hunter

Project E39

Success!

after biting the bullet and splashing out for a brand new clockspring from Coombes. (They had one in stock so snapped it up)

I now have working paddles, Cruise control and stereo controls again, but with new OEM part reliability ?

we also gently polished the heinous water spots off the windows. These have been a problem I’ve been trying to get rid of for some time. Today with the right product and gentle polishing with a drill, success. Stoked. 

E90BA2BB-3423-45C5-8964-6629C93EF410.jpeg

New switch installed on existing switch boards and wiring above8FB4EC4B-4093-494C-A439-5E90415664FF.jpeg

old switch de constructed  

30B9C4B7-F8EC-42BE-8EFC-772E3C63A0EA.jpeg
new switches getting installed with covers getting new grease for a smooth action  

C1160EC3-ED5B-431D-BD71-EC3AFF0BDF21.jpeg
switches back in ready for trim and airbag. Along with new clock spring. 

Edited by hunter
Added some photos
  • Like 2

Few fixes needed this week. New radiator installed to cure the slow but quickening coolant leak. Thanks to Mosens here in Hamilton for sorting super fast. 

loosened sun roof surround today from on top to release the headliner and  wedge some high density foam between the headliner and roof.

The head liner was popping and crackling when going over bumps at times, very annoying. 
it also looked like it was bumping the sunroof cassette in the same region. Will test tonight. 

Update: foam placement worked a treat not more popping from headliner. Yuss. 

Edited by hunter
  • Like 1

Was persuing my build sheet yesterday and notived my car was apprently optioned with Xenon lights. but has Halogens. ?

ths is consistent with a number of inconsistecies on the build sheet and what is in the car; such as, multifuntion wheel, cruise control (since retro fitted) and different wheels.

the wheel would be explainable most people change the at some stage, bummed about the headlight difference though as visability at night is poor  -

I will add Xenons to the upgrade list. In the interim stronger Halogens bulbs will be fitted.

2 minutes ago, qube said:

Looks like xenons to me?

They have halogen H7 bulbs plus angel eye bulb. Am I missing something obvious here ? 

Definitely sound like the halogen kind unfortunately. Strange that someone would swap out for worse headlights unless it's had a bump and insurance cheaped out ?

5 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Definitely sound like the halogen kind unfortunately. Strange that someone would swap out for worse headlights unless it's had a bump and insurance cheaped out ?

Yeah I think it’s had a slight bump in the past. Given some over spray on the bumper I’ve found. But shitty downgrade to make for sure and must have been some time ago as previous owner had it for ages and wasn’t done by him. He said. 

Sadly. No. 
see pic from back of the light. Halogen bulbs only. 

F3E5B631-93DA-47AC-922D-3B69670C8F70.jpeg

That's a weird one. I didn't know that the facelift headlights came with halogens. Does the housing still have the mounts for the ballast?

nah if the entire light was changed at some stage, these would be on the previous pair.

Halogens are standard across the range in all years I believe, Xenons optioned, often standard on higher end like 540/m5.

• Like 2

Stu is correct, i've had a few 525s 530s with halogen facelift lights.
Pretty much all facelight 540s i've seen, have xenon

Yep. From the outside with lights off they look identical. 
Now we’ve cleared that up ?, I need to find me some Xenons to fit to bring it back to build spec. 

Edited by hunter
  • Like 1

Repco had a special in Narva 150 plus bulbs this week. These claim to offer a longer beam length and better brightness at the same  color temp I’ve  got with the rest of the lights.

Replacing the poor performing repco branded long life bulbs for the low beams only at this stage . I hate it when stuff like light globes gets skimped on. 

installing these and going for a night drive (mostly to get my kids to sleep) visibility was better with low beam and a lot better with high beam.

Previously high beam was like having a hot spot in the middle with dim light on the edges of the beams  now it is fuller everywhere, a welcome cost effective upgrade for now.

id really like the angle to be a tad higher to go further down the road. Manual adjustment is something I miss from the e46  

Edited by hunter

Road tripping. 

6A575DB8-6FED-4368-94CF-8F8C9A685B84.jpeg

8B224CD5-8ECA-4858-A9BD-617F813C5606.jpeg

8CD56005-E44E-4E80-A964-F3AE3F18087E.jpeg

231ADCA1-1024-4F20-AD6F-049E98D86971.jpeg

E8BAE14D-B361-4F3B-A13A-B0180733FBA2.jpeg

• Like 3

Made it up the mountain today  such a fun road up to Turoa BF5B785B-A961-4474-A069-2FB6FD1DCE73.jpeg

76ACAD94-B653-4D04-9162-A304D5942817.jpeg

Edited by hunter
  • Like 2

Happy early Father’s Day to me. New low profile 3000kg jack. 

5C72CAFC-450B-4D05-AAD0-1C413385DB81.jpeg

• Like 3

Few minor things tiked off the list this last couple of weeks;

- new radiator was dripping, turned out to be the drain plug wasnt as snug as it needed ot be, eaay fix

- realigned my under tray brackes (how i saw the rad was leaking) and now all under tray hardware can find it's home. Also instaled new captive washer where needed for the under tray screws.

- treated the rear cubby to a good clean and protect to remove the white ashy condition the rubber coating was starting to take on, now looks near new.

- sorted rattle in drivers side seat belt mount and poorly fitted B pillar trim in the same job. grear and a tighten applied to the seat beld mount and removal and reinstal of the Lower B pilar trim meant i could liine it properly with al the clips in place. some whwre bent fomr soem haphazard reinstall in a previous life thankfuly they werent broken, as i had initialy thought. 

however in the processi noticed the rear seat trim is broken and missing a clip, so in the market for those, if anyone reading thiss has one. 

-  Oil change this weekend, bit over due, due to lock down forgetfulness  and other priortities but going to smash that out tonight or tomorrow.

9FA37FFE-4588-4161-87E0-511E5D024CE0.jpeg

41D1B7AA-FC90-481A-AB9E-5BF4996CF8CA.jpeg

42B6EA8D-D2A1-4127-955A-4A5DF8DEEDEF.jpeg

Edited by hunter
  • Like 2

Completed my first solo oil change on the 530i today. 

Going for 12 month change intervals. Even though it’s not a daily the same cadence worked well on my E46. Car turns 20 next month.  ? 

• Like 2

Rear sill trim replaced today with a great condition 2nd hand one for an amazing price. and new clips. I feel whole now. Lol. 

Life is all about the little things.

What did you use to get the "white ashy" stuff off the cubby? My centre console handle is looking a bit like that. I have 2 others here, one I painted black which turned out crap, the other two might be salvagable!

• Like 1

I used Chemical Guys all purpose cleaner to clean the surface. This was applied with a fresh micro fibre towel. I did this several times. I then used Maguires interior protection spray to bring back a bit the blackness and add some protection. 

this looked good but I wanted more black so used Solution Finish black trim restorer for a final coat. 

• Like 1

Car failed its warrant today. Excessive play in right from rack end. 
order placed with fcp euro for the Lemförder tie rod kit. Great value at 104 usd for left and right plus boots. And the fcp lifetime warranty. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ohhh bits. 

less than a week from Michigan to NZ. 

1AAECD4B-C048-4F3F-BCB3-4018C1925EC6.jpeg

• Like 2