Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Solvent to breakdown/soak valves with carbon deposits

Hi all, not for the BMW, those valves are pretty clean.

But thought i would ask, 

There's some serious carbon build on valves up on a direct injection engine, and i'm looking to take the manifold off, soak the ports in a solvent (like gum gutter, seafoam etc) for a few hours and then attack with a wire brush.

Trouble is, those products don't exist over here in New Zealand.

Anyone know any readily available solvents that will dissolve or atleast loosen up carbon.

Edited by 325_driver

Subaru upper engine cleaner used to be the recommended one but ive never used it myself. Ive also seen a CRC version intake cleaner at Repco.

If its real bad and baked on then i would think media blasting would be the only way to do a thorough job.

• Like 1

Would brake cleaner work?

Soak in kerosene

Used to use the Subaru upper engine cleaner on a lot of my older cars. Worked a treat, wasn't too badly priced from Winger Subaru from memory. 

• Like 2

I used petrol ?

I tried 2 cans on the CRC cleaner, and the Nulon one, prior to stripping down my Mrs Touran FSI engine - they appeared to do nothing, other than pooling in the intake!

I cleaned it all out with petrol, a small wire brush, plastic scraper and a toothbrush. Right as rain after that.

I'd run the cans throught a couple of hundred kms prior, then had to do an emergency repair one evening, so decided to strip off the intake at the same time. I already had a spare intake I'd cleaned prior, but the head ports and valves had to be done in place. Turn the motor to close each port, scrub, clean and rinse, then I emptied the ports with a mityvac (Use a non-explosion-causing vacuum source!).

I think they sprays work well enough on port injected cars, as the port injection washed the ports and valves with petrol. On direct injected cars, EGR, Oil vapour, vlave stem oil and valve timing all contribute to the build up, and heat REALLY bakes it on.

Thanks all, i wasn't sure if petrol or kerosene would work but will give it a shot, but i'll just leave it for several hours before hitting it with a pick and wire brush

Edited by 325_driver

Subaru upper engine cleaner, all the dealers will have it, it makes some impressive smoke :D

If its bad enough, a wallnut blast might be the only way

@KwS believe me i was debating it

just got the manifold and rail off, wahoo, going to be a fun new years haha

80679878_1427364460748602_6669341688151932928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=sDighHy-TdwAQmAcTiZmbLd0jFm_UzPgYAxbUW4iL5gtIIUwI9xQ8yYcA&_nc_ht=scontent.fakl8-1.fna&oh=f9ed6790c0e8ea06792a3f677960e433&oe=5EB383BE

81577251_730053977520078_8436095078274957312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ohc=GB2RA0yEXKkAQnl44a5bFbQqr4IHlfMBmxYERuy0gQ4kE3P2H7SOa8L5A&_nc_ht=scontent.fakl8-1.fna&oh=3fc8c97de1b1e25c8721a60b754d96f3&oe=5E65DD36

That's not too bad at all. Walnut blasting is the safest way because you don't risk etching any of the surfaces 

Otherwise start with the least aggressive approach possible. You could get the majority out with gun cleaning brushes and degreaser 

yeah, going to soak in kero, then light scraping.

got me a set of these

also going to rangi me up a scotch brite-round-wire device and put it on the drill

ToolPRO Tube With Hex Shaft Brush Set - 6 Piece, , scanz_hi-res

Keep in kind with excessive carbon build up you may have poor valve sealing so be prepared to do an oil change after and let it crank a bit before firing. 

Direct injection is a total pain in the arse. 

• Like 1

oh man totally didnt think about it that way, i've already flushed the oil heaps, like 8l of sacrificial new 15w40 through it with flush to get it even resembling oil colour again, and then some nice synthetic in it and looking nice and golden. Oil was looking like black sludge when I picked it up. haha oh well.

With that in mind, i'm leaving the ports soaking in kero over night, and going to see if the levels have changed at all, that should give me a good indication of its going past the vales into the oil.

i'll also be cranking it a bit without plugs too after all of this, just to be super safe.

Edited by 325_driver

Not a bad result

Soaked in kero for a few hours

- loosened up big bits with screw driver / pick

- brake cleaner and scotch brite to get the final bits off

Found a new use for my paint gun spraying in there to blow out the liquid, i look like i've been stuck in a chimney for weeks now

image.thumb.png.a09f2d5784420fde1b84ab9b6be65518.png

image.thumb.png.ca21cc359cdd32ec56ea710c1cd37e13.png

• Like 6

It appears to be a VW group 2.0 FSI engine - same as in my Mrs Touran, and what was in mine, before it had "the operation".

Yup 2.0 FSI. Making a catch can to hopefully reduce the intake garbage. The inside of the plenum is pretty wet with oily residue.

Turned a paint can with some JB weld and old BMW quick connectors into a chur bro catch can mod

The top one ain't going to be a breather but sealed with a dip stick in it haha

Going to have a tyre valve on the bottom as a drain valve. Using an old BMW filter in it to help stop the oil

278ff7b67a12b3b7773fbdb3cf1720c6.0.jpg

• Like 2

Great kiwi ingenuity there mate.

I made a catch can out of a remote oil filter housing

Edited by zero

On 1/6/2020 at 4:06 PM, 325_driver said:

Making a catch can to hopefully reduce the intake garbage.

On 1/6/2020 at 10:31 PM, zero said:

I made a catch can out of a remote oil filter housing

I installed an R32 VR6 ?.

More complicated than a catch can... but very effective ?

• Like 4