Sign in to follow this  
JonRP

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5

Hi all, I'm looking to replace set of tyres prior to the festive season annual road trips in particular up to Hampton Downs for the BMW Festival.

Looking at replacing with Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 as have the previous model all round now.  Does anyone rate theses tyres or suggestions with alternatives please?

Haven't used the 5's myself but they appear to be a decent road tyre. In my experience Goodyear pricing has always been too much compared with Michellin and Bridgestone equivalents. Their overall performance doesn't usually test any better, so ive rarely used their products over the years.

I typically recommend Michellin PS4's these days as they are usually well priced on Hyper.co.nz and offer decent performance for the $. Prices can vary more than expected with certain tyre sizes so you probably want to factor that in as well.

I have F1 A5s on the rear of my M3 and like them, always have. I've also found them to be quite a bit less than the equivalent Michellins (in 255/18) but that has required me to shop around.

I use the F1 directionals up front for more stable tracking and better aquaplane prevention than assyms.

I have the 2s on one set of wheels and PS4s on the other. As long as the 5s aren't worse, they're an excellent tyre. I feel like the PS4s have a slight edge on grip but the Eagle F1s break into a slide more progressively, my traction control seems to have an easier time with them due to that.
Can't go wrong either way though, both are excellent. I think I have a preference for the Goodyears which goes against all the love the Michelins get on sports car forums... 

Thank you @Eagle, @M3AN, @Matth5 feedback much appreciated.  My rears 255/18 Front 235/18 on existing F1 A2s came with Milliy on purchase in November which I’m really happy with.  The new model F1 A5s on online review came in overall #3 Best Performance tyre which will do me I’m thinking as my little 325ci is more fun than extreme performance.  M3 is the next purchase mid next year!