M3AN

My Fun 130i (E87 LCI Motorsport Auto)

On 3/21/2020 at 8:19 PM, M3AN said:

Frivolous, but when Auckland City BMW are selling something for an almost normal price, without the BMW NZ 400% markup, you almost have to do it. I wonder if they parallel imported them?

They're a bit Rolls Royce, I quite like them.

Floating_Caps.jpg

5900 posts! ? 99% BS, 1% plain wrong. ?

What are these worth, if you don’t mind me asking?

32 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

What are these worth, if you don’t mind me asking?

NP. I paid $142 and I picked them up.

I replaced the "fuel filler pot" today to fix the busted hinge (common problem). It wasn't too hard following a DIY but there are some stages that require a lot of force. All good now although it does close with a ferocious snap!  

A little bit more faux Alcantara... quite good I think and now matches the rest.

Alcantara_iDrive_01.jpg

Alcantara_iDrive_02.jpg

Alcantara_iDrive_03.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 7:10 PM, M3AN said:

Lifted the car today to check out the diff with the endoscope that @aja540i lent me... and fail. The largest internal hex bit I have is 12mm, need 14mm. All good, I'm not too concerned although it does mean that when I eventually need a diff service the rear cover will probably need to come off (I need to know the type of LSD before I replace any lube).

So, thanks again to @aja540i lending me a 14mm hex I got in there and had a look today... nothing. Basically I could see SFA and what I could see didn't tell me much. What I did see was that the blue (don't know if that means anything) diff fluid was bright and really clean (it looked brand new).

Looks like it'll be diff cover off to tell the full story. No rush on my part.

Edited by M3AN

28 minutes ago, M3AN said:

A little bit more faux Alcantara... quite good I think and now matches the rest.

Alcantara_iDrive_01.jpg

Alcantara_iDrive_02.jpg

Alcantara_iDrive_03.jpg

How easy is it to get this piece off? Mines quite scuffed so need to get a replacement piece for it. 

Or Alcantara wrap it to match the mirror...

25 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

How easy is it to get this piece off? Mines quite scuffed so need to get a replacement piece for it. 

Or Alcantara wrap it to match the mirror...

You have a Alcantara wrapped mirror? ?

Anyway, the answer is "easy" it's held in by 4-6 "V" clips (for lack of a better description) and just pops out with a bit of leverage. I used a plastic trim tool but I suspect a credit card and fingernails could do. It is in there tight but comes out fine, the connecting cable is really long so no drama with that.  

22 hours ago, M3AN said:

You have a Alcantara wrapped mirror? ?

Anyway, the answer is "easy" it's held in by 4-6 "V" clips (for lack of a better description) and just pops out with a bit of leverage. I used a plastic trim tool but I suspect a credit card and fingernails could do. It is in there tight but comes out fine, the connecting cable is really long so no drama with that.  

Yeah came with the car, even has M coloured stitching on it. Its oversized and probably a knock off but it does the job. 

Awesome, that's what I was hoping it would just pop out. 

This thread has made me pro-1-series. Such an awesome example. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, qube said:

the bbs wheels look better on the 1....

?

Rear wiper has a fundamentally flawed design, common problem (check yours if you have an E81/7):

Yuck_01.jpg

Fixed with a NZ$70 pattern part from China, arrived in less than a week with free shipping. Over NZ$350 for a BMW one that has the same flaw so will just fail again. It should be illegal to sell something with a known design flaw. Oh yeah, it is illegal BMW. Tisk, tisk.

New_Motor.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Rear wiper has a fundamentally flawed design, common problem (check yours if you have an E81/7):

Yuck_01.jpg

Fixed with a NZ$70 pattern part from China, arrived in less than a week with free shipping. Over NZ$350 for a BMW one that has the same flaw so will just fail again. It should be illegal to sell something with a known design flaw. Oh yeah, it is illegal BMW. Tisk, tisk.

New_Motor.jpg

My white 130i had had the rear wiper deleted. Looks quite good. 

Rear wiper doesn't work on the other two 130i, read plenty about the fault and didn't think there was a cheap fix available. You got a link? 

33 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

My white 130i had had the rear wiper deleted. Looks quite good. 

Rear wiper doesn't work on the other two 130i, read plenty about the fault and didn't think there was a cheap fix available. You got a link? 

A few people do the delete and it does look good. When I was waiting for the new motor I was considering leaving it off but the first rain convinced me otherwise. The low pressure zone at the rear of the car just sucks in too much crap.

Here's the link, unfortunately the free shipping offer seems to have ended (but it's still only NZ$16): 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000006623345.html

• Thanks 1

Yeah, Ive left mine on due to the vortex crap sucking vortex behind E87s, constantly got a dirty ass.

There must be something in Japan they do to gas flaps that breaks them, it really does seem to be a japanese import thing.

In BMWs case they aren't flaws, they're features!

I think I need to get a Japanese car again next to remember what it's like to have a car that never needs any work.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Awesome build!

Makes me want to go all-out with my new 120 now ? haha

Following for more juicy updates ?

One side done... can you spot the difference?

One_Side.jpg

No... must be my eye sight. But I did notice this M130iA ??

1 hour ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

No... must be my eye sight. But I did notice this M130iA ??

How on earth did you spot the car in that picture Glenn? ?

Before:

Old.jpg

After:

New.jpg

3 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

and its AA verified!?

lol - I looked at those two pics and said to myself "Dave, you need to get rid of that sticker!". It shall be removed.

• Like 1

I drove past yours the a week or 2 ago and wondered who's this was...Makes sense now! Did you sell the black coupe?