Sign in to follow this  
pc233

Wheel-well electrics in an E60/E61

Good morning all,

Having just purchased an 2006 E61, and been supplied with a full-sized spare wheel as well, I would like to know if it is possible to move the foam tray containing some electrics out of the wheel-well.

Aside from a seemingly poor design choice of putting electrical components in a place that can potentially fill with water, I would like to put the full-sized spare into a place that funnily enough is designed to contain a wheel rather than having it clutter up the boot space.

I've read that it is possible, but I've not found anywhere that actually tells you how to do it for an E61.

If it is possible, to where should I move them, how difficult is it to do so, and will I need to reset anything in order to avoid having a bunch of bells and whistles go off?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Paul

You can possibly do it by untaping the loom and moving the modules to a new location, maybe at the side by the tail lights, then re- taping the loom. If you can do it without having to cut/ join any wires it should be fairly easy, but I suspect they will have a common earth that you may have to move as well. You will probably want to check that your wheel on its side isn't taller than the well before you get too carried away, from memory the plastic beam that supports the boot floor is quite deep so you may have to leave that out. 

On 12/31/2019 at 7:55 AM, aja540i said:

You can possibly do it by untaping the loom and moving the modules to a new location, maybe at the side by the tail lights, then re- taping the loom. If you can do it without having to cut/ join any wires it should be fairly easy, but I suspect they will have a common earth that you may have to move as well. You will probably want to check that your wheel on its side isn't taller than the well before you get too carried away, from memory the plastic beam that supports the boot floor is quite deep so you may have to leave that out. 

Thanks for the reply.

I finally found a link that takes you through the step-by-step process of moving the electrics out of the wheel-well. The clip is about 13mins long, but the last half is all about other issues the E61 which he bought has, so the relevant part is only about 6.30mins long and well worth a look.

Cheers,

Paul