LED_new.jpg 

Only a few more packages to arrive before I can have a rest... ?

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Mods - can we move this to the projects section please.

...Told you so

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Swapped the 2GB Avin unit out for the 4GB unit today... nothing really worth showing because it looks the same. I did take the opportunity to add some thin rubber tape in strategic places in the hope of eliminating (or at least reducing) the squeaks. 

They threw in an external microphone for the inconvenience and it's got 64GB of internal memory instead of 32GB but it was still a PITA to have to go though the process. And now I have to return a massive box to China... ?

Centre console needs to come out tomorrow or Monday so I can install the storage tray that arrived the other day, typical of BMW it's not an easy swap. 

The black side markers are growing on me.

• Like 1

I'm happy to report that the new Android unit is far superior to the last. It has the 4/64GB as described above but also had a later build number by a whole version (2.x -> 3.x), although both are Android 9. The new version comes with only one skin verses the previous five but it's the most modern one and default on the previous unit.

• Bluetooth works really well, the connection is quick and stable, it seems I can use it for calls now 
  • Some quirks with the iDrive controller seem to have been addressed
  • They threw in an external mic for my trouble and it's so much better than the internal one, highly recommended
  • As a result of the ext. mic calls and Google Now (voice assist) have worked flawlessly so far
  • The Avin WiFi adaptor works fine with Torque but not Carly (I didn't expect it to but it was worth trying)
  • The splash screen has changed from "BMW Connected Drive" to "AVIN" and I need to explore how to change this
  • Device is pre-rooted ($ prompt) which is ideal for me

Physically it's the same unit and I just swapped over the base and screen rather than pulling the existing cables, except for adding the mic, which was easily accommodated between the unit and the instrument binnacle. 

My original box said 4/64GB and the unit said 2/32GB (which I didn't look for until I suspected something was wrong), this box says 4/64GB as does the label on the unit and the info screens.

Having played around with it for an hour or so I'm much happier now than I was a few days ago, it pretty much works as I hoped it might. The one thing that it doesn't do elegantly is radio. It relies on the OEM radio unit (accepted) and as a result there's no real integration and when listening to the radio Android nav (audio) and phone don't work so well.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1