Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Android head units for E90/92 etc

I have watched a few reviews on the Android V8 and 9 head units for the E9X cars. Seems like they are starting to get things pretty sorted just wondering if anyone has used any of these Units?

I've just ordered an Avin unit for my 130, I think they're the generally preferred brand (and it's Android 9.0) - https://avinusa.com/

DHL tells me it'll be delivered on Monday (with no GST), I'll provide a first impressions when I get it, they review well.

• Like 1

Keen on your thoughts on the new versions Dave, the Avin 3 is what’s in the 750 

On 12/21/2019 at 6:51 PM, M3AN said:

I've just ordered an Avin unit for my 130, I think they're the generally preferred brand (and it's Android 9.0) - https://avinusa.com/

DHL tells me it'll be delivered on Monday (with no GST), I'll provide a first impressions when I get it, they review well.

Any updates?

• Like 1

Yes, thanks for the reminder... I put a few things in my 130 thread so dig in there also.

• Delivery was DHL, tracked, txt updates and web tracking, it arrived faster than I expected it to, less than a week.
  • There aren't any instructions but most of it is self-explanatory, disassembling and cutting the dash and routing the wiring to your liking will take the most time.
  • They incorrectly sent me a 2GB unit but my 4GB replacement is expected on Friday.
  • The touch screen is WAY better than I expected it to be, it's bright, clear and responsive, I'm very happy with this aspect, you don't need glare guards even in direct sunlight.
  • Away from the main interface you have all Google Play services so you can log into the store and download apps and offline maps really easily (assuming you have an internet connection, BT or WiFi). You can't load these as a start/home screen though (e.g. boot to Torque)
  • The various audio interfaces are less than ideal; OEM audio + Android music + nav (separate speaker) + BT all gets a bit confused most of the time... now, that could be me but I'm not sure I'm that incompetent. I'm going to try to set it all up again from fresh with the 4GB unit.
  • The real added value for me is widescreen nav at the moment because I don't listen to a lot of music. The music player supports local, AUX, USB and BT and is pretty elegant and can show album art and tags. But the rest? I hardly use.
  • I've added no cameras or extra sensors so can't talk to them.
  • Support was prompt but I ran into a 'policy roadblock' at the 2GB -> 4GB exchange and that took some time (and a brief escalation to PayPal) to sort out.
  • They're exactly the same unit as sold across Alibaba and eBay but with some assurance of support. They do not ship or provide support from the US despite the "USA" in their name. I don't think that's made a difference though.

If you want specific other info ask away, happy to try and answer.

Avin_Install_02.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2