M3AN

My Fun 130i (E87 LCI Motorsport Auto)

Had to look that up, never heard of "MILV's" before... and still not entirely sure what they are! ?

Perhaps if I ever need to replace the valve cover gasket (again - it was done last year by a PO).

Gives 1mm more lift, for more vtec yo. 

Lifted the car today to check out the diff with the endoscope that @aja540i lent me... and fail. The largest internal hex bit I have is 12mm, need 14mm. All good, I'm not too concerned although it does mean that when I eventually need a diff service the rear cover will probably need to come off (I need to know the type of LSD before I replace any lube).

So I played with a set of spare wheels... I don't think it makes any difference to be honest although the e36 offsets do fill out the guards more, not sure what BMW was smoking when they defined the specs of the wheels for the e8x?

Stock_01.jpg

BBS_01.jpg

buy a 14mm bolt  and two nuts to lock together= cheap 14 mm allen key

• Like 1

I have inhex sockets of all sizes, along with equipment to lift & work on cars, bikes, etc. Come out to the wild west & we can have a look-see

• Like 1

Have you tried a 0-100 time with yours yet? Im curious to see what the difference to mine is, and auto vs manual. Throw torque pro on that android headunit, works pretty well. 

Should be pretty similar, I think the LSD (and not sh*t RFT) is the difference to my 5.4s  and the stock low 6s times.  Slowest point with mine is the change into 3rd, which is right before 100kmh (painful)

34 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Have you tried a 0-100 time with yours yet? Im curious to see what the difference to mine is, and auto vs manual. Throw torque pro on that android headunit, works pretty well. 

Should be pretty similar, I think the LSD (and not sh*t RFT) is the difference to my 5.4s  and the stock low 6s times.  Slowest point with mine is the change into 3rd, which is right before 100kmh (painful)

No, I haven't but seeing your recent post in the other thread made me think I should do so. I'm about to go out and play with Carly, let's see if I can configure Torque for a timed run. 

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

The black on black ‘murdered out’ look imo lacks contrast. The bbs wheels in shadow chrome or bronze I reckon would look a lot better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

The black on black ‘murdered out’ look imo lacks contrast. The bbs wheels in shadow chrome or bronze I reckon would look a lot better.

I tend to agree actually. My dilemma (first world problems) is that the tyres have miles left in them so no incentive to change wheels on that front. I'm not sure if I want to go to 18's simply from a cost and comfort perspective and the only other wheels I have are the 17" black BBS ones pictured above (I prefer the stock rims) and a couple of sets of 17" style 24's in various widths (not sure how they'd fit/look). I think 17's look fine on these cars tbh.

I actually like the look of the stock 18" style 208's... but then I'm presented with my original dilemma ...

e87_Style_208.jpg

Edited by M3AN

58 minutes ago, qube said:

get a cheap set of style 193's and fit them. perfect offset for the 1

Prefer the 208's myself if I were going to 18's.

I got a set of 207s in the garage if anyone wants them for 50 bucks.  Need new tyres but they might pass a wof.

Edited by GorGasm

Interesting, I just got a 100% refund from PayPal for my Avin Android unit... 

Because we were unable to obtain additional information from ///AVIN regarding your claim, this case has been resolved in your favor and you have received a refund of 517,94 USD. If you paid with a credit card, the money is refunded to your credit card. Please note that it can take up to 30 days for the refund to appear on your card statement. 

...and I wonder if that's related to a factory/office shutdown in China (AVIN "USA" is only a legal front for a Chinese company). If so then I almost feel bad for them.

They still have a US$350 "security" lodged against my credit card that they required (against my protestations) for the replacement unit and there's another NZ$100 on top that I had to pay for return shipping (they offered me US$50 to compensate for that, I accepted). It will be interesting to see if they follow up with that "security" because that's also through PayPal.

So, I think worst case scenario for me is US$414 and best case is NZ$100... I'm happy with either.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 2:15 PM, GorGasm said:

I got a set of 207s in the garage if anyone wants them for 50 bucks.  Need new tyres but they might pass a wof.

Someone will pay more than that IMHO. Chuck them on Trademe with a $1 reserve pick-up only and I'm sure they'll go for more than $50.

Ugh, I've had the inevitable "fuel pot" (fuel filler cap) spring/hinge failure... I knew it was on the way out and it will happen to every single E8x 1er because it's a terrible, terrible design (those lax Germans eh?). 

So now it swings out on left hand turns and then bangs back in on right hand turns. Nice. I did run the gauntlet by not preemptively ordering a replacement. It's a bit of a PITA job but a doable DIY nevertheless.

Edited by M3AN

Do you think its still worth buying from AVIN? (in light of everything that has happened recently)

Looking for a unit for the E39. To be honest the Avin unit for the E39 is the old style with 7" screen and I would much rather go for the bigger 9" screen only version.

https://avinusa.com/avant-4-multimedia-navigation-system-for-bmw-5-series-e39-m5.html

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=e39+android+9"&_sacat=0

33 minutes ago, qube said:

Do you think its still worth buying from AVIN? (in light of everything that has happened recently)

Looking for a unit for the E39. To be honest the Avin unit for the E39 is the old style with 7" screen and I would much rather go for the bigger 9" screen only version.

https://avinusa.com/avant-4-multimedia-navigation-system-for-bmw-5-series-e39-m5.html

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=e39+android+9"&_sacat=0

I'd certainly pick the unit you wanted rather than the vendor to be honest... sure I had a less than ideal experience with Avin but they have been responsive and everything seems to have been resolved (if i believe PayPal). There's nothing to suggest you couldn't have a better or worse experience from another vendor.

I think mine had that, but the autolock on drive away stopped it happening :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GorGasm said:

I think mine had that, but the autolock on drive away stopped it happening :D

Now that's interesting... I don't have auto lock (can code it) but if I manually lock via the button on the dash it *doesn't* lock the fuel cap... strange that the button and auto function lock different things! 

One odd 1 serues fuel filler factoid for you, when the lanyard snaps, if you order the BMW part it comes with the cap for a couple of thousand rupee, but if you get the mini part (which is identical) you can order the lanyard as a separate piece for like $7...

I still wonder why the bloody thing is tethered? That seems like a solution just hanging around waiting for a relevant problem.

And on my Android head unit... PayPal refunded the original purchase and (apparently unilaterally) cancelled the security deposit for the second unit. So $0.

Avin quickly reached out to me (no surprise I suppose) and said 'err, help' and sent me a 3rd invoice for original cost less US$150.

I've replied and told them I won't be a dick (well, I might actually be a dick but I'm not dishonest) and as soon as I receive the credit from PayPal in my bank account, I'll pay the latest Avin invoice to settle the transaction.

I also told them that, if they'd owned their mistake from the outset (sending the wrong product) and made me whole, we wouldn't have ended up in this mess which has ultimately cost them more than it could have.

In 2020 surely organisations must understand that they need to be agile and outcome oriented rather than fragile and process bound. Read a book about the Amazon business model where the customer really is king.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, M3AN said:

Now that's interesting... I don't have auto lock (can code it) but if I manually lock via the button on the dash it *doesn't* lock the fuel cap... strange that the button and auto function lock different things! 

Don't need to code lock on drive away, turn it on via the options on the indicator stalk.

Fuel flap isn't supposed to lock via the central lock button inside the car. Comes in handy at night if you want the fuel station attendant to full your car but you also don't want to get car jacked

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

I still wonder why the bloody thing is tethered? That seems like a solution just hanging around waiting for a relevant problem.

Because some people are idiots. Noticed someones un-tethered fuel cap was in the gutter at the exit to the fuel station near work the other day, so yeah, that's why they are tethered.

• Haha 1